Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 May 2010 (Wednesday) 22:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Think Tank Retrospective 10 Pinestone

RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 05, 2010 01:59 |  #151

Jannie wrote in post #10478422 (external link)
I showed it with the 100-400 attached to a MKIII, I think the 70-200 2.8 is a little taller but I'd do it, or get the 20, it's not really that big of a deal.

Yes, your pictures (and your review) are very helpful.

Having said that, the 70-200/2.8's are slightly longer than the 100-400L (7.8"/199mm vs 7.4"/189mm). So it will create a bigger bulge than shown in your photo.

I never said R10 is a bad bag -- it's probably perfect for my current gear. However, the R20 is arguably the better bag for those wanting to carry a 70-200/2.8 mounted. My dilemma lies with the Mk II ("to buy or not to buy"), not the Retrospective series....

:cool:

Above water: 7D | 400D | 10-22 | 17-55IS | 15-85IS | 85/1.8 | 100L IS | 70-200/4L IS | 70-300IS | 100-400L | 580EX II
Underwater: S95 + WP-DC38 + dual dive lights | Olympus OM-D E-M5 (await housing)
Full Gear List
Need/Want: More time for photography (And some talent would be nice.... :lol:)

sponsored links
JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 05, 2010 16:48 |  #152

Ah. Didn't realize that. Still probably wouldn't be a huge issue - there is a lot of material in that flap and you'd just have to try it. For me, I'd think the 20 would still be too deep.

j.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

PLSV
61 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 10, 2010 10:18 |  #153

I just received my R10 yesterday. I had to come and review the photos here... Mine is green, and darker than they appear online.

In these shots on POTN it looks like a more neutral colour, with a darker tan edging and straps. Mine is green, a dark neutral green but pretty much green. I was definitely surprised.

I think I'd lean toward black now, though I don't think this will show dust or dirt... maybe I will fall in love soon. I will work on that!

I do think the size is amazing, wonderful. I can't believe I was looking at the 20 or 30, for all this holds! Now, to be able to lift it all. :-)

RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 10, 2010 12:06 |  #154

PLSV wrote in post #10510795 (external link)
I just received my R10 yesterday. I had to come and review the photos here... Mine is green, and darker than they appear online.

In these shots on POTN it looks like a more neutral colour, with a darker tan edging and straps. Mine is green, a dark neutral green but pretty much green. I was definitely surprised.

Care to post a photo (with the bag next to something for colour reference)?

A Macbeth Colour Chart (external link) is obviously the ideal, or you can simply use a US dollar bill....

:D

Above water: 7D | 400D | 10-22 | 17-55IS | 15-85IS | 85/1.8 | 100L IS | 70-200/4L IS | 70-300IS | 100-400L | 580EX II
Underwater: S95 + WP-DC38 + dual dive lights | Olympus OM-D E-M5 (await housing)
Full Gear List

Jannie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 10, 2010 12:41 |  #155

Weird, maybe it's your monitor ( do I dare say that to anyone here) cause the photos I posted are the same color as my bags and yes there is a little bit of green in them, I guess that's why they call it Pinestone, a cross between pine and rocks?

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 10, 2010 15:00 |  #156

PLSV wrote in post #10510795 (external link)

I think I'd lean toward black now, though I don't think this will show dust or dirt... maybe I will fall in love soon. I will work on that!

I do think the size is amazing, wonderful. I can't believe I was looking at the 20 or 30, for all this holds! Now, to be able to lift it all. :-)

THe only reason to get a 20 is for the additional depth (longer lens). I would not want to carry any more stuff in it. The 10 gets way heavy enough. I think it is common for all of us gadget freak photogs to load up on stuff when we really should only have 2 lenses (+1 on the camera) and a flash and some minor incidentals.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

w00tgasm
65 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 10, 2010 23:30 |  #157

I just ordered a Retrospective 10 in Pinestone...
Hoping it gets here soon. A backpack + Summer does not feel that nice.

PaoloMontano.ca (external link)

PLSV
61 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 11, 2010 13:12 |  #158

RetroBlader wrote in post #10511207 (external link)
Care to post a photo (with the bag next to something for colour reference)?

Ha! I am Canadian! But in the Bahamas, so I have some US and some Bahamian. They don't deal in Canadian.

Here are two shots. Maybe it is the light here, between the sky and sea - it is very blue compared to Ottawa. But I have to say the R10 does look lovely with the US dollar - the colours are comparable, and with the dollar on it, it looks a bit more like a grey-green.

Maybe I should stop staring at it. ;)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

PLSV
61 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 11, 2010 13:14 |  #159

Jannie wrote in post #10511376 (external link)
Weird, maybe it's your monitor ( do I dare say that to anyone here) cause the photos I posted are the same color as my bags and yes there is a little bit of green in them, I guess that's why they call it Pinestone, a cross between pine and rocks?

Well, yes. I think mine (in my eyes) seems more a heathered pine green... less stone.

But each day I am loving it more, so that is a good thing.

Quizzical_Squirrel
489 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 11, 2010 13:28 |  #160

I ordered either the 10 or the 20, I've forgotten now :) , at the start of June when they were sold out but on backorder.

Seeing this thread has reminded me of my order. It seems to be taking a long time to fulfil those orders - did I read about a strike or something somewhere?

RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 11, 2010 14:02 |  #161

PLSV wrote in post #10516424 (external link)
Ha! I am Canadian! But in the Bahamas, so I have some US and some Bahamian. They don't deal in Canadian.

Considering the international membership of POTN, I don't think Canadian bills are going to be meaningful to many of them. On the other hand, US dollars (or Euro bills) are much more universally circulated and make for much better reference.

PLSV wrote in post #10516424 (external link)
Here are two shots. Maybe it is the light here, between the sky and sea - it is very blue compared to Ottawa. But I have to say the R10 does look lovely with the US dollar - the colours are comparable, and with the dollar on it, it looks a bit more like a grey-green.

Yes, looking at your shots, I would definitely agree that there is a lot of green (far from neural grey), so "grey-green" is perhaps a good way to describe it.

(But of course, as a guy, I'm very colour-challenged....)

:cool:

Full Gear List

RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 11, 2010 14:16 as a reply to  @ PLSV's post |  #162

Jannie wrote in post #10213580 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i205.photobucke​t.com …egirl/Retrospec​tive10.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

In her initial post, Janine's R10 definitely had a more neutral-gray look to it. However, it may be because of the warm surroundings.

Jannie wrote in post #10298699 (external link)

http://i205.photobucke​t.com …lousegirl/Pines​tone10.jpg (external link)

Once Janine added a black accessory bag (which helps to set a reference), it became easy to see the green in the pinestone.

The outdoor light (bluish) may have helped as well.

Jannie wrote in post #10478422 (external link)

http://i205.photobucke​t.com …usegirl/W100-400-0643.jpg (external link)

Back indoors, but now with a black accessory bag as reference, it's easy to see the green.

By far, your photos showed the most green (and I'm not talking about the US greenback)....

:lol:

Full Gear List

PLSV
61 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 11, 2010 16:02 as a reply to  @ RetroBlader's post |  #163

Thanks for reproducing the previous photos, RetroBlader!

You're right, with the black accessory bag the green is more evident. But I see the edging as a medium tan, too. And the strap. Mine are green-grey and darker.
Or perhaps it is more reflective so the colours aren't as faithful.

Or my mind is confused from all this sun and warm air...

canondslr
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 13, 2010 16:27 |  #164

If you dont mind me asking:
I have Retro 30 and love it so much (the look, the carrying capacity, etc), so I used it as a transport bag from house to car when I have a shoot.
Now I want the smaller one for walking around, would Retro 10 a good fit for it ? My concern is I think Retro 10 is still to big for my walking around kit: XTi with 18-200, 430ex and 28 1.8, isnt it ?
Because Retro 10 is similar size with Retro 30, just 3 inches narrower, right ?
Thanks.

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,612 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined May 2010

Jul 13, 2010 16:40 |  #165

Now I want the smaller one for walking around, would Retro 10 a good fit for it ?

Actually I don't think so, its really about the same weight as the R-30 ( about 3 pounds) . I love the Domke F-5xc or Urban Disguise 30 for a small set up. Much lighter and compact. The Domke is less then a pound and forms to your body, the UD 30 is a little more luggage like but still much more compact then the R-10.

I am actually using my R-10 similar to how you use the 30, its not a small bag but it does hold a lot. Nice bag but not one I would take everywhere.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

sponsored links

82,667 views & 0 likes for this thread
Think Tank Retrospective 10 Pinestone
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.