Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 14 Jul 2010 (Wednesday) 01:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Target + Facebook = making it easy to print copyrighted images

msfvirginia
441 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 14, 2010 01:16 |  #1

If you check on the first part of the current Target advertisement, there seems to be a partnership between facebook and target, to allow people to print images from facebook at their local target.

I bet this is going to steam off some pro photogs!

Im tempted to redo all my images with "do not print" or something on them, or just do that with future picture uploads.

I still think facebook has the possibility to be a great marketing tool and if you only upload small res / watermarked images for tagging, its worth the risk.

sponsored links
AdamC
Goldmember
3,719 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 14, 2010 01:28 |  #2

msfvirginia wrote in post #10532556 (external link)
Ithe current Target advertisement

In what country?

msfvirginia wrote in post #10532556 (external link)
I bet this is going to steam off some pro photogs!

Pros know how to protect against it, or know not to put stuff on facebook in the first place. My $0.02.

[gallery (external link)|gear|flickr (external link)|blog (external link)]

msfvirginia
THREAD ­ STARTER
441 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 14, 2010 01:56 |  #3

United states.

and many pro's put pictures on facebook, its an easy and free way to market to your clients friends. :) Especially for the senior portrait photographers.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 14, 2010 02:02 |  #4

If they know how to market, the images are generally pretty heavily watermarked or Logo'd...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Cliff ­ Nordman
132 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 14, 2010 03:27 |  #5

What size prints are people making from 720-pixel images on Facebook?

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,305 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 14, 2010 06:35 |  #6

AdamC wrote in post #10532618 (external link)
Pros know how to protect against it, or know not to put stuff on facebook in the first place. My $0.02.

+1

Cliff Nordman wrote in post #10532930 (external link)
What size prints are people making from 720-pixel images on Facebook?

Well, they can design their own postage stamps! ;)

Website (external link) |

msfvirginia
THREAD ­ STARTER
441 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 14, 2010 08:03 |  #7

I dont think the fact that they are 720px will stop people from trying to print 4x6 or maybe even 5x7. I think one thing they offer is a collage of 9 pictures on a 4x6.

Borna ­ C
142 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 14, 2010 09:13 |  #8

and what was stopping people from printing them until now?

Canon 40D + grip, Canon 400D + grip, 430EX flash, YN-460 x 3, RF-602 triggers
Canon 50mm 1.4, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, Sigma 55-200 f/4.0-5.6
web-site (external link) facebook (external link)http://fotoidijot.blog​er.hr (external link)

msfvirginia
THREAD ­ STARTER
441 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 14, 2010 09:26 |  #9

if you make it easy for someone to do something, they are more likely to do it. They could have done it before but it would have been more work, and not everyone is tech savy to do it.

Although I still haven't found the print button on facebook to send it to target.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,779 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Jul 14, 2010 09:29 as a reply to  @ Borna C's post |  #10

Given the nature and purpose of Facebook, any photographer posting images there must take their further dissemination into account as a marketing consideration. In other words: Expected and part of the marketing plan.

That should mean, at the very least, watermarking the image for the purpose of leading prospects back to the photographer. Watermarking for this reason is not to prevent dissemination but serves the same purpose as auto dealers who put their dealership names on the rear ends of the cars they sell. With this understanding, photographers should place the marks on Facebook images so that they complement the image...not obscure it.

This Target deal has the "plus" factor of making it more likely that watermarks will not be removed before the image is printed and further disseminated. For photographers who know how to use Facebook and have a way to make it useful for their marketing, this is actually a good thing.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

john ­ stakes
424 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 14, 2010 09:30 |  #11

Borna C wrote in post #10534027 (external link)
and what was stopping people from printing them until now?

Nothing. They just made it readily available as an option. Facebook and Target know marketing, but some Photogs do not. I don't post anything to facebook except for proofs. To my understanding facebook essentially owns the images you post anyway.

Canon 50D, T2i, 70-200 2.8L, kit lenses
My real name is Curtis. John Stakes is my old DBA.
[URL]Blogger[URL="http://www.cnote​vp.blogspot.com"]

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 14, 2010 10:13 |  #12

I would suggest reading the TOS. It is true you are basically giving facebook permission to do what ever they want with the images you give them. Printing is the least of your worries.

I only post with a watermark. I may be giving away rights when I post them. But atleast I get the ad. And with a watermark on a 720px image pretty much kills any other use of the image.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 14, 2010 10:20 |  #13

I have yet to see such a button or option.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Borna ­ C
142 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 14, 2010 13:00 |  #14

for the 15060345th time, you don't give control over your images to facebook. yes, they can basicaly do what ever the #$%& they want as long it's in your album. as soon as you delete it, they can't do ****.

also, first time they exercised that right, that would be a marketing suicide for them, and they are not that dumb, obviously.

also, who in their right mind posts anything to facebook before it has been delivered and paid for? and after the pic has been paid for, anyone can do anything that he can pull off with a watermarked 700px image without me giving a flying #$%&

Canon 40D + grip, Canon 400D + grip, 430EX flash, YN-460 x 3, RF-602 triggers
Canon 50mm 1.4, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, Sigma 55-200 f/4.0-5.6
web-site (external link) facebook (external link)http://fotoidijot.blog​er.hr (external link)

msfvirginia
THREAD ­ STARTER
441 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 14, 2010 13:13 |  #15

Borna C wrote in post #10535372 (external link)
also, who in their right mind posts anything to facebook before it has been delivered and paid for? and after the pic has been paid for, anyone can do anything that he can pull off with a watermarked 700px image without me giving a flying #$%&

I think a few of us post teaser pics, or even proof galleries before the client has paid. Of course mine is heavily logo'ed with proof in the center thats not to light but light enough, and a nice border on the bottom and side so if it is saved they cant edit it out.

sponsored links

7,629 views & 0 likes for this thread
Target + Facebook = making it easy to print copyrighted images
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.