Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Jul 2010 (Wednesday) 11:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Label snobbery

Porkywill
248 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 14, 2010 11:19 |  #1

Hi.

Just a simple question, I've registered on here so I can get some advice and information for my future purchases.

I have a 450D, the 18-55 canon lens that came with it and the 70-300 canon lens (Jessops deal)

I am now looking for a wideangle lens so have been looking at the Canon, the Sigma and the Tamron.

As I'm an amateur, but keen, I'm leaning towards the Tamron as it seems to do what I want and seems to be the best price.

basically my question is, is there a level of snobbery about using Canon lenses with Canon cameras or do people genuinely rate Sigma/Tamron lenses? Trouble is, you go to most camera shops for advice and they try and sell you some specific brand, i.e. what they sell!

This is a genuine question, not a debate. I just want to know if I'm wasting my money on going third party, or are the Canon lenses actually worth the extra spend, especially for a wideangle? I will always just be a keen amateur and usually self confessed 'all the key and no idea'.

thanks in advance,

Will

Kit: 7D, Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS, Sigma 17-70mm OS, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Canon 50mm 1.8 II, Nissin Di622, Slik Pro 500 DX, SX220, Gorillapod ;)
Wanted: 77mm or 72mm ND500 filter, Sigma 8-16, Sigma 150-500

sponsored links
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 14, 2010 11:22 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Porkywill wrote in post #10534711 (external link)
Hi.

Just a simple question, I've registered on here so I can get some advice and information for my future purchases.

I have a 450D, the 18-55 canon lens that came with it and the 70-300 canon lens (Jessops deal)

I am now looking for a wideangle lens so have been looking at the Canon, the Sigma and the Tamron.

As I'm an amateur, but keen, I'm leaning towards the Tamron as it seems to do what I want and seems to be the best price.

basically my question is, is there a level of snobbery about using Canon lenses with Canon cameras or do people genuinely rate Sigma/Tamron lenses? Trouble is, you go to most camera shops for advice and they try and sell you some specific brand, i.e. what they sell!

This is a genuine question, not a debate. I just want to know if I'm wasting my money on going third party, or are the Canon lenses actually worth the extra spend, especially for a wideangle? I will always just be a keen amateur and usually self confessed 'all the key and no idea'.

thanks in advance,

Will

Depending.......Tamron lenses are usually made of good quality plastic. AF isn't as fast as the Canon USM and Sigma HSM. Sigma lenses are also made of good quality plastic. Their build is slightly better and most of their lenses use HSM AF motor. They are generally above average quality lenses. Canon L lenses are just good in terms of quality. If you need to buy lower end Canon lenses, you should consider Sigma then Tamron. If you want good quality lenses, go for Canon L.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,281 posts
Gallery: 301 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 14, 2010 11:23 |  #3

There are some great 3rd party lenses. There are also some made by those same companies that are utter crap. Its best to research the specific lens you are interested in and find out the specific strengths and weaknesses of that model.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jul 14, 2010 11:28 |  #4

Porkywill wrote in post #10534711 (external link)

What is far more important to me than the brand names on my lenses is that ALL of them have controls and "feel" that are as similar as possible. That's why I chose the three Canon "L" zoom lenses that make up the kit with my 20D.

All three of my lenses (16-35, 24-70, and 70-200 f/2.8 IS) have very similar focus and zoom rings - they all feel about the same and turn in the same direction to achieve the same result. All of the hoods mount the same way. All three have the same 77mm filter threads. Thus, my hands don't have to "re-learn" things when I change lenses.

If I could have gotten the same similarity in all the lenses (as well as similar mechanical and optical qualities to the lenses I picked) I wanted from a third-party vendor, the brand name would mean little.

The fact is, though, that I have always purchased my lenses from the manufacturers of my cameras. They have all simply had superior products.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

qbfx
456 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 14, 2010 11:30 |  #5

Actually the Tokina 11-16 2.8 is better than the Canon IQ wise. In IQ I'd put them in the following order:

1. Tokina 11-16 2.8, 2. Sigma 8-16/Canon 10-22, 3. Tokina 12-24/Sigma 10-20, 4. Tamron 10-24

╔═══════╗
:::::::::::::::::::╔════╗
::::::::5D:::::':::::::::''XS::::
╚═══════╝::::╚════╝

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 14, 2010 12:14 |  #6

A good lens is a good lens, and for the most part you get what you pay for, regardless of brand.

Once exception that I can think of is the Sigma 50mm f/1.4, which costs slightly more then the Canon 50mm f/1.4. They are both similar featured lenses, and a good copy of the Sigma is better then the Canon version. Aside from that lens, a Canon lens is usually better then Sigma (either in IQ, AF, build, or something) but costs more.

I have no preferance for brand, I get what is the best value and will do what I need it to do.

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

madhatter04
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 14, 2010 13:47 |  #7

I've used a variety of third parties without worry. I personally put my Tokina 12-24mm II in front of its Canon counterpart every day, 3 times on Sundays. I'm sad I'll be selling it within the next month, as I'm moving to FF for video/travel/portraitu​re/school reasons. Do not worry about buying 3rd party!!

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

hsmoscout
Goldmember
1,166 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 14, 2010 13:59 |  #8

Some third party lenses are highly regarded, and are often recommended over the Canon version, while some are not very good. Same with Canon lenses. The 50mm f/1.8 is considered a gem for the price, while the 75-300mm is not nearly as highly regarded and sometimes even called trash.

By the way, are you sure you got the 7-300mm, most kits with a telephoto zoom with a 450D include the 75-300. Quite a difference.
By the way, you already have a wide angle. If you mean ultra wide angle, both Canon, Tamron, Tokina, and Sigma have great options in that field!

My Gear
˙ʇsod uı ʇı xıɟ

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 14, 2010 14:02 as a reply to  @ madhatter04's post |  #9

Plenty of lousy lenses with the Canon label (75-300 anyone?), just as there are lousy 3rd party lenses. As far as ultra wide angle goes, Tokina is usually considered the best. I'd say Tamron/Canon/Sigma are roughly the same, with different trade offs for each company.

hsmoscout
Goldmember
1,166 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 14, 2010 14:02 |  #10

DStanic wrote in post #10535083 (external link)
A good lens is a good lens, and for the most part you get what you pay for, regardless of brand.

Once exception that I can think of is the Sigma 50mm f/1.4, which costs slightly more then the Canon 50mm f/1.4. They are both similar featured lenses, and a good copy of the Sigma is better then the Canon version. Aside from that lens, a Canon lens is usually better then Sigma (either in IQ, AF, build, or something) but costs more.

except the Sigma 30mm, and a few other gems from Sigma. Unfortunately for us buyer Sigma knows when they have a better lens (they also seem to know when they have a worse one).
With most lenses you get what you pay for, but the ones most talked about are the ones where you get a lot of bang for your buck.
(Canon 70-200mm series, Sigma 30mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 55-250 IS are a few that come to mind)

My Gear
˙ʇsod uı ʇı xıɟ

avan
512 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 14, 2010 14:05 |  #11

Other brand are also good, you pay a little more for the research. About the wide EF-S 11-22, not only it have a real USM, but less distortion at the end, also, it is pretty sharp at full openeing. The sigma can do the same job. Personnaly I use the Tokina 11-16mm as it fit the 1D3, but I have use the Canon for a couple years with crop body.

1DMK4, T6s, 100-400mmL IS II, 16-35mm f4, 100mm macro
[www.pbase.com/jeelee/g​alleries (external link)

niceshoes
324 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 14, 2010 16:13 |  #12

Welcome to the forum!

You picked the right place to find useful info regarding your gear choices. I agree with pretty much everything stated above. Don't worry too much about brands. Do your research and evaluate each lens on their individual merit - not because of the label. Check out reviews and the lens sample photo archive HERE. Good luck.

mrmarklin
593 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 14, 2010 16:39 |  #13

Their are lens comparison sites on the internet. fredmiranda.com has a comprehensive list of lenses that are rated by users.

In general the Canon L series is the best of the best, but there are 3rd party lenses that are also good. There is no lens snobbery, only good lenses vs less good.

Canon EOS 5D also Mk III, 24-70L, 85 IIL, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8 IS L, 180 Macro L, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, 100-400 L IS, 8-15 L Fisheye f/4, 16-35 L, 50 L , TS-E 24 L, 600 L, Extender 1.4X & 2X II, Speedlite 580EX x 2, MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite, ST-E2, Angle Finder C, RS-80N3 Remote Switch, Focusing Screen EE-D, BG-E4, Manfrotto 458B Neotec tripodw/Acratech 1155 GP Ballhead.:cool:

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 14, 2010 16:58 |  #14

Re: snobbery/fanboys, there is plenty of it. Amusingly there is even higher levels of snobbery where people will look down on Canon lenses. It's typically easy to spot though, just ignore it.

The ultra-wide lenses are probably the safest ones to go third party, as you very rarely hear of any complaints about any of them. Furthermore getting perfect focus isn't as critical at such short focal lengths, so minor AF issues are also less of a concern.

KCMO ­ Al
Goldmember
1,115 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 14, 2010 17:44 |  #15

What you will get on this forum are opinions...very little more. The answers are almost always along the line: "what I have is the answer" without empirical evidence or testing process.
Follow SkipD's advice. Operational considerations are very important. Price is also important. Higher price is almost always an indication of better quality. You'll hear a lot about making sure you get a good "copy." IMO those comments are mostly crap.

Film: Leica M-4, Elan 7E, Rolleiflex 2.8f, Pentax 645 -- Digital: Canon Pro-1, EOS 5D Mk III
EOS Lenses: Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX - Canon EF 17-40 f4.0L - Canon EF 24-105 f4.0L - Canon EF 35 f1.4L USM - Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM - Canon EF100 f2.8 Macro - Other stuff: MR 14EX - 430EX - 580EXII - ST-E2 - TC1.4x - TC-80N3

sponsored links

5,609 views & 0 likes for this thread
Label snobbery
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.