Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 14 Jul 2010 (Wednesday) 15:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why do higher end cameras use CF cards?

Namerifrats
543 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 14, 2010 15:06 |  #1

Been looking at cameras for a couple weeks now, planning to upgrade in the next few months hopefully. Wanting to go from an XSi to either a 7D or 5D MkII. Noticed these use Compact Flash cards instead of SD. I have several SD cards and have never had one to go bad. Why are these higher end cameras using these big bulky CF cards? From what Ive seen, they cost way more per GB than an SD of the same size.

"There's an Evil Monkey in my closet!"
FLICKR (external link)

sponsored links
krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Jul 14, 2010 15:07 |  #2

CF cards are faster and are generally available in larger capacities.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Namerifrats
THREAD ­ STARTER
543 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 14, 2010 15:16 as a reply to  @ krb's post |  #3

Hmmm, locally I saw them only up to 8GB. Just checked online and saw larger capacities. Cost way more though. I also see different speeds. Seems like on SD, the one's I use are all pretty fast. I searched before posting this, and found another thread. Mostly just people like SD or they like CF. Seems alot o people complained about losing the SD cards due to size or bending them. Never been an issue for me, guess I'm just careful with my stuff. I was just curious didn't know if it was due to a hardware reason or what.

FLICKR (external link)

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 14, 2010 15:18 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

CF cards can go up to 90mb/s, SD cards are just slower.

Gear List

Namerifrats
THREAD ­ STARTER
543 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 14, 2010 15:19 |  #5

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #10536331 (external link)
CF cards can go up to 90mb/s, SD cards are just slower.

I was just looking at that. Guess thats good for shooting 20+ frames on multi-shot. $100 for a 4GB card that fast though....

FLICKR (external link)

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,194 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 14, 2010 15:19 as a reply to  @ krb's post |  #6

Big and bulky CF cards

Wow! I have never considered CF cards to be big an bulky. I just marvel at the capacity and life expectancy of these units!

Of course, I am a guy who started in professional photography using 4x5" cut film with film holders and a Speed Graphic camera. At the weight and bulk of a single film holder with two sheets (TWO EXPOSURES) of film, I could carry about twenty or more CF cards with multi-thousands of exposures available...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,836 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 14, 2010 15:22 as a reply to  @ Namerifrats's post |  #7

If you go look at the Sandisk home page, the fastest SD I saw was 30MB transfer speed. For CF cards you can 60MB (Extreme series) and 90MB (Extreme Pro).

Namerifrats
THREAD ­ STARTER
543 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 14, 2010 15:26 as a reply to  @ MCAsan's post |  #8

Nice! That makes alot more sense, for speed. I don't take many shots on auto, mainly birds. Wanting to shoot some airshows and maybe a couple of drag races. I guess something in the 60mb range might be fast enough for a quick series of 10 or so RAW shots. That sound about right? Just trying to "gauge" the write speed on these.

FLICKR (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,298 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 14, 2010 15:27 |  #9

I accidentally carried an unprotected CF card in my pocket for a few days. It was mixed with some change, and other unfriendly pocket chaff, The card looked like hell, but functioned perfectly. The delicate build of an SD card doesnt inspire the same confidence.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,540 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 14, 2010 15:29 |  #10

gonzogolf wrote in post #10536397 (external link)
The delicate build of an SD card doesnt inspire the same confidence.

Agree.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Jon, ­ The ­ Elder
teaching fish to ride a bicycle
2,490 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 14, 2010 15:36 as a reply to  @ bobbyz's post |  #11

Yup, me too. I have CF cards that I used with my old Kodak 35 (1999) and they still function prefectly.

A 40D, a 30D, some nice glass and a great Shooting Partner.
"...As in music, so in life."

broadcast_techie
180 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 14, 2010 15:49 |  #12

I miss using CF from a form factor point of view (Insurance claim moved me from a 400d to 450d).
The only advantage of SD over CF for me is that I can leave the card reader in my mac's express port and I also notice that many laptops have SD readers built in, but rarely CF.
I hope that CF doesn't give way to SD as I suspect it will, but we will have to go as the wind blows.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,094 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 14, 2010 15:57 |  #13

As they continue to put faster processors and higher frame rates, and more megapixels per photos, and better video into cameras, the gap between camera's technology needs and what the SD memory interface is capable of providing will simply continue to leave the SD behind in its deficiency. The memory card folks designed SD to be cheaper to make so their profits increase, but the offsetting 'cost' of max performance limitations is impeding its success.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 14, 2010 16:03 |  #14

AFAIK there are some high-end cameras that will use both?

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

Luke ­ Cern
926 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 14, 2010 16:12 |  #15

Simon_Gardner wrote in post #10536601 (external link)
AFAIK there are some high-end cameras that will use both?

Yes: The 1DMKII, MKIII, MKIV all accept both cards. In fact many 5D uers lament the fact that this body doesn't take SD cards.

Personally, I prefer CF cards. They are less prone to flex and split. However, CF card based bodies have pins that can bend and thats going to lead to big repair costs.

Swiings and roundabouts! I think it makes sense for a body to take both. Then you are more likely to be able to use one type if a fault develops on your other card or slot during a shoot.

sponsored links

18,652 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why do higher end cameras use CF cards?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.