Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 09 Jan 2010 (Saturday) 03:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Snowboarding sequence shot

dmo580
760 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 13, 2010 19:05 |  #46

Man, I gotta figure out how to do this. With my 7D I'd fill up the buffer too quickly at 8fps... lol. I need a more balanced 5fps as the 3fps on low drive speed is on the slow side.....

Now if only my friend can get off his lazy ass and stop being so clingy to his gf so we can get out there and shoot.....

Canon 7D & Rebel T1i: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Canon 55-250mm IS, Canon 28 f/1.8, Speedlite 580EX II, Speedlite 430EX II

sponsored links
jbergdoll
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 13, 2010 21:09 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

dmo580 wrote in post #10530740 (external link)
Man, I gotta figure out how to do this. With my 7D I'd fill up the buffer too quickly at 8fps... lol. I need a more balanced 5fps as the 3fps on low drive speed is on the slow side.....

Now if only my friend can get off his lazy ass and stop being so clingy to his gf so we can get out there and shoot.....

Shoot small JPEG for sequences

-Joseph
bergdollphoto.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
gear list

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,368 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 14, 2010 03:06 |  #48

jbergdoll wrote in post #10531346 (external link)
Shoot small JPEG for sequences

What? lol... god no! My camera never shoots anything but RAW. You may be able to get more consecutive shots as JPEG but 2 seconds shooting in RAW is more than enough time for most sequences.

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

jbergdoll
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 14, 2010 15:13 as a reply to  @ Aressem's post |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

I only shoot raw as well (for stills), but I don't ever use sequences for anything more than a gif animation. It makes more sense to choose the less flexible filetype rather than hit the buffer and miss the end of the action.

-Joseph
bergdollphoto.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
gear list

@nt!x
196 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 14, 2010 20:07 |  #50

make sure to get it all in the sequence. Keep the frames going on the landings. There are some great shots in there.

http://flickr.com/phot​os/hamsgod/ (external link)
http://roadrunnerlocks​miths.com/ (external link)
http://creativecustomj​ewelry.com/ (external link)

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,368 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 15, 2010 14:45 |  #51

So I've been working on some more images and I just thought I'd share.

1)

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4120/4797272060_ecb0382c9f_b.jpg

2)
IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/4797268352_483bf36c96_b.jpg

3)
IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4797387556_d354a3ce46_b.jpg

4)
IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4796727345_658241b28c_b.jpg

5)
IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4135/4797457568_303c4b7558_b.jpg

6)
IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4797745082_1bfbf219e9_b.jpg

Enjoy...! Comments much appreciated :)

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

fishrising
106 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 15, 2010 20:11 |  #52

Aressem (and others), what lens do you find yourself using most often in you sequence shots? Are you gravitating to one over the other, or does is truly depend on your distance from the rider and how wide you want to go? And do you find 2.8 is required in the snow for stopping action or will f/4 work too?

Thanks! Ben aka fishrising

Thanks! Ben
Canon 5DIII, 1DIII, 1DIIn, 16-35L/2.8, 24-70L/2.8, 70-200L/2.8, 50/1.8II, 50/2.5macro, Sigma 120-300/2.8
Canon EOS-M, 22/2, 18-55/3.5-5.6IS, EF-EOS M Adapter w/ EF-S 18-135 IS STM

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,368 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 15, 2010 20:40 |  #53

fishrising wrote in post #10544726 (external link)
Aressem (and others), what lens do you find yourself using most often in you sequence shots? Are you gravitating to one over the other, or does is truly depend on your distance from the rider and how wide you want to go? And do you find 2.8 is required in the snow for stopping action or will f/4 work too?

Thanks! Ben aka fishrising

I was using my 28-135mm (f/3.5-5.6) IS USM for roughly the first half of the season simply because that's all I had at the time and it worked just fine. To be completely honest though, I very rarely shoot at 2.8 unless I'm panning with my subject and have the 70-200 2.8 IS USM for example. For sequences though, there's generally a pretty big gap between the jump and landing so I never shoot wide open. F/8.0 is usually a pretty safe DOF considering how far away you'll need to be away from the jump to get the whole sequence in the frame. Don't be afraid to bump the ISO up - that's what it's there for! :)

As for which lens to use, you're gonna get what you pay for and it's as simple as that. Just about anything will work to be honest though. Just be sure to know your gear and what it's limitations are. As for needing a "fast" lens, nah.. totally not necessary granted the weather is decent. Would it help? Of course, in some situations :P. Regardless though, you'll find that shooting with a little more DOF will quite often act like insurance until you get a really good feel for it. My first few trips were a total learning process and complete waste of pixels... lol. Don't give up though! :)

fishrising
106 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 16, 2010 06:59 |  #54

Aressem wrote in post #10544845 (external link)
I was using my 28-135mm (f/3.5-5.6) IS USM for roughly the first half of the season simply because that's all I had at the time and it worked just fine. To be completely honest though, I very rarely shoot at 2.8 unless I'm panning with my subject and have the 70-200 2.8 IS USM for example. For sequences though, there's generally a pretty big gap between the jump and landing so I never shoot wide open. F/8.0 is usually a pretty safe DOF considering how far away you'll need to be away from the jump to get the whole sequence in the frame. Don't be afraid to bump the ISO up - that's what it's there for! :)

As for which lens to use, you're gonna get what you pay for and it's as simple as that. Just about anything will work to be honest though. Just be sure to know your gear and what it's limitations are. As for needing a "fast" lens, nah.. totally not necessary granted the weather is decent. Would it help? Of course, in some situations :P. Regardless though, you'll find that shooting with a little more DOF will quite often act like insurance until you get a really good feel for it. My first few trips were a total learning process and complete waste of pixels... lol. Don't give up though! :)

Thanks Aressem and great shots by the way!

As an avid snowboarder (and ex-skier) this is what I want to get better at, action shots on the mountain. I am a total hobbyist photog and covered a snowboarding event last season called the East Coast Expression Session, that I also participated in. I had a blast shooting it, but I didn't get that many keepers. Now I want to step my game up. So I am starting to do my homework...thanks! Ben

Thanks! Ben
Canon 5DIII, 1DIII, 1DIIn, 16-35L/2.8, 24-70L/2.8, 70-200L/2.8, 50/1.8II, 50/2.5macro, Sigma 120-300/2.8
Canon EOS-M, 22/2, 18-55/3.5-5.6IS, EF-EOS M Adapter w/ EF-S 18-135 IS STM

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,368 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 16, 2010 15:47 |  #55

fishrising wrote in post #10546997 (external link)
Thanks Aressem and great shots by the way!

As an avid snowboarder (and ex-skier) this is what I want to get better at, action shots on the mountain. I am a total hobbyist photog and covered a snowboarding event last season called the East Coast Expression Session, that I also participated in. I had a blast shooting it, but I didn't get that many keepers. Now I want to step my game up. So I am starting to do my homework...thanks! Ben

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you Ben :). I never learned to ski but I've been riding for 12 years. Last season was my first attempt at winter sports photography. Some say that it's actually brings some of the most challenging circumstances because of the demand for fast shutter speeds and struggle to keep things well exposed as your environment is constantly changing. If I can recommend one thing though, make sure you get a grey card and always shoot in raw.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask :)

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,368 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 17, 2010 04:26 |  #56

one more :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,368 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 19, 2010 02:04 |  #57

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,368 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 19, 2010 22:14 |  #58

*bump*

tumblingdice
51 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 20, 2010 00:02 as a reply to  @ Aressem's post |  #59

looooove these shots! i've always wanted to take my gear up to the snow but have always been too scared that it would wreck it? do you use anything to protect your lenses/camera body in that crazy weather?

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,368 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 20, 2010 17:22 |  #60

tumblingdice wrote in post #10568515 (external link)
looooove these shots! i've always wanted to take my gear up to the snow but have always been too scared that it would wreck it? do you use anything to protect your lenses/camera body in that crazy weather?

I'm glad you enjoy the photos tumblingdice! :) As for protection, special precautions do need to be made! For starters, I Have a really nice camera backpack with lots of padding. It's made by LowePro and it's called CompuTrekker AW. Image below:

IMAGE: http://www.cambags.com/canon/300d_10_20d/backpacks/images/lowepro_computrekker/lowero_computrekker_aw_canon_30d_andy.jpg

Furthermore, you have to take special precautions with your gear in extreme cold temps. Going from indoors (warm) to the slopes where it can get extremely cold is not a problem. It's going from the cold back to warm when you need to be careful. Risks involved? Condensation. It's pretty common sense that moisture and electronics don't mix :P. To counter this, I carry freezer sized Zip Lock bags with me. They're big enough that I can slip my lenses and body inside and seal them up. This allows the gear to slowly warm up and not damage the equipment. Another trick is to get those little bags that you see inside packaging sometimes that say "DO NOT EAT". lol... I can't think of what they're called but if you toss one of those in each of your Zip Lock bags it helps!

sponsored links

22,885 views & 0 likes for this thread
Snowboarding sequence shot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.