Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 14 Jul 2010 (Wednesday) 01:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Target + Facebook = making it easy to print copyrighted images

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 14, 2010 21:52 |  #16

Cliff Nordman wrote in post #10532930 (external link)
What size prints are people making from 720-pixel images on Facebook?

Agreed, and a rather compressed 720 pixel image. The best you'll get is a 120 ppi 4x6 print or a 103 ppi 5x7 print. And that's even if the image is 720 pixels wide, which a lot are not.

sponsored links
Keltab
912 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 15, 2010 14:24 |  #17

Actually, it can be much more open-ended than what you might think...

This was sent to me in an email from "The Right Way to Travel" site

Here’s the statement straight from Facebook’s website:

“You grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable,
royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on
or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends
when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content
has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.”

Translation: If you post your photos on Facebook, you give Facebook
the rights to those photos. *They can use them however they want,
whenever they want, anywhere in the world they want… even if you
delete your account. *They can even sell them without your knowledge
and there’s nothing you can do about it. *Photos posted on Facebook
are now Facebook property. *Period.

The Only Difference Between Ordinary and Extraordinary Is That Little Extra :D

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,779 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Jul 15, 2010 14:52 as a reply to  @ Keltab's post |  #18

*Photos posted on Facebook

It's a usage license, not ownership, and that introduces a couple of limitations. You still own the copyright, which means Facebook cannot create a derivative work from your image without your permission. "Derivative work" would include removing your watermark.

They can't ever claim the work is theirs. Their sub-license can't be any more expansive than their original license--meaning the sub-licensee must also get your permission to create derivative work.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 15, 2010 15:51 |  #19

Yes, you're just giving facebook the right to have them displayed on pages of their website, logical.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 15, 2010 16:00 |  #20

Pretty sure both Zenfolio and PBase have similar language in their TOS agreements...

It's to keep you from suing them for you putting your images on their service.
(And now I need to go lay down...)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Keltab
912 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 15, 2010 16:08 |  #21

I prefer to think you guys are right - that email messed with me a bit!
Sorry to stoke any frustration unnecessarily. Thanks for the interpretations :)

The Only Difference Between Ordinary and Extraordinary Is That Little Extra :D

Borna ­ C
142 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 15, 2010 19:25 |  #22

Keltab wrote in post #10542758 (external link)
Actually, it can be much more open-ended than what you might think...

This was sent to me in an email from "The Right Way to Travel" site

Here’s the statement straight from Facebook’s website:

“You grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable,
royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on
or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends
when you delete your IP content or your account
unless your content
has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.”

Translation: If you post your photos on Facebook, you give Facebook
the rights to those photos. *They can use them however they want,
whenever they want, anywhere in the world they want… even if you
delete your account. *They can even sell them without your knowledge
and there’s nothing you can do about it. *Photos posted on Facebook

a very selective translation. let me make it easier for you by accentuating the key part...

Canon 40D + grip, Canon 400D + grip, 430EX flash, YN-460 x 3, RF-602 triggers
Canon 50mm 1.4, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, Sigma 55-200 f/4.0-5.6
web-site (external link) facebook (external link)http://fotoidijot.blog​er.hr (external link)

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 15, 2010 21:17 |  #23

Wal-Mart Photo lab has implemented Facebook connect and you can print straight from your friends profiles. (Doesn't look like it accesses pages, but whose to stop someone from saving your images and creating a private album on their profile so they can print it?)

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

RDKirk
13,779 posts
Joined May 2004

Jul 16, 2010 05:48 |  #24

jacuff wrote in post #10545034 (external link)
Wal-Mart Photo lab has implemented Facebook connect and you can print straight from your friends profiles. (Doesn't look like it accesses pages, but whose to stop someone from saving your images and creating a private album on their profile so they can print it?)

I use photographic business cards. I have them out in several businesses for the taking where I have my work on display. There's really nothing preventing a client whose picture is on one of my cards from running to these various businesses, scarfing up my cards, and passing those out to their friends instead of buying more wallet photos.

And that prospect doesn't bother me.

charger912
844 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 16, 2010 08:52 |  #25

RDKirk wrote in post #10546784 (external link)
I use photographic business cards. I have them out in several businesses for the taking where I have my work on display. There's really nothing preventing a client whose picture is on one of my cards from running to these various businesses, scarfing up my cards, and passing those out to their friends instead of buying more wallet photos.

That's good marketing. The friends are then guaranteed to see your name over and over.

Because of this digital age we live in, I'm starting to move from being overly cautious about theft to looking at it more as free marketing for me. By only posting low res pics that are watermarked, the chance of them being printed is lowered. However, if somebody does print one with my logo, others will see my business name on it which just helps to get my brand out there more. Maybe it's more of a win than people think?

I need a catchy sig? Ehhh, I've got nothing...

www.blue-photos.com (external link)

RDKirk
13,779 posts
Joined May 2004

Jul 16, 2010 09:01 |  #26

charger912 wrote in post #10547385 (external link)
That's good marketing. The friends are then guaranteed to see your name over and over.

Because of this digital age we live in, I'm starting to move from being overly cautious about theft to looking at it more as free marketing for me. By only posting low res pics that are watermarked, the chance of them being printed is lowered. However, if somebody does print one with my logo, others will see my business name on it which just helps to get my brand out there more. Maybe it's more of a win than people think?

Just very recently, I've been asking my high school seniors to "Like" my fan page. Then I post artfully watermarked images of them on my Facebook fan page and "tagging" them--which alerts them and all their friends to look at my fan page.

The seniors have been merely taking the image--with the watermark visible--as their new avatars. I suspect that if they ever click-print them through Target or Walmart, the watermark will still be there. Yes, the seniors could pull the image into an editor, remove the watermark, and then print it. But if they're not bothering to remove the watermark for their avatars, I suspect they won't go to that trouble just to make some quick prints...as long as my watermark isn't too obstructive to seeing the image.

I should not call it a "watermark" in the way I use it. It's really just branding the image--the same thing blue jean manufacturers do.

msfvirginia
THREAD ­ STARTER
441 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 16, 2010 11:51 |  #27

RDKirk wrote in post #10546784 (external link)

If a client makes a nice purchase, I sometimes toss in 48 rep cards *keep a couple for myself for displaying in the studio, if a model release was signed* and the back of the rep cards have my contact info. : )

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 18, 2010 20:38 |  #28

Well looks like the solution is to block the corresponding application. Visit the page and click on "Block Application"
Walmart: http://www.facebook.co​m …ation.php?id=18​1585006811 (external link)
Target: http://www.facebook.co​m …ation.php?id=35​1684036263 (external link)
Walgreens: http://www.facebook.co​m …cation.php?id=5​6440425769 (external link)
Snapfish: http://www.facebook.co​m …cation.php?id=9​3579753250 (external link)

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 18, 2010 21:25 |  #29

Done X 4 .. Thanks!

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

charger912
844 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 19, 2010 08:16 |  #30

Thanks jacuff! My only question is that even if you block the apps from your side, won't the clients you tag still be able to run the apps from their side? What's to stop them from using the apps? Or can they not print pictures that are only linked to them?

I need a catchy sig? Ehhh, I've got nothing...

www.blue-photos.com (external link)

sponsored links

7,627 views & 0 likes for this thread
Target + Facebook = making it easy to print copyrighted images
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.