Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 14 Jul 2010 (Wednesday) 06:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cycling - "Superweek" (part 1)

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 14, 2010 06:49 |  #1

Superweek is a series of bicycle races in the Chicago/Milwaukee area, now in it's 42nd year, and actually lasts 17 days. We're now on day 6 and I was lucky enough to land a contract to shoot for the organizers, so I'm there every day! Here's a few shots from the first few races. Not necessarily *best of* but hopefully interesting, I try to mix it up. In the Pro category, we currently have racers from Australia, Germany, South Africa, France, Colombia, and the national team from Trinidad and Tobago. GALLERY (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

sponsored links
joonrhee
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 14, 2010 12:13 |  #2

Wow, great shots!!

a7RII • RX1RII • CV12 • B18 • L21 • B25 • B85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

1downfall
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 14, 2010 21:10 as a reply to  @ joonrhee's post |  #3

agreed.....the logo really detracts imo.

Bill (external link)
Flickr (external link) My Gear
http://www.facebook.co​m …y/1428819857394​49?ref=sgm (external link)

Biffbradford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 14, 2010 21:53 |  #4

1downfall wrote in post #10538238 (external link)
agreed.....the logo really detracts imo.

Thank you.

It's supposed to! :D

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

pprice
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 15, 2010 06:09 |  #5

I don't understand why the logo takes away from these pics (they will be for sale).

Anyway, those are sweet photos! I LOVE the second shot! You pans are great also!

1D MKIII 16-35 2.8L MKII 24-70 2.8L 70-200 2.8L [COLOR=black]IS 300 2.8L IS (few others) Bunch of AB lighting
Southern by the grace of God

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 15, 2010 10:25 |  #6

Great eye for composition, good job panning as well.

Looks like you are earning your keep.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 15, 2010 16:34 |  #7

Great shots John!

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

tbridge
40 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 15, 2010 22:44 |  #8

love the last shot..really gives the sense of movement and a feeling of shooting out of the peloton...nice series..

ECPrevatte
127 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 15, 2010 22:56 |  #9

The panning shot is impressive. Never attempted panning, but I know the keeper rate is very very low. Awesome shot.

Gear List | Feedback

Biffbradford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 15, 2010 23:37 as a reply to  @ ECPrevatte's post |  #10

Thanks everybody. Some of those races had the riders going by me 50 to 70 times, so I had plenty of chance to experiment - creeping my shutter speed down to 1/40th of a second. If you can hit it at that speed, they turn out pretty well. ;)

AdamLewis
Goldmember
4,120 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 16, 2010 16:57 |  #11

#1 Could be pretty awesome without the guy on the right side of the frame.
#2 Best of what you posted. Well composed and it really helps give a sense of motion and energy
#3 Too soft
#4 Seriously? A crooked picture that looks like it was taken with a point and shoot?
#5 Really solid pan. Nice work
#6 Another really nice capture. Personal nit-pick but Id do something different with the crop rather than have them just cutting through the middle of the frame.

flickr (external link)

Biffbradford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 16, 2010 21:46 |  #12

AdamLewis wrote in post #10550043 (external link)
#1 Could be pretty awesome without the guy on the right side of the frame. Standard crop ratio of 4x6
#2 Best of what you posted. Well composed and it really helps give a sense of motion and energy Got lucky. Just shooting what came around the corner.
#3 Too soft Yeah, but he's going away from me and I caught the Metra train in the back ground! He's chasing the train! See the sparks? :D
#4 Seriously? A crooked picture that looks like it was taken with a point and shoot? That was taken at 8:30pm on a dark street as he's riding toward us at 28mph, plus you can't stand in the street in front of him, there's 60 guys right behind trying to beat him! I challenge anyone to get such a nice photo in those conditions. Really, those shots are REALLY HARD.
#5 Really solid pan. Nice work Thanks. Yeah, I don't have the EXIF handy on that, but I think it was at 1/20th. Very lucky shot.
#6 Another really nice capture. Personal nit-pick but Id do something different with the crop rather than have them just cutting through the middle of the frame.I dunno, where do you want them? Again standard 4x6 crop ratio.

Just a bit on the finish photos (#4). Again, this is at 8:30pm on a typical city street. You can't stand out in front of him because you'll get run over, better than 90% of the time you're behind the barriers with everybody else, plus you really don't know what's going to come around the final corner. One guy? Two guys? 10 guys gutter to gutter? Will the winner be on the right side or left side of the street? Will he have time to get his arms in the air as he crosses the line? or will it be 10 meters past it? If you're too far away from him, he'll be under exposed and noisy because you've got your ISO at 1,000 or higher. Too close and you risk blowing him out with your flash. Too slow of a shutter speed and he's blurry plus the camera has a hard time focusing on a dark object coming at you in the first place!

Really, I shoot hundreds of bike races a year, and these twilight finishes are REALLY HARD to get right. ;) I do have some methods to increase my keeper rate, but if I told you ... I have to kill you.

Biffbradford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 16, 2010 22:03 |  #13

I'm really surprised nobody mentioned my dirty sensor.

kootenayphotos
230 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 17, 2010 21:37 |  #14

These are great... I really like the panned images!

Brent
5DM3, 7D, 600mm f/4L IS, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF17-40mm f/4L, 2.0X III TC, 1.4X II TC, Induro CT314 & GHB2 head
Blog (external link)

Biffbradford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 17, 2010 23:07 |  #15

Day 9 out of 17. Hotter than blazes, so I pretty much parked my butt under a tree and pushed the envelope of shutter speed. 1/10, f22, ISO50. Any slower and I start over exposing pretty badly. I think that's the limit with my MkII N.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

sponsored links

4,640 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cycling - "Superweek" (part 1)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.