Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 14 Jul 2010 (Wednesday) 19:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I want to Freelance...

ECPrevatte
127 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 15, 2010 23:06 |  #16

Not sure about your college but I know at mine, the sport shooters can rent lenses out from the actual school. I've applied to my university school to be a sports shooter. I don't have the cash to sit on the sidelines with a 400 but the school has them. I would try the 70-200 F/2.8 non IS and try shooting some sports with that.

Gear List | Feedback

sponsored links
Staszek
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 15, 2010 23:55 |  #17

ECPrevatte wrote in post #10545703 (external link)
Not sure about your college but I know at mine, the sport shooters can rent lenses out from the actual school. I've applied to my university school to be a sports shooter. I don't have the cash to sit on the sidelines with a 400 but the school has them. I would try the 70-200 F/2.8 non IS and try shooting some sports with that.

I'll look into that. I'm actually getting a minor in photgraphy (to ease my lab work). I know we have 5DII's, I'm sure there's glass to go with.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

AdamLewis
Goldmember
4,120 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 16, 2010 16:48 |  #18

jacuff wrote in post #10542461 (external link)
Download a trial version of Photo Mechanic (external link).

Give yourself a deadline. For example, say a football game starts at 7:30 PM and you have to have your images into an editor by 10:00 PM. The editor has requested that you provide 8-10 images with captions and cutlines.

How fast can you do this in LR3?
How fast can you do this in PM?

Thats a pretty naive view of it all.

The only thing PM can do that LR cant is code replacement on hundreds or thousands of pictures. For starting out, I dont think its a big deal. Its even less of a deal when you need only 8-10 images with captions.

Id stick to LR3 for now. It really will do everything you need for now

flickr (external link)

Staszek
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 17, 2010 03:49 |  #19

AdamLewis wrote in post #10550001 (external link)

The only thing PM can do that LR cant is code replacement on hundreds or thousands of pictures. For starting out, I dont think its a big deal. Its even less of a deal when you need only 8-10 images with captions.

What do you mean "code replacement"?

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)

liam5100
944 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 18, 2010 00:41 |  #20

AdamLewis wrote in post #10550001 (external link)

With the new LR3, I dont even use PM anymore at all, all captioning etc is done in LR3, faster than back and forth. What little time code replacement saved was lost in kicking an image out to LR or PS and then back, IMHO.

I pre-caption as much as possible, have all my other IPTC info pre-saved in LR before the game starts, sort, process, finish caption, export.

Bill -
Equipment : Quaker Oatmeal box with a little tiny hole in it... and a 400 2.8

liam5100
944 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 18, 2010 00:44 |  #21

Staszek wrote in post #10552417 (external link)
What do you mean "code replacement"?

Code replacement is a feature of PM, basically a shorthand editor so to speak. You enter a small code CB25 or whatever and it fills in the blank "Michael Jordan".

Bill -
Equipment : Quaker Oatmeal box with a little tiny hole in it... and a 400 2.8

Staszek
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 18, 2010 02:33 |  #22

I see. Thanks Bill. MJ was #23 though haha.

AdamLewis
Goldmember
4,120 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 19, 2010 18:23 |  #23

liam5100 wrote in post #10556491 (external link)
With the new LR3, I dont even use PM anymore at all, all captioning etc is done in LR3, faster than back and forth. What little time code replacement saved was lost in kicking an image out to LR or PS and then back, IMHO.

I pre-caption as much as possible, have all my other IPTC info pre-saved in LR before the game starts, sort, process, finish caption, export.

Exactly. With fast computers than can preview raw files quickly and with functionality of Lightroom increasing, there doesnt seem to be much need for Photo Mechanic anymore.

flickr (external link)

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 19, 2010 20:57 |  #24

AdamLewis wrote in post #10566702 (external link)
Exactly. With fast computers than can preview raw files quickly and with functionality of Lightroom increasing, there doesnt seem to be much need for Photo Mechanic anymore.

I'm still on LR2 and I do the majority of my on-site transmission with a netbook. I'll eventually go to LR3 (I usually wait until the x.1 or x.2 release), but for now PM is really fast on a pretty underpowered system.

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

AdamLewis
Goldmember
4,120 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 20, 2010 15:40 |  #25

jacuff wrote in post #10567541 (external link)
I'm still on LR2 and I do the majority of my on-site transmission with a netbook. I'll eventually go to LR3 (I usually wait until the x.1 or x.2 release), but for now PM is really fast on a pretty underpowered system.

Ill totally concede that point. If you have an older or less powerful system, PM can be a boon for captioning and culling. However, if your wallet permits you to take full advantage of 2010, PM's prime has come and gone with the incessant march of technology.

flickr (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 21, 2010 02:28 |  #26

Actually, though LR has a lot of the stuff you need, and definitely fits the OP's needs, it is still missing some fields that we require as an agency, and so does Getty and the others...will say that with an * though because not sure if there's a new version that has them, all I know is we get images with missing fields because the photographers are using LR instead of PM and it's really annoying.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,390 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 21, 2010 07:49 |  #27

clarence wrote in post #10543815 (external link)
..... but found a 600/4L first - again, love it, but it's even a bigger beast.

Oh my:eek: Do you use it for sports? I can't imagine handling that beast on the sideliens :)

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 21, 2010 08:12 |  #28

Staszek, I live in South SJ and have been to SJ state lots of times. There are a few things you should do to help get started. One is join both NPPA and EP (check my sig). I shot the SJ Giants, SF Giants and many other teams for Baseball America eons ago. I shot over at the Sunken Diamond too.

The first thing you need to know is that newspapers are dumping entire photo departments, of experienced shooters onto the street. So sports PJ is a very limited field to get work in, and freelance is very very tough. To shoot sports properly you need your own gear and there really is no way around it. The 70-200 w/ the 1.4 a really a crappy combo for sports. You won't get very sharp shots and if it is not sharp the editor is going to reject them out of hand. Sportsshooter is a great resource, if you can get someone to sponser you. SJ State has several sports ( I am sure you know) you can cut your teeth on and for most part they will welcome new shooters because they are rarely covered.

So there are very hard to get paid gigs, very hard to get the gear without some serious debt, very hard to get an assistants gig to learn the ropes, very very hard to compete with experienced PJ's who have the gear and just lost their newspaper jobs. Just check the NPPA website to see how many photographers are already in this area.

I am an idiot too, I still want to be a photographer when I grow up!! lol

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.com (external link)

clarence
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 21, 2010 10:16 |  #29

Sibil wrote in post #10576180 (external link)
Do you use it for sports? I can't imagine handling that beast on the sideliens

Yes, on a monopod with a gimbal. Unfortunately, lacrosse season was over when I bought it, but I've shot 5 baseball games with it so far and love it...

600-1.

IMAGE: http://loco-photo.com/images/2010-06-28_8186.jpg

600-2.
IMAGE: http://loco-photo.com/images/2010-06-28_8200.jpg

600-3.
IMAGE: http://loco-photo.com/images/2010-06-29_9005.jpg

600-4.
IMAGE: http://loco-photo.com/images/2010-06-29_9073.jpg

600-5.
IMAGE: http://loco-photo.com/images/2010-06-29_9124.jpg

600-6.
IMAGE: http://loco-photo.com/images/2010-07-19_9022.jpg

600-7.
IMAGE: http://loco-photo.com/images/2010-07-19_9091.jpg

For Sale: 1D, T1i, 800mm, 600mm

5D3, 1D4, 7D, 600/4L, 200/1.8L, Sigmonster 300-800mm, 80-200/2.8L MDP, 28-70/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 12-24mm, (4) 550EXs, (4) WL strobes, PW MiniTT1/FlexTT5s/AC3/A​C9s
LoCo-Photo.com (external link)

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 21, 2010 10:26 |  #30

Sibil wrote in post #10576180 (external link)
Oh my:eek: Do you use it for sports? I can't imagine handling that beast on the sideliens :)

Yeah, it pretty much requires using a monopod, so it's not too bad. It's good for field sports. For example, in football you can setup in the end zone and shoot the action down field.

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

sponsored links

8,435 views & 0 likes for this thread
I want to Freelance...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.