Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Jul 2010 (Saturday) 04:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RAW - JPEG - What's your everyday preference?

dugcross
876 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 14, 2010 18:37 |  #46

robscomputer wrote in post #10537331 (external link)
I think much of the RAW processing is not understood. Unless you copy your images directly from the card and upload, that is the only way shooting jpg is faster. For everything else, processing RAW or jpg takes the same time and effort. Just apply auto correction and export, done.

And apparently you don't understand it. The difference between the processing of a RAW file over jpg it this. When you shoot jpg, you set your camera up with the white balance, picture style and so forth but the main thing is that when you take the photo, your camera then processes the file then burns it onto the memory card. Now when you shoot RAW, you do the same thing but when you take the photo, your camera does not process the file, it just burns the file onto your memory card. Now once you uploaded this onto your computer, you can only do so much with the jpg because your camera already did the processing. Now with the RAW file you do all the processing on your computer yourself which obviously will take longer than a jpg. This is also why RAW files are so much larger than jpgs. The RAW files is still retaining all the information you need to process the file, whereas on the jpgs your camera already processed them so the information does not need to be save with the file so it is deleted, hence the smaller file size. Also if you're just applying auto corrections to all of your files then there is no reason for you to be processing them because that is definitely not the right way to process your files. I honestly cannot believe you are happy with the result of your photos if you auto correct everything. You must have low standards on your results.

Doug Cross
Graphic Designer and Photographer
www.crossphotographics​.com (external link)

sponsored links
robscomputer
429 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 14, 2010 19:08 |  #47

dugcross wrote in post #10537470 (external link)
And apparently you don't understand it. The difference between the processing of a RAW file over jpg it this. When you shoot jpg, you set your camera up with the white balance, picture style and so forth but the main thing is that when you take the photo, your camera then processes the file then burns it onto the memory card. Now when you shoot RAW, you do the same thing but when you take the photo, your camera does not process the file, it just burns the file onto your memory card. Now once you uploaded this onto your computer, you can only do so much with the jpg because your camera already did the processing. Now with the RAW file you do all the processing on your computer yourself which obviously will take longer than a jpg. This is also why RAW files are so much larger than jpgs. The RAW files is still retaining all the information you need to process the file, whereas on the jpgs your camera already processed them so the information does not need to be save with the file so it is deleted, hence the smaller file size. Also if you're just applying auto corrections to all of your files then there is no reason for you to be processing them because that is definitely not the right way to process your files. I honestly cannot believe you are happy with the result of your photos if you auto correct everything. You must have low standards on your results.

I indeed have low standards on everything that I want to shoot as quickly as possible, but want to retain the full quality if I want to go back to the images at a later date. My point is the difference between shooting jpg or RAW for quick image makes no difference to me, as it takes the same about of time. You can't correct white balance in jpg's so I use the same method processing RAW's, just auto correct. Same with color, etc, I'm not going to spend hours processing photos that I consider snap shots.

I used to shoot only jpgs for a few years but found out how painful it was to have a great shot and not be able to pull the little bit more of details only available in RAW. I also make lots of mistakes, where RAW has saved me more than once, something that I got burned by jpgs. So I just take RAW when the camera allows it.

Amateur photographer

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,862 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jul 14, 2010 19:12 as a reply to  @ robscomputer's post |  #48

Raw.

Chris ­ Weller
44 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 14, 2010 21:45 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #49

I too am a RAW person. As someone said earlier, you never know when a great shot will appear and I want to capture it with as much detail as possible.

Personal Blog: http://chris-weller.blogspot.com/ (external link)

dugcross
876 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 15, 2010 00:17 |  #50

robscomputer wrote in post #10537635 (external link)
I indeed have low standards on everything that I want to shoot as quickly as possible, but want to retain the full quality if I want to go back to the images at a later date. My point is the difference between shooting jpg or RAW for quick image makes no difference to me, as it takes the same about of time. You can't correct white balance in jpg's so I use the same method processing RAW's, just auto correct. Same with color, etc, I'm not going to spend hours processing photos that I consider snap shots.

First of I want to say that I didn't mean that as bad as it came out on my part. Just to understand you right, you're ok with "snapshots" being processed with auto correct and nothing else? I think we think differently on snapshots. Myself I don't want any of my photos to look like snapshots. If I go though shots that I took and find one that just looks like a snapshot, I don't save it to begin with. But then again I might shoot 400 photos on a shoot but end up only being happy with 15 or 20 of them. All the others I might save, unless it's really bad, but I won't process them. The ones I save I will spend time processing them to make them pop. But on the same token it does not take me hours to process them. Either way that's ok, we just have different takes on our photo preferences.

I used to shoot only jpgs for a few years but found out how painful it was to have a great shot and not be able to pull the little bit more of details only available in RAW. I also make lots of mistakes, where RAW has saved me more than once, something that I got burned by jpgs. So I just take RAW when the camera allows it.

Now, reading this I find out you do understand the differences in the 2 file processing. So my apologies on the earlier post. What I put in bold on your quote is exactly why I think people who are just learning to use a digital camera should shoot RAW. This way when they make their mistakes learning they will at least be able to save the photo.

Doug Cross
Graphic Designer and Photographer
www.crossphotographics​.com (external link)

Kiwikat
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 15, 2010 00:24 |  #51

Always RAW except sometimes at airshows. The RAW burst on my XSi doesn't last as long as I'd like it to. In those cases, JPEG works better.

Now once I get that 7D/50D, I won't have any problems with RAW 100% of the time.

"Would you really want to be the Canon rep responsible for dealing with POTN?" -FlyingPhotog
Nikon D500

satuman
52 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 18, 2010 02:26 |  #52

Raw even with the P & S. Raw gives more satisfaction.

sponsored links

6,962 views & 0 likes for this thread
RAW - JPEG - What's your everyday preference?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.