Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 15:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 500DG Super Flash

switchblade5984
299 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 15, 2010 15:23 |  #1

anyone have or have had this Flash? like it hate it?

sponsored links
switchblade5984
THREAD ­ STARTER
299 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 16, 2010 12:32 |  #2

guessing this isnt a popular flash for canon's

tumblew33d
533 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 16, 2010 19:07 |  #3

I have one, it's served me well. It's not quite as robust as a canon 430 or 580 but it has an excellent feature set for the price.

Are you looking to use it on or off camera? The reason I ask is that I had to modify mine a bit when I discovered off-camera flash. If you want it for off-camera work there are other flashes you should consider first.

spesmeadeus
987 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 16, 2010 21:07 |  #4

if you want OCF then go up to the 530DG super!

How does focal length affect portraits? (external link)
| Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) |

jm_usmc
821 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 16, 2010 22:10 |  #5

I have one and it has worked well for me for several years. Both on my XT and now on the 7D. For OCF it has a built in optical slave that was very useful.

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=9974201&post​count=2298Gear List

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 16, 2010 22:13 |  #6

I have one also. Works when I need it to both on and off camera.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i226.photobucke​t.com …20Mods/Flashset​up-600.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

tumblew33d
533 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 17, 2010 05:04 |  #7

spesmeadeus wrote in post #10551136 (external link)
if you want OCF then go up to the 530DG super!

I honestly wouldn't bother. If you want it for OCF use, grab something like a lumopro lp120 or lp160 if you're in the US. Or a sunpak 383, vivitar 285hv or one of the many other cheaper options.

I had a bit of a headache using mine with my cybersyncs when I first got them. The short story is that the optical slave is a pain in the backside when using radio triggers and another flash alongside the sigma.

It is not as simple as switching to C1 or C2 as many people will tell you. You have to cover the optical slave too (I have mine gaffer taped with about 4 layers). Otherwise there is a delay in firing the flash. It does fire, but not on time as the flash from other strobe(s) interferes with it.

If you're only ever going to use it as your one and only off-camera flash, you'll be fine. If you ever want to use other flashes with it while triggering with a radio trigger system, I'd buy something else.

Here's my thread from last year:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=729328

Of course, if you just want it for ttl on-camera use, go for it. I'm sure you'll be happy with the features and money you'll save.

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 17, 2010 09:13 |  #8

Well, I have a 500 DG Super and have liked it very well so far. It is also my only OCF (slaved to my 580EXII) through the Canon wireless ETTL system. I bought it to have a backup ETTL flash in case my 580 had problems as well as to get my feet wet with OCF. I can't speak to the radio problems, but it is know that it might be a problem.

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,237 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 17, 2010 18:16 |  #9

The Sigma 500DG Super is exactly the same as my Sigma 530DG Super. (but slightly less power)

It is a very versatile flash for the money. It can be used on camera in various modes. Off camera it has a built-in optical slave for manual mode, and also ETTL with the Canon IR wireless system.

I currently use a 580EX II and Sigma 530DG Super both triggered wireless by my 7D. (I was going to say "wirelessly", is that a real word? ;))

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 17, 2010 21:54 |  #10

msowsun wrote in post #10555130 (external link)
I was going to say "wirelessly", is that a real word? ;)

I think that it is... (according to Merriam-Webster (external link))

My Gear List

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 18, 2010 02:09 |  #11

Its a great flash, but wont work with ettl-II bodies.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

Delija
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 18, 2010 02:40 |  #12

msowsun wrote in post #10555130 (external link)
Off camera it has a built-in optical slave for manual mode, and also ETTL with the Canon IR wireless system.

I wonder why I read so often about Canon's "IR" wireless system when no such thing exists???? (except maybe to some degree the worthless (IMO) ST-E2 which is "near infrared" (whatever that means) :confused:

Wow, what a nice picture! You must have a really great camera!

pellepiano
520 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 18, 2010 05:25 |  #13

I like it alot, as its adjustable to 1/128 power. I use it on location as well as hairlight in my home studio.

- Pelle Piano
// Websitei
www.pellepiano.com (external link)
// My Invented Gallery Site, for all my alias
Gallery Browalls (external link)

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,237 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 18, 2010 06:41 |  #14

Delija wrote in post #10556803 (external link)
I wonder why I read so often about Canon's "IR" wireless system when no such thing exists???? (except maybe to some degree the worthless (IMO) ST-E2 which is "near infrared" (whatever that means) :confused:

Yes, you are correct, even Canon doesn't use that term.

But many people like to use "IR" to describe the Canon wireless system so that there is no confusion with "radio" wireless systems.

The ST-E2 contains a small flash bulb, which it uses to send the control signals to other flash units, but the bulb is covered by a filter so that most of its light output is invisible infrared (IR) energy. Since the human eye can’t detect IR, the ST-E2 is more discreet in operation than the 550EX, 580EX or 580EX II when controlling slave units.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 18, 2010 07:11 |  #15

bimmeracer3 wrote in post #10556730 (external link)
Its a great flash, but wont work with ettl-II bodies.

There is no problem with the 500 DG Super and my XSi. Of course, a reverse engineered flash may have compatibility problems with future bodies, but there is no guarantee of compatibility or incompatibility.

My Gear List

sponsored links

2,042 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 500DG Super Flash
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.