Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 17 Jul 2010 (Saturday) 17:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

P and S guy looking to expand my knowledge and ability.

xfive
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 17, 2010 17:36 |  #1

I picked up a S90 a couple of weeks ago and have been playing around with it in my spare time. I'm working on macro shots at the moment and captured the following unprocessed images using natural light this evening.

Any input, feedback, suggestions or specific instructions regarding changes to make on my S90 will be accepted with open arms.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i307.photobucke​t.com …n319/onree08/73​33e812.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

The full sized image can be found here: http://i307.photobucke​t.com …n319/onree08/f8​574a42.jpg (external link)

http://i307.photobucke​t.com …n319/onree08/9a​809f86.jpg (external link)

The full sized image can be found here: http://i307.photobucke​t.com …n319/onree08/9b​e22110.jpg (external link)

http://i307.photobucke​t.com …n319/onree08/cc​eb7a2b.jpg (external link)

The full sized image can be found here: http://i307.photobucke​t.com …n319/onree08/e5​d80ee0.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
BigAlz1
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 17, 2010 23:02 |  #2

All are Grand! I would nail down some more PP and make them babies sing.

Eos 7D, 40D w/70-200L 2.8 IS, 50mm 1.4, Nifty Fifty II, 100MM 2.8 Macro, 18-135mm IS , Sigma 30mm 1.4 , Sigma 18-35 1.8 ART 580ex II

Walczak ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 18, 2010 11:04 |  #3

For off the camera, over-all I think these are pretty good but I agree with Al there...they really need some PP. I'd most definitely boost the saturation a bit, add some USM (or other sharpening method) and maybe play with the crops a bit.

As far as some more specific comments...

With the first shot, if you're going to use a "wide" format there, I'd really pay attention to "the rule of thirds". I'd put the flower in the left hand third of the image. You could also crop that one vertically or even square and I think it would work.

In the second shot, I would have moved that daisy there on the bottom where it wasn't in front of the flower you were actually photographing. I"d also trim that small chunk of table out of the lower right hand corner.

In that third image, the more I look at it the more I think I would have tried to isolate that one flower...the big purple pedals just above to the left of it are rather distracting and you have even more of the table top there than in the second shot.

You're on the right track...just need to "refine" things a tad.

Peace,
Jim

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment. " - Ansel Adams
Walczak Photography - www.walczakphoto.izfre​e.com (external link)
Gear List

jabone
49 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 18, 2010 11:19 |  #4

Nice pics

xfive
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 18, 2010 14:15 |  #5

Thanks for the comments and input.

I will do some PP and tinker a bit. Before doing so, I've got to look up USM. :D

RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 18, 2010 14:53 |  #6

xfive wrote in post #10554985 (external link)
I picked up a S90 a couple of weeks ago and have been playing around with it in my spare time. I'm working on macro shots at the moment and captured the following unprocessed images using natural light this evening.

Any input, feedback, suggestions or specific instructions regarding changes to make on my S90 will be accepted with open arms.

In additon to what's been said already (saturation and sharpness), I think the white balance (or colour temperature, if you will) was off as well -- all 3 shots look too "blue" to me.

If you took them under natural light on an overcast day (or indoors using window light), try the "Cloudy" or "Shade" setting instead of AWB next time.

:cool:

Above water: 7D | 400D | 10-22 | 17-55IS | 15-85IS | 85/1.8 | 100L IS | 70-200/4L IS | 70-300IS | 100-400L | 580EX II
Underwater: S95 + WP-DC38 + dual dive lights | Olympus OM-D E-M5 (await housing)
Full Gear List
Need/Want: More time for photography (And some talent would be nice.... :lol:)

BigAlz1
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 18, 2010 20:40 |  #7

xfive wrote in post #10558955 (external link)
Thanks for the comments and input.

I will do some PP and tinker a bit. Before doing so, I've got to look up USM. :D

Dealing with Canon Lenses USM = Ultra Sonic Motor
Dealing with Photoshop USM = Un-Sharp Mask (filter used to add controlled amount of sharpening)

Here was a quicky hope you don't mind.

http://i646.photobucke​t.com …BigAlz1/tObject​-1copy.jpg (external link)

Eos 7D, 40D w/70-200L 2.8 IS, 50mm 1.4, Nifty Fifty II, 100MM 2.8 Macro, 18-135mm IS , Sigma 30mm 1.4 , Sigma 18-35 1.8 ART 580ex II

xfive
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 19, 2010 07:19 |  #8

RetroBlader wrote in post #10559101 (external link)
(or indoors using window light), try the "Cloudy" or "Shade" setting instead of AWB next time.

That's exactly what I did. Good call! :) I'll try the cloudy setting and check out the difference. Thanks for the feedback!

BigAlz, I don't mind at all! Thanks for taking the time to spell that out for me and applying some TLC. :cool:

xfive
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 21, 2010 20:17 |  #9

The roses were purple. The more I look at the original, the more I see pink.

So here's my effort to correct the color. Please tell me if I'm doing this wrong. :D

http://i307.photobucke​t.com …n319/onree08/81​4a6b7e.jpg (external link)

Original: http://i307.photobucke​t.com …n319/onree08/8e​75e43a.jpg (external link)

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 22, 2010 00:09 as a reply to  @ xfive's post |  #10

Its hard with pinks and purples.the last one looks right to me as far as color...crop the the left, getting rid of the greens and keeping all the purple and pinks on one side.

I think you did a great job in capturing the carnation, the feverfew is small and doesn't bother me at all.This one I would crop tight for the carnation though, leaving a little bit of breathing room.

Last one, the rose petals;) are too OOF, the perspective just didn't hit this one.

Congratulations on your move up! What a beautiful bouquet.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

sponsored links

1,510 views & 0 likes for this thread
P and S guy looking to expand my knowledge and ability.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.