Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 17 Jul 2010 (Saturday) 05:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Grachten - Amsterdam and a (to me) surreal result:

DetlevCM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 18, 2010 08:43 |  #16

windpig wrote in post #10557523 (external link)
I think we may be dealing with how peoples monitors are calibrated (or not calibrated). Most uncalibrated monitors are overly bright, therefore my edit may look overly bright on an uncalibrated monitor. My prints and my monitor match, before I calibrated, my prints were coming out dark.

That might be the problem... I've not printed a lot... and the only thing I ever noticed for my laptop was a yellowish tinge... -> makes me think my monitor is too cold.

But it could be that.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

sponsored links
Walczak ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 18, 2010 11:33 |  #17

Alrighty...here's my take on it...

IMAGE: http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7748/img2429ax.jpg

This is really only about a 5 minute doodle really...I think this is a very nice image though and would be worth putting some work in to. First, obviously, I cropped the shot in a bit. That corner building is really the "anchor" for the shot in my opinion so I cropped it observing the rule of thirds. I also took some of the water off the bottom of the shot (sorry...I had to move your watermark a bit). I added a Saturation and Contrast layer and boosted both quite a bit. After that I separated the buildings and the foreground and added some extra blue and contrast to the sky (it could still use more though). I also ended up taking the saturation back down a bit on -just- the red roof (selectively of course).

If this were my own shot I would have put a bit more work in to it (especially the sky) but either way I think it's got some real promise. I hope you like...if not lemme know and I'll delete it.

Peace,
Jim

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment. " - Ansel Adams
Walczak Photography - www.walczakphoto.izfre​e.com (external link)
Gear List

DetlevCM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 19, 2010 03:14 |  #18

Walczak Photo wrote in post #10558227 (external link)
Alrighty...here's my take on it...

This is really only about a 5 minute doodle really...I think this is a very nice image though and would be worth putting some work in to. First, obviously, I cropped the shot in a bit. That corner building is really the "anchor" for the shot in my opinion so I cropped it observing the rule of thirds. I also took some of the water off the bottom of the shot (sorry...I had to move your watermark a bit). I added a Saturation and Contrast layer and boosted both quite a bit. After that I separated the buildings and the foreground and added some extra blue and contrast to the sky (it could still use more though). I also ended up taking the saturation back down a bit on -just- the red roof (selectively of course).

If this were my own shot I would have put a bit more work in to it (especially the sky) but either way I think it's got some real promise. I hope you like...if not lemme know and I'll delete it.

Peace,
Jim

Don't worry about moving my copyright notice :) heck I'd not have minded if you cropped part of it off - it does looks like a very nice edit to - what you did definitely better than I did is preserve the colour in the houses further away - mine seem grey.

I think part of the problem is that I am very conservative - I don't think outside of what I see when I'm "there" - so in my edits I try to recreate the same look - maybe make it a bit more dramatic by making it more contrasty etc. - but generally I'm not too creative - and that's possibly a part of my problem (besides the fact that I can't go much further than Adobe CameraRAW editing) - but you do have a good idea :)

Katalyst
812 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 19, 2010 06:18 |  #19

Holy crap, looks like I found the "rape my shot" topic! :lol:

DetlevCM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 19, 2010 06:27 |  #20

Katalyst wrote in post #10562778 (external link)

Why is that?

On that note... the Spyder I ordered should reach the camera shop on Thursday (after 2 weeks) - and then get's mailed to me... I think I'll wait until I have it before I reedit it.

Katalyst
812 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 19, 2010 09:35 |  #21

For me, your shots works best, the rest of them isn't what I would call an improvement!? But everyone his own, I get it!

DetlevCM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 19, 2010 09:41 |  #22

Katalyst wrote in post #10563569 (external link)
For me, your shots works best, the rest of them isn't what I would call an improvement!? But everyone his own, I get it!

Yusef
677 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 19, 2010 10:00 |  #23

The original looked fine.

Yusef
677 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 19, 2010 10:01 |  #24

Katalyst wrote in post #10562778 (external link)

I'm in total agreement.

DW_DIGI-QUEST
129 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 19, 2010 10:17 |  #25

Windpigs edit with DetlevCM's sky would be cool. If you got the RAW image, duplicate it and lower the exposure on one to bring out the detail in the sky. Then combine the two and do a little creative dodge and burn. May turn out pretty cool.

Canon 50D / Canon 40D / Canon 24-105 f4L / Canon 70 - 200 f2.8L / 2-Canon Speedlight 550EX / Sigma EF-530 DG Super Flash /

DetlevCM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 19, 2010 10:19 |  #26

DW_DIGI-QUEST wrote in post #10563791 (external link)
Windpigs edit with DetlevCM's sky would be cool. If you got the RAW image, duplicate it and lower the exposure on one to bring out the detail in the sky. Then combine the two and do a little creative dodge and burn. May turn out pretty cool.

I could upload the RAW - I never tried merging different photographs - except with the photomerge feaure... (for panoramas)

I could upload the RAW later on........... (right now sending more JPEGs to the skydrive for some friends to look at)

DW_DIGI-QUEST
129 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 19, 2010 10:25 |  #27

Just for fun, I'd give it a shot with the RAW.

Canon 50D / Canon 40D / Canon 24-105 f4L / Canon 70 - 200 f2.8L / 2-Canon Speedlight 550EX / Sigma EF-530 DG Super Flash /

DetlevCM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 19, 2010 10:54 |  #28

OK - for anybody who wants to give it a try - here's the RAW:
http://cid-1425f86bc4613037.photo​s.live.com …hots/IMG%5E_242​9%5E_3.CR2 (external link)

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 19, 2010 11:37 |  #29

Opened Raw file in Lightroom; created 5 virtual copies +2, +1, -1, -2, and camera exposure; then blended virtual copies.

IMAGE: http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6007/enfusetest.jpg

Gear List

windpig
Chopped liver
15,358 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 19, 2010 12:01 |  #30

Sweet Pix.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sponsored links

5,882 views & 0 likes for this thread
Grachten - Amsterdam and a (to me) surreal result:
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.