Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 18 Jul 2010 (Sunday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Next version of my Website, What do you think?

sebmour
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 18, 2010 14:10 |  #1

Future website (external link)

Thank you for your time and comments :P

Montreal and Destination wedding photographer (external link)
5DIII, 5DII X2, 15mm f2.8, 24L,35L, 50 1.4, 85LII, 135L, 200LIS, 2X430EXII, 4X580EXII

sponsored links
seattle1
290 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2010

Jul 18, 2010 14:23 |  #2

Very nice site and I love your work. I am not sure about the green color used as the select color and on the testimonials some of the text is covered by your name in the upper left corner of the screen with some pictures. I am using a iMac and Safari 5.0 if that matters.

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,353 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 18, 2010 15:19 |  #3

"This content requires the Macromedia Flash Player. Get Flash" ....and that's about all that search engines see too. You don't even have a <title> tag.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

broadcast_techie
180 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 18, 2010 15:36 |  #4

Nice, as ever with an all flash site slow to load (although not the slowest I've seen).
Frustrating that it takes the same time to load each pic/page, even the contact page!
Can you not pre-load pics?
On the plus side, this is a nice simple design which displays your work well.
+1 on Mike's comment

sebmour
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 18, 2010 20:00 |  #5

Thank you for the comment about SEO. I am just in drawing version of the website. I don't even have a real name for the website yet :P

The pics are not slow to load. They stay up too long. I can't change that for now. They stay like 10-12 seconds. I wish it would be about 4-5.

Montreal and Destination wedding photographer (external link)
5DIII, 5DII X2, 15mm f2.8, 24L,35L, 50 1.4, 85LII, 135L, 200LIS, 2X430EXII, 4X580EXII

sue.t
Goldmember
1,170 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 19, 2010 11:15 |  #6

I was frustrated by the slowness.
Your background made me think my monitor was marked up and needed cleaning. Didn't like that -- it was distracting.
Your image on the page about you ... it's reversed. I sat wondering why a pro photographer would post a backwards image and speculated that he might do that to my images too ...

I dunno ... I wasn't drawn in and if I was a potential customer, I'm not sure this site would entice me to make the call.

-

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 19, 2010 16:01 |  #7

Not too crazy about the website, but I love your photos. Good work. :)

ccc_javier
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 20, 2010 15:32 |  #8

tooooo heavy

http://somephotosmiami​.com (external link)
NSFW

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 20, 2010 19:11 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

extremely slow

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

Billo78
351 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 21, 2010 02:11 |  #10

+1 to the comment on the reversed image on the information page, that just looks weird. I also noticed your words on that page were remarkably similar to those on the website of a fellow POTN member, you know who I mean, I think you're walking a pretty fine line here in regards to plagiarism. Most of your clients will never know but it doesn't do your reputation among photographers much good, particularly if you're looking to run workshops as you mentioned a few months back.

Photography Blog (external link)
Adelaide Based Wedding Photographer (external link)

Gear: 5D2, 40D, 580 EX II, 430 EX II, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 18-200 OS

AdamGasson
101 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 21, 2010 02:30 |  #11

Personally I'm not a fan of full screen flash websites - but then I'm not a potential customer. I think it all looks nice, your work is well displayed (I've seen the same template used and the images covered by the links) and it loads fine on my broadband connection.

I'd agree with the others that it's not very searchable by Google, a downside of Flash.

One thing I did notice is that the project gallery is really random. I think you need to subsection it and have captions. At the moment it's a few car shots, a random guy shaving, a noisy building, a landscape picture, a studio shot bike... They're all randomly thrown in with no context. By all means add personal work, but you need to provide a setting for it. To me it seemed like you're a wedding photographer who'd rather be shooting cars - which contradicts your information!

I think this could apply to the 35mm film section as well, it's a bit random. The film is just a medium, it's not a project in itself. I can't imagine you'll get a wedding booking off the back of the fact that you use 35mm in personal work. If a couple want their wedding shot on film I'm sure they'll ask.

sponsored links

1,539 views & 0 likes for this thread
Next version of my Website, What do you think?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.