Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Jan 2006 (Thursday) 06:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1dmkii big learning curve?

ghocking
965 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 05, 2006 12:55 |  #16

If the shop as promised this morning when I rang them holds on to a copy along with the 24-105 L, I pick my MkIIN up tomorrow. What I have been doing for the last few weeks has to been to download the manual in pdf format and reading it. The only confusing part to me seems to be using the different cards. But there again I will be using the 5D for landscapes, the 20D with the 100-400 and 1D for rest, and I still forget certain settings on these. Hopefully practise makes perfect.

Geoff Hocking
G9|20D|40D|50D|5D|7D|1​DMkIIN
60 Macro|50 1.4|100 Macro|17-40 L|24-105 L|100-400 L|Sigma 18-200 OS
270EX|430EXII|580EX

sponsored links
Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 05, 2006 13:11 as a reply to  @ ghocking's post |  #17

ghocking wrote:
If the shop as promised this morning when I rang them holds on to a copy along with the 24-105 L, I pick my MkIIN up tomorrow. What I have been doing for the last few weeks has to been to download the manual in pdf format and reading it. The only confusing part to me seems to be using the different cards. But there again I will be using the 5D for landscapes, the 20D with the 100-400 and 1D for rest, and I still forget certain settings on these. Hopefully practise makes perfect.

I envy your selection of tools! :D

And, I think you'll enjoy the 1D IIn. The non-N is a great camera, and the N-version can only be better.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

roanjohn
Goldmember
3,805 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Jan 05, 2006 13:54 |  #18

I got a try a 1 series during a demo..........and it wasn't too bad........I figured the 2 button change deal cuz I've been reading the reviews of the 1 series camera many times from different reviewers (usually when I'm bored......or when I'm day dreaming) :-) The biggest downsize for me is the weight.........too heavy.

I am still holding out for a 1 series camera sans the grip.

EOS 3D.

Ro1

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
10,166 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 05, 2006 14:00 |  #19

its not such a big deal to learn and use, and when i use both they are set the same shutter priorty so no setting's to keep changing .
Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,765 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Jan 05, 2006 14:43 |  #20

It only took me one photo session to get used to the menu, and maybe a week to figure out how to change everything. The 20D interface is simple and more intuitive, but the 1D series interface isn't that complicated. As most people have mentioned, it's the two button selection requirement that's the main difference.

But, I don't have any problem going back and forth between the two cameras.

Mark

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,957 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Jan 05, 2006 15:00 |  #21

When I first tried 1D Mark II, after D30, D60 and 10D, it felt very odd, unintuitive and complex - for a few days. Now I really feel like home with it.

A couple of days ago I noted a 5D on a demo booth and I handled it a while. After using 1D Mark II for some time, 5D felt odd, unintuitive and slow to use. I suppose in few days it will feel good, too, but I won't have two different UI layouts in use at the same time so I'll pass choosing 5D as a second body.

All things are relative. Time heals.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Huckaback ­ Photo
683 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 05, 2006 15:25 |  #22

I totally agre with Sheldons post above, first impressions can be quite daunting at first, I imagine most people that buy that body may wel have used canon bodies before, that will certainly be useful, and speed up the learning curve.
I actually think the layout is great, but would only say that after several thousand shots.
there are so many ways to set up the 1D2 to suit your own needs, (simple things like having the ISO display in the viewfinder etc. ) saves looking on top display.

I thought Redbut made a good point about the need to use two hands to adjust some settings (buttons / dials) big advantage in my view. or setup moved by acident to easilly.
One thing to take care with . if the rear wheel is turned on, say using for adjusting exposure compensation settings + or - ...always check the wheel has not been knocked/moved. a bit late after if you find shots have been done at + 2 stops over !

Once you arrive at the stage of thinking this is all a piece of cake and you know that body inside out, try it all over again but this time set up and use it in the dark, sure we can illuminate the display, but just try it for fun, you may learn something.

just get out there and shoot and enjoy using one of the worlds top cameras.
Cheers
Martin (Huckaback Photo)

Old photographers never die. They just go out of focus

CorruptedPhotographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 05, 2006 15:45 |  #23

i have to confess, I was so excited about stepping into the realm of 1-series that I started this thread incognito of announcing my aquisition :D

Martin, man I read reviews or articles where they recognize this camera as the ultimate sports and wildlife camera. The ultimate professional camera. It is a compromise between FF and highly cropped (1.5x and 1.6x) as opposed to 1.3x.
feels great.

you know which lens is going on that camera first?

who can guess?

ill give you a hint, its from my current line up but discard the bigma.

Gear List
Member since 2005 ^_^

KennyG
Goldmember
2,252 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Jan 05, 2006 16:55 |  #24

Use it long enough and you don't even look to see where the buttons are. It becomes second nature quite quickly.

At least it does not have a useless pop-up flash like the N***n that's too low for larger lenses and seems designed for redeye.

Ken
Professional Motorsport Photographer
2 x 1D MK-II, 7D, 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L,
300 2.8L IS, 500 4.0L IS, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 1.4 & 2.0 MK-II TC.

Huckaback ­ Photo
683 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 05, 2006 17:36 |  #25

I don't think that would be a difficult choice for me, just fit the 135 L and lets see what you can do,
do not limit yourself to using low ISO settings for best results, my every day norm is 320 ISO, if using expanded ISO I have only once used 50. but with sort of work I do many times used at 3200.
By all means shoot with raw, my recomendation is get used to shooting & handling with just Jpeg say M1 to begin with (unless something special ).
If unsure about medium Jpeg M1 by all means take a look at some on my gallery,

Try this one but be sure to click original under the shot..
http://www.pbase.com …back_photo/imag​e/49514139 (external link)
My Gallery
http://www.pbase.com/h​uckaback_photo (external link)

It did take me quite a time to set up the camera exactly as i needed, I had a lot of softness issues (thats another story) .
I did mention it's one of the worlds top cameras I include film cameras as well in this statement.
I would agree with you about ultimate digital camera but disagree about it being a compromise of any kind, it's just superb. the build quality is top notch, and there is a feel good factor when handling and using it, I kid you not.
The best quality lenses bring out the best of that body.
Finally I always use CF4 focus at the rear button, so much better.

Cheers
Martin

Old photographers never die. They just go out of focus

grego
Cream of the Crop
8,819 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 05, 2006 18:02 |  #26

If you used the EOS 3 or 1V cameras, it has similar controls(of course it lacks the ones inside the menu system on the LCD), but it has some of the similar types of setup. :) Yeah, that old film thing. ;)

Go UCLA (external link)!! |Gear|http://gregburmann.com (external link)SportsShooter (external link)|Flickr (external link)|

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,914 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 05, 2006 18:06 |  #27

The sheer number of buttons can be overwhelming at first.. daunting.... it simply has buttons that the 20D does not ..

I am also a firm beliver that the interface is antiquated and overly complex regarding the number of button presses and hands and fingers most things require,

There fore I prefer the 10D/20D interface...

But once your used to it ,. I agree switching back and forth is not a big deal.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,957 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited over 6 years ago by Pekka.

Jan 05, 2006 18:25 |  #28

The next 1D will be even more complex!

IMAGE: https://photography-on-the.net/stuff/more_buttons.jpg

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,914 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Jan 05, 2006 18:36 |  #29

:eek::-P

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CorruptedPhotographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 05, 2006 20:09 |  #30

Martin, wooooow that image is so sharp! * must resist - must resist *

more gear = diverse photog oppurtunities

Pekka, hahahah I love the L button.

Gear List
Member since 2005 ^_^

sponsored links

13,644 views & 16 likes for this thread
1dmkii big learning curve?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.