Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 18 Jul 2010 (Sunday) 22:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Used equipment: Adorama vs KEH?

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 18, 2010 22:43 |  #1

How is Adorama vs KEH for used equipment regarding quality, ratings, etc.? I know KEH has... or at least had... a stellar reoutation for being very conservative in their ratings. Does Adorama compare?

FWIW: I have bought used from KEH, and was very satisfied, but it was several years ago. I have never bought used from Adorama.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

sponsored links
K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,248 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 18, 2010 23:10 |  #2

I've had good luck with used equipment from Adorama. My experiences with KEH have been disappointing and that is being nice.

Flickr (external link)

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 18, 2010 23:54 |  #3

Adorama.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

doublehmom
983 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 19, 2010 09:12 |  #4

That's very good to know. K6AZ can elborate just a little on your experience? Was equipment not as described, etc.?

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 19, 2010 10:10 |  #5

I think KEH consistently underrates their lenses. So you know you are going to get a lens in great shape. But last time I had to call them up for service, it took 4-5 reminder calls for them to actually follow through and none of my emails were ever returned.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

r.morales
Goldmember
2,296 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 19, 2010 11:04 |  #6

both OK by me , but KEH is very very slow .

Gear List

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,248 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 19, 2010 14:47 |  #7

doublehmom wrote in post #10563453 (external link)
That's very good to know. K6AZ can elborate just a little on your experience? Was equipment not as described, etc.?

I don't trust any used gear dealer who ships lenses without caps. Not only that, both times I bought from them the gear wasn't shipped until over a week after ordering. Unacceptable on both counts.

Flickr (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 19, 2010 14:49 |  #8

K6AZ wrote in post #10565459 (external link)
I don't trust any used gear dealer who ships lenses without caps. Not only that, both times I bought from them the gear wasn't shipped until over a week after ordering. Unacceptable on both counts.

I would be mad about the shipping, but KEH specifically lists when caps are included. I can't see getting mad about that one. I bought a lens without a cap from them, but it was shipped well protected.

Taylor

photoguy6405
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 19, 2010 14:55 |  #9

I'm leery of no caps, but as long as they clearly disclose it up front I accept it. The better dealers pack well anyway, and I know that.

Still though, it makes me wonder, "What the hell are you (the dealer) doing buying lenses without caps to begin with?". I'd rather they add caps and add a few bucks to the price. It's kind of like buying a used car without a windshield or rear window.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,248 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 19, 2010 14:59 |  #10

tkbslc wrote in post #10565478 (external link)
I would be mad about the shipping, but KEH specifically lists when caps are included. I can't see getting mad about that one. I bought a lens without a cap from them, but it was shipped well protected.

That's why I no longer deal with them. Most other reputable sellers include the caps unless otherwise noted.

Flickr (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 19, 2010 15:00 |  #11

photoguy6405 wrote in post #10565511 (external link)
I'm leery of no caps, but as long as they clearly disclose it up front I accept it. The better dealers pack well anyway, and I know that.

Still though, it makes me wonder, "What the hell are you (the dealer) doing buying lenses without caps to begin with?". I'd rather they add caps and add a few bucks to the price. It's kind of like buying a used car without a windshield or rear window.

They don't buy them without caps, they pull of the brand name caps and hoods so they can sell them separately for extra profit. I would bet often the 2 copies they list, one with caps+hood and the other with none are the same lens.

Taylor

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,248 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 19, 2010 15:01 |  #12

photoguy6405 wrote in post #10565511 (external link)

Exactly. Not only that, generic caps are dirt cheap in quantity. KEH isn't all that cheap with their pricing either so they should be able to flip a dollar or so for a set of caps.

Flickr (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,248 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 19, 2010 15:02 |  #13

tkbslc wrote in post #10565554 (external link)
They don't buy them without caps, they pull of the brand name caps and hoods so they can sell them separately for extra profit.

Another reason not to deal with them IMO.

Flickr (external link)

doublehmom
983 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 19, 2010 18:04 |  #14

I agree, if they send the camera or lenses without caps forget it.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,966 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 19, 2010 18:11 |  #15

KEH has had a much harder time adjusting to the modern internet world.. they weer THE source for used camera gear for years before.

They do under rate there optics, but they are old school Ronco Mail order slow :)
So I had to wait a week to get a lens that was in much better shape than I expected.
But that was in 2004.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

799 views & 0 likes for this thread
Used equipment: Adorama vs KEH?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.