Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Jul 2010 (Sunday) 20:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Toughest Ballhead in the Business..

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,872 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 22, 2010 12:54 |  #61

Bob_McBob wrote in post #10583994 (external link)
I don't see why everyone dismisses the Z1 out of hand because of weight, but still considers the BH-55. It weighs 225g less than the BH-55, and only 70g more than the Markins M20.

It seems that many brands which were very well regarded 10-20 years ago are largely ignored by current photographers.

Quantum Radio remotes
Minolta flash meters
Arca ballheads
Metz flash units
Quantum battery packs
Linhof ballheads

On another thread someone asked about good meters, and he mentioned being on a budget. Everyone mentioned Sekonic, I mentioned Minolta and the fact that an Autometer IVf was advertised on POTN at $140...he decided to get the Sekonic! I guess the budget be damned.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 22, 2010 13:31 |  #62

jacobsen1 wrote in post #10583236 (external link)
LOVE them. Not being able to loose parts is crucial for me. The ONLY issue is you MUST be very careful to spin them to rubber mode before shooting an interior. ;)

What's also nice about the retractable spikes is that they can be easily concealed simply by spinning each of the rubber feet...very handy if you carry your tripod onto an airplane. If they can't retract, you may have an issue taking the tripod as carry-on if the pointy spikes remain visible at all times.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Wilt
41,872 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 22, 2010 13:41 |  #63

argyle wrote in post #10584194 (external link)
What's also nice about the retractable spikes is that they can be easily concealed simply by spinning each of the rubber feet...very handy if you carry your tripod onto an airplane. If they can't retract, you may have an issue taking the tripod as carry-on if the pointy spikes remain visible at all times.

Gitzo has friction fit rubber feet for the long spikes. Less visible to the eye, than the retractable spike feet. (I wish I knew about retractable feet for Gitzo before I bought the Gitzo long spikes!...my Bogen/Manfrotto had the retractable spikes and I greatly prefer them. Anyone want to buy my long spikes for 65% of the new price?!)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mrCAMPO
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 22, 2010 16:58 |  #64

Bob_McBob wrote in post #10583994 (external link)
I don't see why everyone dismisses the Z1 out of hand because of weight, but still considers the BH-55. It weighs 225g less than the BH-55, and only 70g more than the Markins M20.

I had nothing against the Z1, I just didn't factor in this ballhead in my purchasing decision.
I was pretty much sold of everyones positive feedback on the RRS LEVER plate, so I decided to just buy the matching ballhead.

Canon EOS 7D
CRUMPLER 7MDH ACCESSORY GOODIES LIST

mrCAMPO
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 22, 2010 17:04 |  #65

argyle wrote in post #10584194 (external link)

I was close to buying that set too argyle, but the great thing about the spikes I bought. Noone would notice those rubber feet conceals a 1inch spike. The only downside is the friction is pretty tight on mine, so a bit of force is needed, but otherwise good because I would be pissed if they came loose on the field.

Jdizzle, congrats on the new "set of legs". What model did you end up getting again?

Canon EOS 7D

Wilt
41,872 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 22, 2010 17:14 |  #66

mrCAMPO wrote in post #10585293 (external link)
I was close to buying that set too argyle, but the great thing about the spikes I bought. Noone would notice those rubber feet conceals a 1inch spike. The only downside is the friction is pretty tight on mine, so a bit of force is needed, but otherwise good because I would be pissed if they came loose on the field.

Jdizzle, congrats on the new "set of legs". What model did you end up getting again?

They'd make you put the tripod on the X-ray machine and the spikes inside the rubber feet become very obvious to the guy looking at the X-ray monitor. Naw, the very tightly fitting rubber feet on the long spikes are a pain in the behind...hard to pull off, and something more to lose.

mrCAMPO
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 22, 2010 17:26 |  #67

Wilt wrote in post #10585341 (external link)
They'd make you put the tripod on the X-ray machine and the spikes inside the rubber feet become very obvious to the guy looking at the X-ray monitor. Naw, the very tightly fitting rubber feet on the long spikes are a pain in the behind...hard to pull off, and something more to lose.

Oh yes, the X-ray scan.. Fair call, I don't see a blunt 1inch spike pose a danger, but who am I to judge what is a "security risk" :rolleyes:;)

Did you guys loctite your spikes? I did... the red stuff too :confused:

Canon EOS 7D

Wilt
41,872 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 22, 2010 17:28 |  #68

mrCAMPO wrote in post #10585399 (external link)
Oh yes, the X-ray scan.. Fair call, I don't see a blunt 1inch spike pose a danger, but who am I to judge what is a "security risk" :rolleyes:;)

Pool cues must be in checked luggage, per TSA...when was the last time you saw a stabbing with a pool cue?! :confused:

keitaro
605 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 22, 2010 18:35 |  #69

mrCAMPO wrote in post #10585399 (external link)

Did you guys loctite your spikes? I did... the red stuff too :confused:

i don't own spikes, but I blue loctited the factory gitzo feet onto mine. A little extra security.

My flickr (external link)
My Gear

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 22, 2010 18:46 |  #70

mrCAMPO wrote in post #10585293 (external link)

Thanks! I picked up a 3531S! :)

IMAGE: http://DLImaging.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v11/p500381095-4.jpg
IMAGE: http://DLImaging.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v11/p439834764-4.jpg

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jul 22, 2010 18:50 |  #71

Wilt wrote in post #10585414 (external link)
Pool cues must be in checked luggage, per TSA...when was the last time you saw a stabbing with a pool cue?! :confused:

I believe the last time I that was in RoadHouse. :p

Wilt
41,872 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 22, 2010 19:15 |  #72

Todd Lambert wrote in post #10585824 (external link)

I got curious...it happened in April 2010 in GA, too! http://www.wsbtv.com/n​ews/23069535/detail.ht​ml (external link)

And in 2008 http://www.todaysthv.c​om/news/news.aspx?stor​yid=70732 (external link)

And in 2007 http://www.fox16.com …noj7bOnUSCPpagk​FIBCA.cspx (external link)

And back in 1976 http://tx.findacase.co​m …9761006_0041141​.TX.htm/qx (external link)

Maybe we need to quit scoffing about TSA rules about pool cues!

mrCAMPO
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 22, 2010 19:16 |  #73

Awesome mate! Nice pics. Its amazingly light, once you extend all the legs and carry it around hey. Hope you get plenty of use out of yours. I'm still pinching myself for now owning such an expensive pod, but who cares now, I'll be keeping this baby for a looong time.

I ended up buying the Gitzo bag too. (external link). Fits perfectly if you're interested in getting it.

Just gotta edit my video I made on this and I'll upload on YouTube.

Canon EOS 7D

mrCAMPO
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 22, 2010 19:17 |  #74

Todd Lambert wrote in post #10585824 (external link)

Haha good call, I love that movie.

Canon EOS 7D

antitera
119 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 22, 2010 19:25 |  #75

100% agree. In fact, I haven't seen it done any other way.

sponsored links

10,629 views & 0 likes for this thread
Toughest Ballhead in the Business..
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.