Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 22 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 18:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you expect sellers on POTN to use insurance when shipping your item?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,667 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 22, 2010 21:05 |  #16

SVTmaniac wrote in post #10586391 (external link)
But $500 sure beats zero if the packages is lost or damaged right?

It helps but doesn't solve the issue, especially on a $1500 camera. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
Herdinohio
422 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 22, 2010 21:47 |  #17

It is simple to me. If the buyer wants insurance, they have to pay for it. I only send stuff with signature required if the merchandise is more than 200.

Nikon D7000 18-105 VR, 35 1.8, SB 600
bw!

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,121 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 22, 2010 22:05 |  #18

I always ask if they are shipping it insured -- Never assume anything.

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 22, 2010 22:05 as a reply to  @ Herdinohio's post |  #19

With a $1100 lens, all the little details about shipping (Including insurance) should have been worked out and agreed upon before ever shipping the lens. Personally, I don't think one should have to even ask for it on such an expensive piece of gear, it should be automatically taken care of by the seller and factored in the selling price...but I always ask and make sure they are insuring it anyway before it ships.

Gear List & Feedback

70ss
96 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 22, 2010 22:08 |  #20

Herdinohio wrote in post #10586655 (external link)
It is simple to me. If the buyer wants insurance, they have to pay for it. I only send stuff with signature required if the merchandise is more than 200.

Insurance is not for buyers protection. Rather it is insurance that item or items get to destination and undamaged for the seller. Seller collects money from insurance in the case of damage or lost.

If someone pays for a item. They have every right to expect to receive the item and in same condition as the time sold to them. The insurance protects the seller in case this doesn't happen or item is damaged. Therefor seller should build insurance cost into asking price.

If they don't and item is lost or damaged buyer could do a chargeback with credit card (if payed that way). And receive there money back. So because seller doesn't have insurance they would be out the money and the product.

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 22, 2010 22:45 as a reply to  @ 70ss's post |  #21

I agree with the majority. Seller owns item until it gets to the buyer. Insurance is responsibility of seller, as seller would have to make the claim. It is good to talk about those details, but ultimately the seller is 100% responsible for the item arriving safe and sound.

When I see ads suggesting that buyer picks shipping method and pays extra for insurance I ignore them. Still might be a good deal, but I don't want to buy from someone who seems to take no responsibility for what he is selling.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 22, 2010 22:54 |  #22

I assume I am responsible for getting the item to the seller. Sometimes I elect not to insure a package, but I would also be willing to refund the purchase price if the item was lost or damaged. I figure the insurance is for ME not the buyer. If I want to self-insure, that is my prerogative.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

SVTmaniac
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 22, 2010 23:26 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #23

So I'm not out of line if I ask for a full refund if the lens doesn't get to me? I paid paypal using the gift option so I'm sure I can't use that route to get my money back.

-Chris
More gear than talent.

70ss
96 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 22, 2010 23:39 |  #24

SVTmaniac wrote in post #10587078 (external link)
So I'm not out of line if I ask for a full refund if the lens doesn't get to me? I paid paypal using the gift option so I'm sure I can't use that route to get my money back.

Not out of line at all. But using gift option puts you at the mercy of the seller.

35mmNewbie
Goldmember
2,127 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 22, 2010 23:42 |  #25

I dont expect anything. I always ask, as should everyone else. You want it, you pay for it.

Bryan
20D; 70-200 f4; YN-560; Genesis 200 Strobe w/ 43" Umbrella; 43" 5 in 1 Reflector;

Cebu
111 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 23, 2010 00:19 as a reply to  @ 35mmNewbie's post |  #26

Don't worry. It may still show up in one piece. Remember, USPS tracking number is very unreliable.

Optiq
417 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 23, 2010 01:57 as a reply to  @ Cebu's post |  #27

If the buyer never receives the item, and paid in a covered fashion (like PP or CC) then they will get their money back, every time.

I'm not sure if this is rule, law or just the way it's "done" but the shipper is essentially responsible for the item until it arrives in the hands of the buyer. The shipping method is an entity hired by the seller to deliver the item. Any insurance claim can only be filed by and paid to the shipper.

Of course with private people and private sales, anything goes but again, if you pay by a recoverable means, and don't get the item, you can get a refund.

Be extra careful when insurance is offered as an option and you decline it. The seller might win that one.

My small but growing -=Flickr page=- (external link)

vid1900
557 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 23, 2010 02:44 |  #28

If the item was out for delivery, it made it to the truck, so I would not worry too much.

UPS looses and then finds boxes all the time.

No bragging list - I just rent whatever the job requires.

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 23, 2010 03:51 |  #29

70ss wrote in post #10586742 (external link)
Insurance is not for buyers protection. Rather it is insurance that item or items get to destination and undamaged for the seller. Seller collects money from insurance in the case of damage or lost.

If someone pays for a item. They have every right to expect to receive the item and in same condition as the time sold to them. The insurance protects the seller in case this doesn't happen or item is damaged. Therefor seller should build insurance cost into asking price.

If they don't and item is lost or damaged buyer could do a chargeback with credit card (if payed that way). And receive there money back. So because seller doesn't have insurance they would be out the money and the product.

i agree completely.

as a seller, i buy insurance if there's any possibility of damage or if i couldn't cover the item if it was lost. i mostly ship my items through USPS priority or first class. if it's an item over $1000, i use fedex or occasionally UPS. for an item with that high a value, i want real time tracking. it gives the buyer some peace of mind as well.

OP, personally, i'd wait a bit to make sure it was lost before going through the hassle of a refund. especially since it was at one time said to be out for delivery. i'd let the seller know my concerns and let him know that if it doesn't arrive by a certain date, then you'll be expecting a full refund. it'd just be a headache if you got a refund and the lens came later. btw, with the gift option you can't actually get a real refund. he'd just have to resend you the money.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 23, 2010 06:40 |  #30

TeamSpeed wrote in post #10586497 (external link)
It helps but doesn't solve the issue, especially on a $1500 camera. :)

if you print the shipping label online then you can add insurance for >500.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

sponsored links

3,950 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you expect sellers on POTN to use insurance when shipping your item?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.