Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Jul 2010 (Friday) 16:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF 28mm 1.8 vs EX 28mm 1.8

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 23, 2010 16:56 |  #1

So im thinking this one or the Sigma, normally the sigmas have less corner sharpness and smoother bokeh, im pretty sure it has to do with the bigger front element, EF50 1.4 vs EX50 1.4 for one. Is this the case here as well. the ex 28 1.8 vs the EF 28 1.8, anyone who has had/have both please fill me in... As well anyone who has the EX - hows the AF? slow, dog slow or normal...

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

sponsored links
tudragan
318 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 23, 2010 17:16 |  #2

There is a thread asking the exact same thing here:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=583486

After doing some research on these two lenses, I have came to this understanding...
the sigma is bigger, heavier, slower focus, loud motor, but it has a closer min focus and pretty nice bokeh due to 8 blades?

the canon has ring HSM, FTM, 6 or 7 blades but the bokeh is really nice, and its a canon!

_Jonathan

Gear List
Jonathandinh.wordpress​.com <- check out my new blog

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 23, 2010 17:21 |  #3

yeah I know, but there is no answer and the thread is about 2 years old.... in the end they go on about the 30mm sigma, which i dont want as I intend to use it on FF. I dont want a 24mm and I dont want to pay for the 35L so that leaves the 28 1.8 - but which one :)

Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

Austin.Manny
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 23, 2010 17:24 |  #4

I'd go with the Sigma 30mm. But since you need FF, I'd get the EF 28 f/1.8. Find a good copy, because I've heard quite a few accounts that it has horrible CA and sharpness wide open. Stop it down a click or two and you should be fine though.

450D Gripped | Σ 30 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 18-55 IS
LumoPro LP180 | Yongnuo YN-460 |
RF-602

Flickr (external link)

Combatmedic870
Goldmember
1,739 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 23, 2010 17:38 |  #5

Im sure the Canon 28 1.8 would do you just fine! Fast and silent focusing and should be pretty darn sharp.

Nikon D700: 16-35 F4, 50 1.4G, 85 1.8,105 VR Micro, 135F2 DC, 80-200 2.8 AFS
Olympus XZ-1
,Ryan
Sometimes, I think Photography is worse than Crack.:oops:

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 23, 2010 17:39 |  #6

@ Austin... yeah that does not sound for a good lens, is the EX worse??

im about to pick up an EX version for 200 euro, i know its cheap but I hate to get a lemon... Guy says that there is no AF problem, but how is quality and is it just loud and slow...

dugpatrick
38 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 23, 2010 18:01 |  #7

I have the Sigma 28mm lens and I like it. Pros: sharp, MFD, bokeh, nice feel (weight). Cons: slow focus, noisy focus, two steps to switch between MF/AF.

Here are samples from a crop sensor camera (Rebel XT):
Center 100% crops: (compared with Canon 50mm f/1.8)
http://picasaweb.googl​e.com …GBFytNK6A?feat=​directlink (external link)
Edge 100% crops:
http://picasaweb.googl​e.com …ZgtY4DwUA?feat=​directlink (external link)

Sorry, I can't figure out how to insert the photos directly into POTN, but if you go to the links you can zoom to see the photos 100%, or you can download them.

See this folder for more samples of the Sigma 28mm lens: http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/dugpatrick/LensT​ests# (external link)

I hope this helps.

Doug

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 23, 2010 18:02 |  #8

what scares me is the slow focus - its going to be used only indoors low light event photography ( people snaps)

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 23, 2010 18:18 |  #9

thanks doug, good examples, im might just do the foot zoom when available and when not put the zoom on... :)

lowincash
183 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 23, 2010 18:24 |  #10

I use the Canon 28 1.8 indoors a lot and it comes out great. It's nicely built and love how fast and silent it is. So far I can't find anything to hate about it lol I just wish it came with a hood =/

RockMon -- 50D -- Canon 24-105mm f/4 IS L -- Canon 28mm f/1.8 -- Canon 85mm f/1.8 -- 270EX w/ OmniBouncer -- RS-80N3 Remote Switch

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 23, 2010 18:27 |  #11

hehehe!! i hear great things about teh canon and not so great about teh sigma...

tudragan
318 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 23, 2010 18:43 |  #12

if you are using it mainly for indoors, i would go with the canon. i am sure the canon will hunt less than the slow and noisy sigma

_Jonathan

Gear List
Jonathandinh.wordpress​.com <- check out my new blog

sponsored links

1,679 views & 0 likes for this thread
EF 28mm 1.8 vs EX 28mm 1.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.