Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 17:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

sensor cleaning conundrum

dennisatmph
511 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jul 22, 2010 17:50 |  #1

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone has some experience here. I am confused.
I got a speck of something in my sensor. I googled you tube and so many ways
some even by professional photog.

1. i got a rocket blower, some use this , - should i use this, my brother told me that may be i will blow more of the air containing dust into the camera , making it worse :-(
2. the other method by michael andrews is he has some kind of a stick thing , goes into the sensor - dust aid
3. other people use like a swab stick with alchol
4. send to the experts at the shop

I am so confused. I have never cleaned it before and nervous.
Please give me some insight. which is the correct method?

Thanks much

canon 5 d mark 2, canon 50 prime 1.2, canon 17-40 L , 580EXII , 430 EXII

sponsored links
JoeyBowman
847 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 22, 2010 17:52 |  #2

www.photographicsoluti​ons.com (external link)

I love their swabs/fluid and has worked the best for me for cleaning sensors.

Gear
My Website (external link),

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 22, 2010 18:04 |  #3

Changing lens will put dust there as well and using the blower with the camera mount facing down works very well and you can get a sensor pen which is the easiest way I found with stubborn dust and if the pen and blower do not work I'll wet clean it . And if you feel uncomfortable doing it than you can always send it in to have it done by Canon. Good luck

Gearflickr (external link)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955) . "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,356 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 22, 2010 18:13 |  #4

First, decide how bad the dust is. Is it only a spec or two that's only visible in the sky at small apertures? Then you might not want to bother cleaning it at all since it can easily be removed on the computer. If you've got lots of specs, then try the blower first. It'll get rid of some stuff but might add more. Once that fails, you can try a static-charged brush to lift small particles off.

When it comes to the really stuck on contamination, you'll want a wet cleaning method. Its truly not as scary as it sounds. I recently bought Visible Dust's wet cleaning products and they did a very good job. VDust Plus and some orange swabs are very effective. If you know you have lots of oily contamination, use the smear away and green swabs first, then follow up with the VDust Plus. Remember that keeping your sensor clean is a never ending job, even if you never change lenses. All you can do is keep it to a minimum.

I wouldn't bother having Canon or a shop clean it. My camera's last and only trip to Canon for a cleaning resulted in the removal of some dust and the application of some really stuck-on spots. They're not going to take the time and care to check it the way you will.

Also, get a sensor viewing loupe. It makes it much easier to see the spots so you'll spend less time doing the f/22 test.

mike85
30 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 22, 2010 18:25 as a reply to  @ mike_d's post |  #5

I think you'd better go to service

dennisatmph
THREAD ­ STARTER
511 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jul 22, 2010 18:35 |  #6

mike85 wrote in post #10585697 (external link)
I think you'd better go to service

how do you do this, where do you find this info ? how much will it costs ? i live in a small town in MO, so definitely no canon service center here.

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 22, 2010 20:47 as a reply to  @ dennisatmph's post |  #7

does the spot appear in your photo's (take a picture at an apeture of f22 of a blank surface) or only in the viewfinder.

if it appears in the viewfinder and not on the picture, it's sitting on your mirror, focusing screen or superimpose screen.

if it's in the picture it's on your sensor.

This is a good information site, it gives you all the different methods of cleaning and the process of identifying a dirt on the sensor

http://www.cleaningdig​italcameras.com/index.​html (external link)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 23, 2010 13:02 |  #8

When you look at an image on the LCD, do you see the spots, or is it in your viewfinder? I have not cleaned my sensor on my 5D2 once. But the viewfinder is a mess. I have to open up the cavity, as if I am cleaning it (set it to clean), and I blow up toward the viewfinder and blow the junk out and it works most of the time. If you can look at the sensor with the cavity open and set to clean and see dust, then yes, get the sensor swabs and Eclipse solution and do a couple of swipes for $80, and you'll have the swabs for another 11 times. But if there is nothing you can see on the sensor, it's probably the mirror or the dust in the viewfinder.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 23, 2010 14:04 |  #9

The wet method
http://www.copperhilli​mages.com …=Photosol&noses​sionkill=1 (external link)
http://www.dust-aid.com/ (external link)
http://www.amazon.com …ning-Orange/dp/B001E71NZE (external link)

dry cleaning
http://www.amazon.com …ics&qid=1279911​093&sr=8-1 (external link)
http://www.amazon.com …UIEIS/ref=pd_si​m_gs_p_1_6 (external link)

Air blast
http://www.amazon.com …017LSPI/ref=pd_​sim_gs_p_1 (external link)
These are just some of the products for cleaning your sensor and they come in different price ranges so don't be afraid to learn how to do it your self and also here is the Internet sight that got me started on how to do it myself.
http://www.cleaningdig​italcameras.com/ (external link)
and also a general search using Google.
http://www.google.com …official&client​=firefox-a (external link)
Take care and have fun

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955) . "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 23, 2010 21:58 |  #10

Purchased my kit from Copper Hill Images and have had good fortune with it.

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jul 23, 2010 22:59 |  #11

Another vote for Copperhill... I've been using their systems since my original digital rebel. I never leave my house for an important event without swabbing my sensors. It's only scary the first time. After you do it and realize you can't kill your camera by following directions, you'll be fine.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

dennisatmph
THREAD ­ STARTER
511 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jul 23, 2010 23:33 |  #12

Hi everyone
Thanks so much for your suggestions.
I only have one spect of something on the sensor. I always see this thing on the sky type picture.

Nobody seems to have mentioned the rocket blower thing.
Should I just go ahead and give it a few blows to see if this spect goes away ? My feeling is that the rest of the sensor is clean.

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 24, 2010 02:21 |  #13

It has only been mention at least twice:p:D

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jul 24, 2010 03:06 |  #14

Use the Copperhill method.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 24, 2010 04:12 |  #15

use the blower first, then look at using a sensor clear pen, dust-aid or static brush, and as a last resort wet clean.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

sponsored links

3,712 views & 0 likes for this thread
sensor cleaning conundrum
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.