Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 Jul 2010 (Monday) 23:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

satchel/messenger bag suggestions

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 19, 2010 23:54 |  #1

I'm starting to get sick of using backpacks to lug my gear around.

I'm really interested in getting a shoulder bag of sorts... something that won't make a potential thief say "hey, that's an obvious camera bag". Something like the Crumpler, $6million bag, Think Tank retrospective 30...

Any other suggestions please? Cost isn't an issue--I don't want something that looks too cheap/cheesy. Something that's firm and durable enough not to bend/fold when it's only partially loaded.

TIA

My Gearlist

sponsored links
booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 20, 2010 00:10 |  #2

if youre going to be lugging around the gear for a while on your shoulder and you have a lot, its probably better to keep the backpack.

i have a crumpler 7mdh and when i throw all my stuff in there (gripped 5d2, 4 L primes, 3 flashes) it gets your shoulder quite sore just walking short distances with it. i actually dreaded carrying all that in the crumpler so much that i always try to narrow down what to take and just use my small incase sling. then i always end up needing something i left behind. i just got a kata backpack and with all my stuff and my laptop (24 lbs total) its a lot more tolerable to carry around, and its heavier

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 20, 2010 00:32 as a reply to  @ booja's post |  #3

When I worked a newspaper we were at first issued with shoulder bags to tote our gear around.. Most of us carried a pile of gear on assignments..

Many of the guys complained about sore shoulders, some had physio on their shoulders.. Our HR department outlawed shoulder bags so we went over to backpacks.. No more problems..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

DCMP
114 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 20, 2010 01:45 as a reply to  @ yogestee's post |  #4

When you guys reference shoulder bags, do you mean sling-style as well? I use a (now waaaay to small) sling bag the crosses my chest, and really like the ability to swing the bag from my hip to front to work with. Ive been looking to really up my capacity though, and have been contemplating the backpack style for space. i hate how long it will then take to access gear.

I recently stumbled across the kata 3n1 series bag, and really like the concept. Backpack on a sling, that loads the cam on the side that is faceup when you swing it around in front of you. Seems to be a nice compromise between backpack and hip, and laptop capable as well. Haven't seriously researched it yet, but good price too.

iwasinvertedx
718 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 20, 2010 02:35 |  #5

any of the crumpler MDH's are fine bags.
i had one myself, but i ended up putting a tenba insert in my everyday messenger bag that i use for school.

Portfolio (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 20, 2010 02:37 |  #6

I highly reccomend checking out the Lowepro Classified 250 AW...

It can hold a helluva lot of gear if you want it to!

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 20, 2010 10:56 |  #7

Check out the Tenba photo satchels. My main bag is a Tamrac Expedition backpack. Great for weight distribution and carrying heavy loads, but sucks as a shooting bag. Picked up the Tenba as a shooting bag and so far I've been happy with it. I will admit that if I load it up it does get a little tiresome with all of the weight on one shoulder, but any shoulder bag will.

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 20, 2010 11:05 |  #8

You've got a lot of gear!
For shooter's bags--I prefer Domke. I plan to look at the Retro bags from ThinkTank when local vendors wize up and carry them.
I've had sling bags--don't like them. Wearing them and pulling gear out just doesn't feel good. And I end up rumpled like I slept in my clothes.
I've had messenger bags; the ones I chose were hard to work out of.
There are lots of photos on this site. Check the list at the top of the index, and you'll see bags filled with gear like yours.

Hope this helps!

edit: the list--
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=585253

Dave

bjmin
95 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 20, 2010 22:22 as a reply to  @ 2mnycars's post |  #9

+1 on crumplers. Have a collection going on the MDH's. Inconspicuous except for the sometimes bright colors.

Had tarmac velocity x9 that didn't seem to hold as much and uncomfortable having to slide the pack back to front

sportesan
80 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 23, 2010 22:23 |  #10

Tamrac Express 7

http://sportesan.smugm​ug.com (external link)
Rebel XSi, Tokina 11-16, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, Canon 50 1.8

MOkoFOko
THREAD ­ STARTER
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 23, 2010 23:56 |  #11

That's odd, I thought this thread was deleted. I noticed the bag sticky right after--oh well. I definitely appreciate all these responses. I've already gone through more than a few backpacks (almost all lowepro), and I definitely want to give a messenger type a try, even if it's slightly more painful.

DCMP wrote in post #10568927 (external link)
When you guys reference shoulder bags, do you mean sling-style as well? I use a (now waaaay to small) sling bag the crosses my chest, and really like the ability to swing the bag from my hip to front to work with. Ive been looking to really up my capacity though, and have been contemplating the backpack style for space. i hate how long it will then take to access gear.

I recently stumbled across the kata 3n1 series bag, and really like the concept. Backpack on a sling, that loads the cam on the side that is faceup when you swing it around in front of you. Seems to be a nice compromise between backpack and hip, and laptop capable as well. Haven't seriously researched it yet, but good price too.

I dislike the sling types... I went through 3 different lowepro slingshot versions (including a pentax variant) and I didn't like it--too much work to spin around, too hard to open, too awkward at putting in and taking out equipment.

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #10569030 (external link)
I highly reccomend checking out the Lowepro Classified 250 AW...

It can hold a helluva lot of gear if you want it to!

That's a good looking bag--I'll have to give that (and the smaller sizes) a serious look.

crn3371 wrote in post #10570791 (external link)
Check out the Tenba photo satchels. My main bag is a Tamrac Expedition backpack. Great for weight distribution and carrying heavy loads, but sucks as a shooting bag. Picked up the Tenba as a shooting bag and so far I've been happy with it. I will admit that if I load it up it does get a little tiresome with all of the weight on one shoulder, but any shoulder bag will.

Are you referring to these ones?
http://www.tenba.com/C​ollections/Messenger.a​spx (external link)
They are fugly beyond belief and wide to boot ;) I like the one with the laptop insert though--versatility takes a backseat to looks...

2mnycars wrote in post #10570836 (external link)
You've got a lot of gear!
For shooter's bags--I prefer Domke. I plan to look at the Retro bags from ThinkTank when local vendors wize up and carry them.
I've had sling bags--don't like them. Wearing them and pulling gear out just doesn't feel good. And I end up rumpled like I slept in my clothes.
I've had messenger bags; the ones I chose were hard to work out of.
There are lots of photos on this site. Check the list at the top of the index, and you'll see bags filled with gear like yours.

Hope this helps!

edit: the list--
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=585253

When I'm out and about, I'm a minimalist... my 7d, 70-200mm attached, the 15-85mm, and MAYBE the 50mm 1.8. That's it. 5 lbs worth won't take up much room and it won't put a strain on my shoulder. I've already taken a look at the bag thread, but I like personalized recommendations all the same ;) I really really like the thinktank retrospect models, but they're impossible to find locally to look at, as you've said...

bjmin wrote in post #10574530 (external link)
+1 on crumplers. Have a collection going on the MDH's. Inconspicuous except for the sometimes bright colors.

Had tarmac velocity x9 that didn't seem to hold as much and uncomfortable having to slide the pack back to front

The tarmac is the opposite of what I'd want in a satchel ;) Ugly, unwieldy... that poor man-model looks so awkward with that thing.

I think I may have to try a crumpler next--so many people seem to recommend them...

sportesan wrote in post #10593026 (external link)
Tamrac Express 7

Now that I REALLY like. Looks good, functional, looks well padded, AND it's cheap to boot. Hmm...

My Gearlist

Jigglypuff
101 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 24, 2010 01:17 |  #12

I've got a black Tenba that I really enjoy since I can remove the padded insert and use it as a school pack (http://www.tenba.com …rge-Photo-Laptop-Bag.aspx (external link)). My only suggestion would be to replace the included shoulders strap with something better like an Optech SOS strap (http://optechusa.com …CT_SUB_ID=&CATE​GORY_ID=11 (external link))

I do like the the internal layout of Domke's more, but I can't stand the latches that they use.

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 24, 2010 01:40 |  #13

The Domke Messenger bags are real nice.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

sportesan
80 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 24, 2010 14:56 |  #14

MOkoFOko wrote in post #10593353 (external link)
Now that I REALLY like. Looks good, functional, looks well padded, AND it's cheap to boot. Hmm...

I purchased one and so far I really like it! The inside is very customizable and it is very sleek, compact and stylish. I'm going to be using it on my trip in New York (I just got here!) and I'll report back on how it works after a days use.

http://sportesan.smugm​ug.com (external link)
Rebel XSi, Tokina 11-16, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, Canon 50 1.8

algold
538 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 24, 2010 15:19 |  #15

I bought a Tamrac Adventure Messenger 4 Model 5534, which is very similar to Express 7, about a year ago and so far I'm quite happy with it, takes my 40D with 70-200 attached and have enough room for a couple more lenses and bits and bobs. Well made and quite cheap. If you don't load too much into the external pocket the bag is slim as well.
http://www.tamrac.com/​5534.htm (external link)

100D, 40D, 10-18 IS STM, 18-135 IS STM, Sigma 30/1.4, 40/2.8 STM, 60/2.8 macro, MP-E 65/2.8, 85/1.8, 70-200/4 L, 270EX, 430EX, MR-14ex, Metz 58 AF-1
EOS-M3 22/2, 18-55 is stm

sponsored links

10,419 views & 0 likes for this thread
satchel/messenger bag suggestions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.