Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Jul 2010 (Saturday) 01:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting my first wedding under a pro with a few rules

shayneyasinski
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 24, 2010 01:20 |  #1

I am shooting my first wedding for my pro photog friend that will be there but shooting video, he has laid down a few rules to use when shooting and I want to run them down with you guys to see if he is right or if his somwhat dated knowledge is right for my gear setup.

first he says to shoot tv at 160 with flash bounced at all times with diffuser and the flash is 580 and not my 430.

we also went into the ring when it came to me using my 17-55 or his 24-70L , I know it is a good lens but mine is not crap so I will be using my 17-55 as I am used to it.

now what I am wondering is if the 160 in tv mode with the 580 is set in stone??
is this right?

I will also be shooting raw as I always do for this kind of stuff .

but so far I have all batteries charged and new spare aa's for flash(new) 3 new sandisk 8gb cards , my 40d with 70-200 2.8L mounted for backup or to get mom crying, lenspen, new shoes to look like a million bucks and a butterfly in my stomach ..

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

sponsored links
alabama1980
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 24, 2010 02:00 |  #2

Personally, if he "hired" you I would do it his way, period. When you do them on your own use your kit lens, your camera phone, your point and shoot...whatever. Until then I wouldn't go "into the ring" with someone who is taking a chance on you. If he perceives you as bullheaded he may not take another chance.

My day job is sanding floors. My boss can come up with some of the most asinine, backwards way of doing things I've ever heard. I certainly know how to do it better and/or easier, but I do it his way because he is the boss. Not to mention that if something goes wrong with his method I can point a finger at him rather than him pointing one at me.

Name's Andy! :)
Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)
asheltonphoto.com (external link)

Jigglypuff
101 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 24, 2010 02:00 |  #3

The shutter speed rule seems iffy to me, but I'll have to let more knowledgeable people chime in about that.

Have you tested the CF cards yet? Even though they're new, they could still be duds and you wouldn't know it until you try to transfer the images. I'd use older, trusted cards before the new ones.

I'd advise against wearing your new shoes as well if possible. It'll take some time for the shoes to break in and you run the risk of developing some major blisters over the course of the day.

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 24, 2010 02:10 |  #4

It is all good, we are good friends and he does very well with pics but he stopped at the 40d as far as reading and looking into new gear .
He at first was thinking the 17-55 was not a capable lens for this job and he thought that it was like a 18-55 kit lens, after a few test shots that was all behind us.

I just hope that 160 with the flash is going to be the best way to shoot as he has never used IS.

I hope that 160 in tv mode wont get my 2.8 all the time and a sharp nose but fuzzy eyes or somthing wrong like that.

he is very worried about camera shake and uses some sort of calculation that takes the lens mm to get a shutter speed that will not show camera shake ????

I have IS and a steady hand and do well but again he is the pro but not aware of what is can do..

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 24, 2010 02:11 |  #5

Jigglypuff wrote in post #10593740 (external link)
The shutter speed rule seems iffy to me, but I'll have to let more knowledgeable people chime in about that.

Have you tested the CF cards yet? Even though they're new, they could still be duds and you wouldn't know it until you try to transfer the images. I'd use older, trusted cards before the new ones.

I'd advise against wearing your new shoes as well if possible. It'll take some time for the shoes to break in and you run the risk of developing some major blisters over the course of the day.

shoes are good, cards have been tested and used for a couple of days.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,504 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 24, 2010 02:16 |  #6

shayneyasinski wrote in post #10593761 (external link)
I have IS and a steady hand and do well but again he is the pro but not aware of what is can do..

Maybe he's more concerned with unexpected subject movement. IS won't help much if you're at 1/15' and someone turns their head.

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 24, 2010 02:22 |  #7

It is all good, we are good friends and he does very well with pics but he stopped at the 40d as far as reading and looking into new gear .
He at first was thinking the 17-55 was not a capable lens for this job and he thought that it was like a 18-55 kit lens, after a few test shots that was all behind us.

I just hope that 160 with the flash is going to be the best way to shoot as he has never used IS.

I hope that 160 in tv mode wont get my 2.8 all the time and a sharp nose but fuzzy eyes or somthing wrong like that.

he is very worried about camera shake and uses some sort of calculation that takes the lens mm to get a shutter speed that will not show camera shake ????

Seriously?! He's a pro photographer and he's not aware of the capabilities of the 17-55mm IS?! Either he shoots Nikon, or something doesn't feel right ;) He's trying to force his 24-70mm on you, so he must be a Canon man...

My Gearlist

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 24, 2010 02:38 |  #8

he lost a member of his family (mother) and he no longer watches tv or reads much, after the 40d he just lost interest in gear .
he has a 50d and he gave me his 40d and I was just getting into gear so i asked here and bought my lens lineup.

As far as photogs he is in the top 3 in the city.

we have about 40 shooters doing weddings and I am honored to work with him and learn as his work is very good.

this wedding is unusal as the bride and groom do not want photos just video so he said he would have me shoot pics for a small fee and they liked the idea so they got me.

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 24, 2010 02:44 |  #9

Usually you want a shutter speed the reciprocal value of the effective focal length. So if you're shooting @200mm a shutter speed of 1/200 usually negates minimal camera shake. On a crop camera you need to take the crop factor into consideration, 200 x 1.6 = 320 so 1/320. Now consider IS, a 3 stop compensation may help compensate camera movement as low as 1/40.

If you have a steady hand, IS engaged and firing a flash 1/160 should be good. It keeps you under the sync speed, or bump ISO, increase shutter speed and use high speed sync flash.

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 24, 2010 03:05 |  #10

Rubi Jane wrote in post #10593837 (external link)
Usually you want a shutter speed the reciprocal value of the effective focal length. So if you're shooting @200mm a shutter speed of 1/200 usually negates minimal camera shake. On a crop camera you need to take the crop factor into consideration, 200 x 1.6 = 320 so 1/320. Now consider IS, a 3 stop compensation may help compensate camera movement as low as 1/40.

If you have a steady hand, IS engaged and firing a flash 1/160 should be good. It keeps you under the sync speed, or bump ISO, increase shutter speed and use high speed sync flash.

2000 Tj with 4 inch lift and 33's , you?

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 24, 2010 04:32 |  #11

shayneyasinski wrote in post #10593866 (external link)
2000 Tj with 4 inch lift and 33's , you?

Huh...?

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

Travis ­ Forsyth
248 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 24, 2010 08:20 |  #12

MOkoFOko wrote in post #10593791 (external link)
Seriously?! He's a pro photographer and he's not aware of the capabilities of the 17-55mm IS?! Either he shoots Nikon, or something doesn't feel right ;) He's trying to force his 24-70mm on you, so he must be a Canon man...

I wish people would force a 24-70mm on me...

Voigtlander Bessa R3M
Nokton 40mm 1.4 SC
A dorm room fridge packed with film.

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 24, 2010 08:44 |  #13

shayneyasinski wrote in post #10593648 (external link)
I am shooting my first wedding for my pro photog friend

first he says to shoot tv at 160 with flash bounced at all times with diffuser and the flash is 580 and not my 430.

MAYBE he meant to shoot in M mode, but keep the shutter speed at 1/160? Tv mode is stupid for flash, because you have NO control over the DOF. Like you said, depending on your ISO and the ambient lighting, you'll probably be at f/2.8 all the time.

But if he really meant Tv mode, then I'll be blunt and say that is a STUPID way to shoot indoor stuff with flash. Did he even specify the ISO to use? Please don't tell me he said to use AutoISO :rolleyes:

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,285 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 24, 2010 10:24 |  #14

TV=1/160...bad, from my own perspective, for the following reasons

It fails to

• capture any of the ambient light, unless it is fairly bright, so the shot is totally dependent upon the flat lighting of flash on camera.
  • It allows the aperture to be controlled, losing the photographer's ability to select aperture for DOF control reasons
  • For you , with an IS lens, it loses the benefit of 'dragging the shutter' to capture ambient light, while taking advantage of the IS to permit you to hand hold the camera with the slower shutter speed.

Perhaps he simply wants to give his 'alternate' a foolproof technique that is not as demanding of technical prowess as shooting with the camera in M, and which will get the shot (albeit not to the best possible shot technically)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 24, 2010 10:29 |  #15

It sounds like you're talking about photographing the reception? This is not a fill light situation? Personally, when I'm shooting an indoor reception and am using flash, I immediately go to M because I want to take complete control over the exposure. TV and 160 will work, but it leaves aperature to chance and it will probably aways set itself at 2.8 which is too thin for a reception. Even if shooting fill flash, I'll use AV and not TV because it's aperature I want to keep control over.

At the end of the day, though, the boss is the boss.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

sponsored links

3,470 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting my first wedding under a pro with a few rules
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.