Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Jul 2010 (Friday) 01:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo's of Famous people

POFP
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 23, 2010 01:21 |  #1

Hi,

I'm involved in the setup of a new non profit organization which has a website about famous people. The site receives member submitted content and we'd like quality photo's. What would it take for you to submit your photo's to this high traffic website without payment? ie. besides $, are there certain copyright/license conditions which may make the opportunity viable/attractive or otherwise?

Thank you

sponsored links
Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 23, 2010 01:28 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

www.flickr.com (external link)
try searching for certain creative commons licenses.

that's probably the best bet.

www.creativecommons.or​g (external link)

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

POFP
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 23, 2010 01:41 |  #3

Karl, thanks for the suggestion. Having looked at these sites I notice good photos of famous people seem to be extremely scarce. Hence I'm trying to pose the question to photographers that may have lots of good photos, what would it take to get them to post a photo to a public high traffic site?

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 23, 2010 02:55 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

http://www.gettyimages​.ca/ (external link)

this is your cost-effective best bet, but like anything..you gotta pay for the good stuff.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 23, 2010 02:56 |  #5

Welcome to the board, but I have to be completely honest and utterly blunt.

High traffic means jack s**t, however it seems from both posts that's your "big draw" for the photographer to submit. You're asking for photographers to submit for free with photos they could get hundreds, and sometimes thousands, of dollars if the content is right from other sources. Photo credit on a high traffic site means nothing, NOBODY is reading it and/or could care less about it except the photographer, their family, and other photographers. I've been published (paid) on some of the most visited sites in the world, as well as the most circulated magazines/newspapers in the world, and not once has anyone but those already listed above mentioned the photo credit.

While on the subject, it's a startup but yet is high traffic? I doubt that.

Copyright issues, only if you try to take the copyright of anyone who is dumb enough to submit free. If you try to rob their copyright and haven't given them a darn thing I find it unethical - yet companies do it all the time - and if not clear you will run into problems. Some people are gullible enough to think photo credit matters and submit before reading, that's their own stupidity driven by ego, but the site will get a bad name. If stealing images from the web, expect a lawsuit or a hefty bill for the illegal activity. If you're talking about copyright about the person in the photo (the celebrity) then you need a lesson on commercial vs editorial usage before starting up any site.

Sorry to be so blunt, but beating around the bush does nothing.

So the answer is simple, PAY FOR THEM, just like TMZ and other sites do. Non-profit celebrity site seems like a strange concept, gossip site doing it for free?? Don't see a charity angle so you have really no right asking for people to work for free for your own benefit. If only labor laws covered creative work to.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

SnapLocally.com
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 23, 2010 09:28 |  #6

POFP wrote in post #10587632 (external link)
I'm trying to pose the question to photographers that may have lots of good photos, what would it take to get them to post a photo to a public high traffic site?

Money.

Why would a photographer go to the lengths they do to get "famous people" photos just to give them away? It's an insulting idea to say the least. Maybe you'd be better off finding a photo you like, hunting down the photographer, and let them know how popular you can make them by putting their name in a smallish caption next to their celebrity portrait, and let us know how your negotiations went.

www.SnapLocally.com (external link)

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 23, 2010 10:35 |  #7

This non-profit is a charity?
Really the question is what else is there to offer other then money? Does your company give the revenue to children in Haiti?
I have done some charity work in the past and did it for the warm and fuzzies. I did it for reputable organizations that I felt were going to use the work in a beneficial way for their cause.
As far as doing it for the exposure? Your web traffic is not likely affecting my bottom line and the exposure won't put food on my table.
As far as copyright and licensing, we already own the copyright and license, I am confused on how you would use this as a negotiation method.
I would consider licensing usage rights for specific gigs under my current day rate and as far as my current stock of celeb photos, I would sell the images with usage rights.
If you are not offering to pay with real money what are you offering for the shots?

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 24, 2010 00:50 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

POFP wrote in post #10587564 (external link)
What would it take for you to submit your photo's to this high traffic website without payment?

Well, it would take a couple of things.

First, nubile young women; 23-28 years of age. Brunettes, if possible, but I'm not all too picky.

Second, and actually more importantly, it would take a ridiculously clear and detailed explanation as to why I would want to submit photos to this "high traffic website" for nothing. I've been sitting here for the last several minutes trying to conjur up a scenario in which I would agree to do that and, quite honestly, I got nothin'.

I would also need to see the website. That would be a biggie. If it's a "high traffic website", you should be more than willing to provide a link to it. I don't understand why you didn't do that.

In short, it looks like you're trying to get good images on your website for nothing. That's not the definition of "non-profit". "Non-profit" simply means that you don't make money after your expenses are covered. Payments for photos would be counted among your expenses.

Also, copyright and licensing "conditions" tend to be considered when determining how much a photographer wants to be paid. Why don't you tell us what you're offering? What's the up-side for the photographers? Why would someone want to give you work that they could otherwise be paid for elsewhere?

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 24, 2010 03:45 |  #9

^^ +1 to MJP and Snap

POFP wrote in post #10587632 (external link)
what would it take to get them to post a photo to a public high traffic site?

About US$10,000 per image. Maybe more, depending on the shot.

And just a quick question for you POFP - Are you providing your services for nothing?

I too agree with Breitling...why no link??

Maybe go try another forum.
I don't think you'll find much love here.

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

Borna ­ C
142 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 24, 2010 06:51 |  #10

guys, don't be so harsh. Life isn't all about money. it's also about good sex, fast cars and expensive alcohol. So if you are offering any of those, I have quite a number of celebrity shots for you. They're not good shots, because those are already sold to people who actually pay for photos, but still, you might get something out of them.

Canon 40D + grip, Canon 400D + grip, 430EX flash, YN-460 x 3, RF-602 triggers
Canon 50mm 1.4, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, Sigma 55-200 f/4.0-5.6
web-site (external link) facebook (external link)http://fotoidijot.blog​er.hr (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 24, 2010 07:41 |  #11

Hi,

I'm involved in the setup of a new non profit organization which has a website about famous people. The site receives member submitted content and we'd like quality photo's.

You could always tell the members to submit better quality photos.
That would be an easy fix

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 24, 2010 15:20 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

i dont understand why people waste time posting if they just want to undermine people, a bit too stuck up on their high horses reiterating drivel.

bartering is not uncommon.

a recent client did not have the budget for me to shoot their wedding. so instead they offered a 9000$ printer they weren't using. it was 9 grand in 2006 anyway, not sure about now actually but it works! the point is:

try bartering out, for meals or something like that. maybe a free gift certificate from one of your sponsors or advertisers.

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 24, 2010 15:42 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

although one person did have a point, you should be budgeting this in with your business expensses. just because you are a non profit (are you registered as a non profit? someone should have given you some resources about this stuff..if not you need to find someone to set you up properly, ) doesn't mean you get free stuff.

a non profit has a budget for its staff, it seeks donations from advertisers and sponsors, it isn't making money ...but it is operating as another business would, within the same guidelines...relative to where you live and what the terms and laws are there of course.

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 24, 2010 16:12 |  #14

Karl Johnston wrote in post #10595963 (external link)
i dont understand why people waste time posting if they just want to undermine people, a bit too stuck up on their high horses reiterating drivel.

bartering is not uncommon.

a recent client did not have the budget for me to shoot their wedding. so instead they offered a 9000$ printer they weren't using. it was 9 grand in 2006 anyway, not sure about now actually but it works! the point is:

try bartering out, for meals or something like that. maybe a free gift certificate from one of your sponsors or advertisers.

Bartering was brought up a few times. Requested what the op had to offer.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,868 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 24, 2010 16:59 |  #15

Hi,

I'm involved in the setup of a new non profit organization which has a website about famous people. The site receives member submitted content and we'd like quality photo's. What would it take for you to submit your photo's to this high traffic website without payment? ie. besides $, are there certain copyright/license conditions which may make the opportunity viable/attractive or otherwise?

Thank you

How about posting the site up?

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

sponsored links

3,467 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photo's of Famous people
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.