Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 25 Jul 2010 (Sunday) 09:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

online ordering for new business

jeljohns
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 25, 2010 09:17 |  #1

I am just starting out and am not making any money yet (but paying out plenty to get started of course). I am very overwhelmed by all the choices for online proofing and sales, but I have yet to find anything that fits my needs. At this point I cannot afford to pay a large amount up front like some companies are asking. It seems like most of the companies I've found want you to pay a set up fee, a yearly or monthly fee, AND on top of that they take a huge commission. I understand taking a fee to process credit cards but some are charging up to 18% of your entire sale (not just your profit) plus other fees.
I am looking for:

-ability to take credit cards and order online
-not be charges a huge chunk of my sales in commission fees
-I want to use my lab (Mpix Pro) because I am very happy with their products
-self fulfillment would be good, but not a must if I can use my own lab

Any suggestions?

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,879 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 25, 2010 10:15 |  #2

So a gallery with shopping cart would be good? Free JAlbum.net - Will build excellent galleries & now has free hosting, too. A few skins incorporate shopping cart features & some of those aren't free.
http://jalbum.net (external link)

JAlbum skins seem easy to modify & there's a lot of help in their forums. Some subforums are dedicated to only one skin, which makes it easier to get info. And many of the skins have been made by users, & they would possibly be interested in helping you to customize yours.
http://jalbum.erica59.​com/jalbum.html (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 25, 2010 10:21 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #3

Can you accept credit cards through JAlbums?

PhotosGuy
75,879 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 25, 2010 21:30 |  #4

That's what "shopping cart features" are.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

tim
Light Bringer
50,986 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 25, 2010 22:09 |  #5

Photographers Shopping Cart from www.picturespro.com (external link) is what I use. It integrates with PayPal or a range of credit card processors.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

janeks
58 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 25, 2010 23:28 |  #6

Shopping cart feature not necessary equals with ability to take credit cards.

tim
Light Bringer
50,986 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 25, 2010 23:42 |  #7

janeks wrote in post #10602982 (external link)
Shopping cart feature not necessary equals with ability to take credit cards.

Um... I have no idea what you mean. Can you try again, slightly less cryptic this time?

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

mrslevite
135 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 29, 2010 12:26 |  #8

The shopping cart may be set up to use credit cards, but the owner of the shop has to have a contract with a credit card processor. Fortunately, Paypal will process credit cards, so if you have paypal business account, you should be ok. At least that has been my experience.

mrslevite
135 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 29, 2010 12:27 |  #9

Also, I have been happy with fototime.com. The rates/prices are very reasonable. However, the site is not a 'slick' as some of the more expensive options.

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 29, 2010 14:31 |  #10

I have been very happy with Exposure Manager:

http://www.exposureman​ager.com/aff/pixelcraf​t (external link)

They do not use Mpix, but you can do self fulfillment with them. What i do is let EM handle all my prints up to 8x10, then do the larger stuff as self fulfillment through Mpix. My reasoning is that 8x10 and smaller most good labs do very similar work. Once you go large quality seems to matter more so I get pickier. The bonus with this is that 95% of my orders are 8x10 or smaller so I rarely have to re-direct my orders to Mpix which makes less work for me.

They have an anual fee, then take 10% of your sales. Their print quality is good, never had a complaint in the three years I've been using them and I get plenty of orders. I took on $1,439.58 worth of print orders for November so far and my take is $1,100.91 which represents them taking 10% and then there's the lab fees, what it costs to print. Not bad for a month, but it is one of the busiest ordering months I have. Keep in mind that I do this very part time and 95% of my orders this month was from a shoot that spaned 3 days, but I only shot 4 hours per day. Add another 4 hours of editing them down in numbers and basic crop/rotate.

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,296 views & 0 likes for this thread
online ordering for new business
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.