Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 10 May 2010 (Monday) 09:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Facebook as a marketing tool

Mhappy
356 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 14, 2010 13:30 |  #76

bulayog wrote in post #10180225 (external link)
How does this photo contest work?

This person is doing a kids/baby contest. Those who want to enter, send in their favorite picture of their kid, (I assume in the inbox). The photographer will add all the entries in it's own album, then the parent have to get everyone they know to become a fan of the photography page and vote for the persons picture. A person can only vote on the same picture once, otherwise it'll get disqualified, and professional photos will be pulled as well. If the votee doesn't 'fan' the page, the vote doesn't count.

In the past 4 months, I've been asked by 3 people on my friends list to vote on their kids picture so they can will the photo contest! :shock: (I think to myself... ummm - you know I am a photographer right?????)
(each request is for a different photographer's contest.)

These contests seems to be becoming more and more popular (In my area anyways). And they always seem to be run by newbies and those that look like they pick up their camera and shoot without a clue, and slap a ...Name... Photography watermark on the pictures they post.

50D / XT (backup) / 17-85mm / 24-70mm f/2.8 L / 50mm f/1.8 / 2- 430 EX Speedlite and a Fonger (I know most photogs hate it, but I like it!) / Everything else I use... I rent! ;-)a

sponsored links
smmokan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 25, 2010 10:51 |  #77

airfrogusmc wrote in post #10180896 (external link)
Well to give detail could mean a lot of reading.

First I want to clear a few thing up. Some seem to think that because I shot high end weddings and now do advertising/commercial type work I was just somehow born into it.

My father worked construction and I grew up in a trailer. I joined the Marines at 18 and got college through the GI bill. College wasn't important to my family.

So I figured out a way to get into that market and also the market I now work in. I didn't have anyone do it for me ,I figured it out myself. I have worked in photography full time since graduating from college in 1986 and I have made a very good living doing it. Houses mortgages kids through school so WTF could I possibley know about making it in this field:rolleyes:.

Well I do know enough to tell you if I were still shooting high end weddings a social networking site is not the way I would approach things. I would start where I left off and I would reconnect with the high end hotels and and the wedding consultants that I once worked with. I would even reacquaint myself with the high end florists, orchestras and videographers I once worked with. I wouldn't want to pardon the pun over expose myself on a chat site especially where my income was attached directly to. Its just not how that market in this area works.

For my business now if I hadn't spent so much time getting into a real niche field and I were doing a different type of work I would hire a rep to rep me. I do know a few and I would have them help me market to very specific clients. As it stands right now I have 10 or 12 big clients that I shoot for on a regular basis and maybe another 18 or so that use me once a month down to only a couple of times a year. But for me its about long term relationships with clients and keeping my clients coming back.

I don't have web presence at all. In the type of work I do it could actually work against me and its not how my clients would hire a photographer. Most of my work has been word of mouth and/or direct contact with a potential client. That done the old fashion way with a portfolio and a face to face but to even get through the front door you need a key and that key is another satisfied client within the field.

So my advice is first find out what you want to be. The kiss of death is trying to be everything to everybody. Then find out how the best way to learn about the field is and after you learn (could take years of working for peanuts for an established shooter) then target market to that specific client. Then once you have an opportunity, do it with everything you've got because in this world you are only s good as your last job. All the designers and art directors know each other and talk so if you screw sump'm up it gets around very quickly.

This is the short version.

Someone needs to get pushed off of their high horse. Holy crap, your head is huge.

www.ChasingEpicMTB.com (external link)

turbo212003
852 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 25, 2010 21:26 |  #78

airfrogusmc wrote in post #10153645 (external link)
Well 100 million are of those are probably photographer so I would think the shotgun approach to marketing is not the way I would want to get clients. I don't want clients that would hire a photographer from facebook. I think if you're serious about marketing your talents the time and effort would be better spent with a more targeted approach. Thats my 2 cents.

This statement is laughable. I booked 11 weddings from placing Facebook ads/having a fan page. It's about as "targeted" as you can get. I advertise to 18-30 engaged females.They're looking for a wedding photographer and I have been doing pretty good booking those. I get inquiries from friend's of clients saying "I saw your images on facebook and loved them" How do you explain that Facebook isn't a huge marketing tool?

Gear List
http://www.grantwphoto​.com (external link)

jdouglas003
392 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 26, 2010 09:50 |  #79

smmokan wrote in post #10599790 (external link)
Someone needs to get pushed off of their high horse. Holy crap, your head is huge.

Sounds like pretty solid advice to me. Of course you can tweak what's said to make it work for you, like incorporating some of the modern (Facebook) marketing tools.

Just my 1 cent worth.

http://www.movingexpos​ure.com (external link)
Portrait, Event, Sports Phtography (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,856 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jul 26, 2010 09:59 |  #80

turbo212003 wrote in post #10602375 (external link)
This statement is laughable. I booked 11 weddings from placing Facebook ads/having a fan page. It's about as "targeted" as you can get. I advertise to 18-30 engaged females.They're looking for a wedding photographer and I have been doing pretty good booking those. I get inquiries from friend's of clients saying "I saw your images on facebook and loved them" How do you explain that Facebook isn't a huge marketing tool?

I guess it just depends on what your market is. The market I shot weddings in clients went through wedding consults and pretty much still do. I got repeat business (referrals) and jobs from wedding consultants and catering managers from the hotles and that clientele wouldn't book weddings from face book so who's laughable.

Again it just depends on what market you want to target. My huge head always thought it was better shooting 30 weddings a year and making a lot more money than someone shooting 100 wedding a year. So yeah my head is HUGE. Thanks.

mknabster
827 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 26, 2010 10:03 |  #81

I tried creating a fan page for my business, and it's not really working for me at all. I have 4 fans on there, and they're all from my friends list. Then again, I don't keep up with it like other companies do, but I really don't know what to put on there either.

- Matt

MK Studios (external link)
My Gear

Borna ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 26, 2010 11:27 |  #82

mknabster wrote in post #10604950 (external link)
I tried creating a fan page for my business, and it's not really working for me at all. I have 4 fans on there, and they're all from my friends list. Then again, I don't keep up with it like other companies do, but I really don't know what to put on there either.

just see what people in your niche do, and start from there

Canon 40D + grip, Canon 400D + grip, 430EX flash, YN-460 x 3, RF-602 triggers
Canon 50mm 1.4, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, Sigma 55-200 f/4.0-5.6
web-site (external link) facebook (external link)http://fotoidijot.blog​er.hr (external link)

dugcross
876 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 26, 2010 12:29 as a reply to  @ Borna C's post |  #83

I have a fan page for my web site but it's not to get more business. I originally made it for my friends to let them know when I add to my web site so if they wanted to check out the new photos or artwork they can. Since then I've seen people join it whom I don't know, which is great but still I just use it as a tool to let people know when I update my web site.

Doug Cross
Graphic Designer and Photographer
www.crossphotographics​.com (external link)

denise69
282 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 28, 2010 13:14 |  #84

I am a small business owner, in a small town.
FB is pretty much everywhere.
I have a personal account that i still approve friends etc on.
I do post photos on there.
The way I look at it is, it is free advertising as well as referrals. I actually have my customers sign a statement w/their information sheets, stating that they will label their photos on FB w/my business name, city and phone number.
People will always ask, 'where did you have those done', so why not take advantage of it!
As far as Senior Photos, i post them as well for my seniors. I would rather have control of the photo then to have them scan them and diminish the quality that is portrayed as my work. PLUS they show their friends and then again, free advertising and more business is created.

Is it for everyone, probably not.
BUT for this small town business owner, it is a 'perk' for customers and they love it.

Best to all!

crimsonblack
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 28, 2010 14:23 |  #85

Any opportunity for free advertising should not be wasted. It's always worth the try even you only get one gig out of it. Doing Facebook is better than twitter or a blog that maybe 100 people look at a month. Facebook could be hundreds of people per day - especially if your facebook is worth a look.

Imagine this: a dad or mom needs a photographer. Their son or daughter saw your page. They tell the parent and you get a call. Wasted opp if you don't do it.

| 7D Gripped | 28-135 f/3.5-4.6 | 50 f/1.8 || --- Sony F717 digital (infrared) --- Bunch of Film Stuff:- | Nikon & Nikkormat | 50/28/70-150/400 | B & J 4x5 large format | Mamiya C220 |
BurntEffects.com (external link)

mdelrossi1
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 12, 2011 18:42 as a reply to  @ post 10155327 |  #86

@cdiphoto What is your facebook page?
I can't find it.

www.delrossiphotograph​y.com (external link)

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 12, 2011 18:50 |  #87

Borna C wrote in post #10153617 (external link)
500 million people is not a small market to overlook. I see a lot of photogs lately opening fan pages or similar on facebook, and since I was talked into opening one (external link)yesterday, I was hoping we could share some good ideas about improving business trough facebook.

You HAVE to be on Facebook for pretty much any business segment. 25% of all page views on the Internet in the US are from Facebook. You may not close a deal there, but it will build your brand and get you in front of your prospects. Many industries it is difficult to provide value via Facebook or any social network without sounding noisy and spammy though. You have to be creative to make it work for you.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,779 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 12, 2011 21:03 |  #88

Saxi wrote in post #11627665 (external link)
You HAVE to be on Facebook for pretty much any business segment .

Hoveround is not on Facebook.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 12, 2011 21:17 |  #89

RDKirk wrote in post #11628708 (external link)
Hoveround is not on Facebook.

Huh?

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 13, 2011 04:14 |  #90

Here is my 2 cents worth...

My Facebook advertising costing around $3000 per year to a targeted demographic of 20,000 engaged people in the right geographic locations. Targeted even more and only focusing on women as they tend to be 99.5% of those who click through. This being approximately 18,000,000 impressions over a year. That is 900 advert views on average per potential client.

Versus a business card sized ad in the Yellow Pages which costs roughly the same. 20% of the directories which get put in the bin straight away. Then you have all the other related stats and possibilities as to whether they will see an ad and act on it and so on.

Or to put another way I only advertise on Facebook, Google Ads and two online wedding directories. No brochures, expos, magazines, newspapers etc. It can work very well.

Peter

sponsored links

13,031 views & 0 likes for this thread
Facebook as a marketing tool
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.