Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 09:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Only email on business card?

ayn
90 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 24, 2010 19:31 as a reply to  @ post 10596537 |  #31

I have my Google Voice number, but next time I might print my real number and put something like "FaceTime/Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx". ;)

@ayn (external link), photography.andrewng.c​om (external link), blog.andrewng.com (external link)
Founder & iOS at Priime (external link)

Writeups: 100L Macro (external link), 85L II (external link), 5D2 (external link), X100 (external link), G11 (external link), LX3 (external link)

sponsored links
Borna ­ C
142 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 25, 2010 08:11 |  #32

I'm not an older couple and I don't like to send e-mails to people I don't know. I don't like to send them at all if it's not a big bunch of information that I can't say over the phone. Also, I hate text messages. Just pick up the freaking phone and be done with it.

also, taking options away from your clients is never a good idea

Canon 40D + grip, Canon 400D + grip, 430EX flash, YN-460 x 3, RF-602 triggers
Canon 50mm 1.4, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, Sigma 55-200 f/4.0-5.6
web-site (external link) facebook (external link)http://fotoidijot.blog​er.hr (external link)

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 25, 2010 10:26 |  #33

This is a really helpful thread for me, I'm about 80% deaf and although get by in most one on one conversations, I pretty much only dare to use a phone if it is my iPhone and usually only with my headset while wearing hearing aids- shot too many rock concerts in my film days lol.

I try hard to get peoe to email me at first and then do our more immediate communication by text, I also do a lot on facebook.

I've avoided cards because of the phone thing but reading this may get some made anyway with just email and wondering if I listed my phone number as text only if that might work?

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,779 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Jul 25, 2010 12:02 |  #34

cdifoto wrote in post #10587056 (external link)
Telephone usage isn't my most used method of communication, but it's still one of the best, IMHO. Short of face-to-face conversation, it's the only way to clear up any and all possible misunderstandings.

This needs to be repeated. I personally prefer e-mail, but I also note that e-mail is a lousy way to ensure both parties have the same concept in their heads. E-mail and everything else is fine for the initial contact and fine for confirming the final details, but for that in-between stage of creating the specifications of the job and the final sales session, nothing beats having as much personal contact as possible.

E-mail can't relay the unconscious hesitation in speech that on a phone signals "they're not sure about what you just said."

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

josh5k
359 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 26, 2010 04:16 |  #35

I use the phone as the last option. Typically even on the phone number I request a text and call only if urgent. Considering the time stuck in traffic or with other clients or while sleeping .... I'd prefer to have a convenience of getting back when I'm available and I'm sure my other clients prefer it that way too.

My order of preference:-

1. Email
2. Text
3. Facebook
4. Phone Call

If it's someone who is already a client and you are on the job, never hesitate to use the phone of course. The preference list only for possible futures.

CameraLogy.Com (external link) MMayhem (external link) Twitter (external link) GEARG+ (external link)
My Facebook Page (external link)!!

Borna ­ C
142 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 26, 2010 11:29 |  #36

josh5k wrote in post #10603815 (external link)
I use the phone as the last option. Typically even on the phone number I request a text and call only if urgent. Considering the time stuck in traffic or with other clients or while sleeping .... I'd prefer to have a convenience of getting back when I'm available and I'm sure my other clients prefer it that way too.

My order of preference:-

1. Email
2. Text
3. Facebook
4. Phone Call

If it's someone who is already a client and you are on the job, never hesitate to use the phone of course. The preference list only for possible futures.

and what that reads to a potential client is "I want you to hire me, but I don't really have time for you right now, or any time, so please text me and I'll decide when I want to talk to you". not a very good first impression

Canon 40D + grip, Canon 400D + grip, 430EX flash, YN-460 x 3, RF-602 triggers
Canon 50mm 1.4, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, Sigma 55-200 f/4.0-5.6
web-site (external link) facebook (external link)http://fotoidijot.blog​er.hr (external link)

bshphoto
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 26, 2010 13:51 |  #37

I don think that there should be any hesitation whether to put your phone number on your card or not. I personally give my card to people I would like to work with… so why not.

Now, you may think about if you want to post you number on your web page or not. In that case really depends of what your market is, if your are shooting high end fashion or commercial work not showing your phone on you page might save you some rude calls from people asking for assisting jobs and so on…

I personally post my number, e-mail and web page.
I get contacted by
1. Contact-form of my web page
2. E-mail
3. Phone
4. Other way

Excuse my English 

.::Product and Food Photography ::::Професионален Фотограф ::. (external link)

ruuustin
25 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 26, 2010 17:30 |  #38

ayn wrote in post #10596931 (external link)
I have my Google Voice number, but next time I might print my real number and put something like "FaceTime/Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx". ;)

I use my google voice # for my business cards, although keep in mind my cards are non-photography related. I always have it forward straight to voice mail and call people back. It allows me to screen legit calls from people who are actually interested in my services versus people who are just calling for prices. I have also found that when people are seriously considering working with me saying "let me give you my personal number that I don't give out on my card so you can get a hold of me better" makes people think that they are getting special treatment. It also reduces the amount of cell phone garbage calls that I get.

sponsored links

4,517 views & 0 likes for this thread
Only email on business card?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.