Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 30 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 10:09
Search threadPrev/next

1st time glamour shoot

DavidAzilPhoto
246 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 30, 2010 10:09 |  #1

hi guys ive lined up a nice model for my first glamour shoot however im unsure what equipment to use.

im going to do an outside shoot and the equipment i have consists of a canon 1000d, 50mm 1.8, kit lens and 430ex ii.

i know i have very limited equipment but it has served me well shooting bands and concerts however im unsure what lenses to use, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,765 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Jun 30, 2010 12:11 |  #2

A longer lens works better for beauty and glamour photography if you hae the space to use it. The longer lens helps to compress perspective and isolate the model from a busy background. I'd suggest the 85 f/1.8 as a nicely budgeted lens for this type of shoot. If you'd prefer a zoom, any of the 70-200 L's would work well too.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

DavidAzilPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 30, 2010 12:19 |  #3

thanks for the reply, the only problem is i only have acess to the 50mm 1.8 and the 17-55 3.5-5.6 lens. which out of the two if any would you reccomend on using? thanks again

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,765 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Jun 30, 2010 12:22 |  #4

I'd use the 50mm prime - but try both. Don't artificially limit yourself to one lens.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

DavidAzilPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 30, 2010 12:27 |  #5

ok thanks mark, i appreciate the advice

chadgeek
108 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 30, 2010 14:06 as a reply to  @ DavidAzilPhoto's post |  #6

Also for outdoor shoots, keep the model out of direct mid-day sunlight. You can shoot in a covered area but will need some fill light to balance any backlighting you might have, otherwise if you expose the model correctly, the background will be blown out. You can use a reflector or your flash, and the flash will add a nice sparkle to the model's eyes.

Otherwise, early morning, or dusk would be a great time to shoot. Outdoors you have to keep an eye out for distracting backgrounds, trees growing out of one's head, etc.

Have a great time!

You don't really care what I own, do you?

bluecheese
29 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 19, 2010 15:17 |  #7

I started another thread on this and looking for anyone with an answer, is it impossible to get a professional glamour shot in direct sun? What if there is no shade option, what then?

"I have no professional training"
- William Hung

Tlee05
"Suck these toes"
1,134 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 19, 2010 16:01 |  #8

Use a fill flash or reflector if you don't have these use shade.
Shooting in direct sunlight can lead to images that have high contrast, blown out highlights, lens flare and colors that might even look overly saturated.You also might get the ’squint factor’.

Find a tunnel/bridge and shoot the model under the edge of it. This can achive a nice effect midday as the sunlight in not directly on the model. I hope this makes sense.

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer."
"Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet"

bluecheese
29 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 19, 2010 16:35 |  #9

Yep the tunnel thing makes good sense.

I know the rule of shooting in shade but getting your background to be in the sun. All together I just wonder for weddings especially, or outdoor shoots with models how it is done in the sun. I've seen some people shoot on building tops in direct sun without any overhead shade, and I don't understand how it works.

- William Hung

DavidAzilPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 19, 2010 20:03 |  #10

ive seen some assistants holding objects over the models heads out of frame to block the direct sunlight, then fill flash to light the image.

bluecheese
29 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 19, 2010 20:08 |  #11

I see. What is a good size reflector or diffuser to start with for over the head, close up head shot maybe even with shoulders?

- William Hung

DavidAzilPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 21, 2010 15:42 |  #12

to be honest ive never tried it, but ive seen the technique being used on a dvd called motivational light. pretty good dvd for glamour photography, the photog is a bit weird tho

Hedley
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 26, 2010 14:56 |  #13

My thoughts are, that as soon as you can get that flash off the camera and start playing with that, then you'll have potential for so much more.

josh5k
359 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 31, 2010 21:10 |  #14

A portable light stand with boom holding a large diffuser is pretty useful in these situation. There are plenty of affordable ones up on thebay. Of course you have to sandbag it, or just do the same effect with your camerabag and or anything heavy you can find. I primarily use a 43" foldable diffuser.

CameraLogy.Com (external link) MMayhem (external link) Twitter (external link) GEARG+ (external link)
My Facebook Page (external link)!!

3,447 views & 0 likes for this thread
1st time glamour shoot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.