Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 27 Jul 2010 (Tuesday) 07:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

iMacs have been updated! Lets discuss

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 27, 2010 07:16 |  #1

New Imac and new screens we hope!!!!!

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

sponsored links
mchong75
Goldmember
2,927 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 27, 2010 07:50 |  #2

Apple store isn't down.

Between, the new iMac's been out for few months already.

(Michael) Gears:
5D MK III / Grip (2) | Canon 24-70L II | Canon 17-40L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II | 600EX-RT (2) | ST-E3-RT | PCB Einstein (2) | Pocket Wizard Plus III (4) | PCB 47" Octobox | Vagabond Mini | Kacey Beauty dish | Lee ND, GND & Big Stopper | Lastolite 24" x 24" | Gitzo 3541LS tripod | Markins Q20 w/ RRS B2 LR II | Sigma 35 Art | 85L II

Electric ­ Shepherd
997 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 27, 2010 08:14 as a reply to  @ mchong75's post |  #3

Is the Magic Trackpad new? I don't recall seeing that before.

My Gear

My flickr (external link)

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 27, 2010 09:25 |  #4

new imacs, trackpad, screens, Power macs etc!! Im getting the 21,5 a bit dissapoindted that the 21 does not have an i7 and option for 1gb graphic.

my wife would kill me if i got a 27 for the home office.... to big and ugly!!

Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 27, 2010 09:29 as a reply to  @ zincozinco's post |  #5

Looks new :d

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 27, 2010 11:32 |  #6

IMO, the new iMac's are more sensible then the new MacPro's... Pity.

Still waiting for a "Mac Midi" :p

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Trout ­ Bum
699 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 27, 2010 12:02 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #7

I have to replace my PPC MP. I had hoped to be able to avoid a glossy screen, but my amateur budget doesn't justify a new MacPro.

I work with +200MB psd files, and will be working with HD clips from my 5DII--

Would I notice a performance difference with the i7 iMac over the i5 (both with ATI 5750)?

Thanks!

Mark
photography website (external link)
fine art website (external link)
youtube channel (external link)
Instagram: @MarkMilleArt

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 27, 2010 12:37 |  #8

its all a bit wank to be honest.

the low spec 21 cant be upgraded to i5 and the high spec 21 cant be upgraded to i7....

so an mid spec 21 i5 is the same price as the "old " 27 i7..... which is probably what Im getting after having spoken to my better half... I was holding out for a 21 i7 - but that wont happen for another year.... if ever....

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 27, 2010 12:45 |  #9

Trout Bum wrote in post #10611982 (external link)
I have to replace my PPC MP. I had hoped to be able to avoid a glossy screen, but my amateur budget doesn't justify a new MacPro.

If you have some computer skills you could always build a hackintosh.

I work with +200MB psd files, and will be working with HD clips from my 5DII-- Would I notice a performance difference with the i7 iMac over the i5 (both with ATI 5750)?

That depends on your software. Aperture uses hyperthreading which would give you 8 virtual cores on the i7. Photoshop doesn't for most of its functions, thus the differences between an i5 and i7 would be minimal at the same clock speed.

René Damkot wrote in post #10611760 (external link)
IMO, the new iMac's are more sensible then the new MacPro's... Pity. Still waiting for a "Mac Midi"

They're called "hackintoshes". :)

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

EmmaRose
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 27, 2010 12:56 |  #10

Can anyone explain to me why the magic trackpad is useful? If it like a wacom equivalent?

Gear. Flickr. (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 27, 2010 13:01 |  #11

It's just a multi-touch trackpad, like what's found on Apple's laptops (e.g., gestures, etc.). I doubt it's an equivalent to a Wacom and it's unlikely to be pressure sensitive.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Trout ­ Bum
699 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 27, 2010 13:18 |  #12

Tony-S wrote in post #10612219 (external link)
If you have some computer skills you could always build a hackintosh.

That depends on your software. Aperture uses hyperthreading which would give you 8 virtual cores on the i7. Photoshop doesn't for most of its functions, thus the differences between an i5 and i7 would be minimal at the same clock speed.

Not building my own computer-- forgot I must always mention that on this forum...
I also use LR.

Thanks.

Mark
photography website (external link)
fine art website (external link)
youtube channel (external link)
Instagram: @MarkMilleArt

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 27, 2010 14:18 |  #13

Trout Bum wrote in post #10612433 (external link)
Not building my own computer-- forgot I must always mention that on this forum...
I also use LR.

Thanks.

I was thinking to do it a while back but there is a lot of bugs on native programs im told such as FCP and Aperture. In anycase - I could never build an imac.... :)

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 27, 2010 16:00 |  #14

Updated iMacs were announced this morning and they look promising as always. 21.5" get various flavors of the i3 and an option for an i5. 27" models can be ordered with an i3, quad-core i5, or the quad-core i7. 27" models can also be fitted with a 1 or 2 TB HDD and a 250 GB SSD.

http://www.apple.com/i​mac/ (external link)
http://store.apple.com …mily/imac?mco=M​TAyNTQzNjA (external link)

I've been in the market for an iMac and had to wait for financial reasons. I'm almost ready to purchase ;)

I have a couple of questions:

-What benefits do quad-cores bring?
-Why would you need a HDD and a SSD in the same machine? Which drive would serve which purpose and what benefits are there to this configuration?

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 27, 2010 16:45 as a reply to  @ Staszek's post |  #15

The only meaningful improvement to me is the ability to get the SSD as a second internal drive. I'd use the SSD as my boot drive as it would be a lot faster. The quad cores will allow you do to things faster, but the i7 has hyperthreading. Applications that can use it will have better performance (about 30% according to Intel). Right now there are not too many apps out there that can do hyperthreading, but Aperture is one.

sponsored links

7,646 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.