Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Jul 2010 (Tuesday) 16:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ansel Adams in the Garage

Tedder
380 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 27, 2010 16:39 |  #1

"Experts: Ansel Adams photos found at garage sale worth $200 million"

Los Angeles, California (CNN) -- Rick Norsigian's hobby of picking through piles of unwanted items at garage sales in search of antiques has paid off for the Fresno, California, painter.

Two small boxes he bought 10 years ago for $45 -- negotiated down from $70 -- are now estimated to be worth at least $200 million, according to a Beverly Hills art appraiser.

http://www.cnn.com …adams.discovery​/?hpt=Sbin (external link)

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

sponsored links
ballymenalass
27 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 27, 2010 16:47 |  #2

wow. so jealous!

emmalish
353 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 27, 2010 16:52 |  #3

Wow. That's the sort of thing I'd want to buy at a garage sale (not knowing the true value), but would probably talk myself out of due to lack of space.

50D
24-85 | MP-E 65 | 60 Macro | 100 Macro | 70-200L f/4 IS | Tamron 90 Macro
420EX | 580EX | MT-24EX

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 27, 2010 16:54 as a reply to  @ emmalish's post |  #4

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=908539

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=908348

Mike-DT6
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 28, 2010 03:15 |  #5

Let's see if we can beat the recent thread total for the wedding-photographer-falling-into-the-water subject.

Gear list

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 28, 2010 06:24 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Tedder wrote in post #10613613 (external link)
"Experts: Ansel Adams photos found at garage sale worth $200 million"

Los Angeles, California (CNN) -- Rick Norsigian's hobby of picking through piles of unwanted items at garage sales in search of antiques has paid off for the Fresno, California, painter.

Two small boxes he bought 10 years ago for $45 -- negotiated down from $70 -- are now estimated to be worth at least $200 million, according to a Beverly Hills art appraiser.

http://www.cnn.com …adams.discovery​/?hpt=Sbin (external link)

Oh my, I better now search my junk:o

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,786 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 05, 2010 18:55 |  #7

http://www.petapixel.c​om …ystery-apparently-solved/ (external link)

Uncle Earl made the shots.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 05, 2010 19:11 |  #8

Easy come, easy go... ;)

If you really want a laugh (or just want to roll your eyes a few times), read the comments posted below that article.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

djentley
386 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 16, 2010 09:45 |  #9

If the guy was able to take pictures that are mistaken for work by Adams, why should he not be recognised as a great photographer also. This is what has always troubled me with "art", often the name in the very bottom corner decides how the work is recieved far more than the effort and skill put into the work.

Credit where credit is due, Ansel is the best lanscape photographer I have ever seen, but like all great artists legend often overtakes remembering their true talent and at the helm often sits some greedy people with pockets to fill with earnings from the artist's estate.

My 500px. (external link) I like action (external link) and volcanoes. (external link) Dragons (external link) and temples (external link) are fine, too!
I don't think the Earth revolves around me. It revolves around the Sun, which shines out of my ass.

Jimbers
333 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 16, 2010 10:01 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

djentley wrote in post #11293974 (external link)
If the guy was able to take pictures that are mistaken for work by Adams, why should he not be recognised as a great photographer also. This is what has always troubled me with "art", often the name in the very bottom corner decides how the work is recieved far more than the effort and skill put into the work.

Credit where credit is due, Ansel is the best lanscape photographer I have ever seen, but like all great artists legend often overtakes remembering their true talent and at the helm often sits some greedy people with pockets to fill with earnings from the artist's estate.

i would think it only makes uncle earle a photographer, not a great photographer. much more to being considered "great" than simply being able to take a decent picture. effort and skill are not usually the defining criteria for greatness. they are, however, a good place to start....

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 16, 2010 11:40 |  #11

Adams pictures included his skill with light, composition, exposure, depth of focus, processing, and last but far from least, printing. Much of Adams' artistry happened when the print was being exposed. An Ansel Adams negative is only part of the equation. Even if these are actual Adams negatives (which I doubt), they would not be Adams prints taken from them, and hence, not worth nearly as much.

Tom

Gomar
531 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 18, 2010 18:55 |  #12

What if these photos had indeed been sold for $200m? And then, say 2 or even 20 years later, discovered to be made by uncle Earl. Ok, do the buyers get their mulah back? What if seller is dead, do buyers sue estate, the kids, mistress, etc. to get original price + interest for 20 years back?

sponsored links

2,504 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ansel Adams in the Garage
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.