Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 27 Jul 2010 (Tuesday) 07:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

iMacs have been updated! Lets discuss

levitening
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 27, 2010 16:56 as a reply to  @ post 10613646 |  #16

Definitely jump for the i5 or i7. The i3, while nonetheless good, is no that much of an improvement over the old Core 2 Duos. The i5 and i7, though, are amazing!

50D/17-55mm f2.8 IS/70-200mm f2.8L/10-20mm f4-5.6/50mm f1.8/580EX/

sponsored links
iSax1234
192 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 27, 2010 16:59 as a reply to  @ post 10613377 |  #17

SSD's are blazing fast, compared to HDD. A lot of people boot off of the SSD, so all of you're programs including you're OS are on the SSD, therefore you are improving performance of you're system as a whole. SSD's are expensive and it's more economical to use low capacity SSD's so you don't have room for you're data, therefore you have an HDD for main storage.

A quad core basically gives you twice the processing power, depending on what you're doing you may or may not need that power.

5d gripped - 85mm f/1.8 - Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 - 430EX - Yongnuo 560
Flickr (external link) - My Site (external link)
Andrew

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 27, 2010 17:08 as a reply to  @ post 10613377 |  #18

Performance wise, there isn't much of a bump, but it looks better on paper :)

With each core there is the 'potential' for more work to be done. Imagine people are standing in line at the movie concession-stand (the CPU) - the people represent your software while the register(s) represent the cores. The more registers (cores) you have open the more people (software) can be served and sent on their way. Some computers (Mac Pro) have two concession-stands, each with multiple registers. That's how the Core2Quad and Core2Duo's work. The i series (i3/i7) processors add one more level to this and open 'virtual' cores. In this analogy, you could think of them as those self serve registers. Some software can see all the cores (registers) while others cannot. However, even though some software cannot see every register, the operating system can redirect software (people) to other registers (cores) while the software that cannot see the added cores only use the first one or two registers. So, more often than not, multiple core CPU's can out perform much faster dual core CPUs. Faster dual core's however shine when people are not running several programs at the same time (also called multitasking). That's why games and office productivity software runs equally fast on dual or quad cpus while audio, photo, video and 3d software do much better on quad/dual-quad systems. Hope that makes scenes.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,905 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 27, 2010 17:16 |  #19

MaxxuM wrote in post #10613765 (external link)
The i series processors add one more level to this and open 'virtual' cores.

The i3s and i7 have hyperthreading, but not the i5.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 27, 2010 17:25 |  #20

Tony-S wrote in post #10613799 (external link)

Pulled this from the tech specs on Apple's site:

21.5-inch models, one of the following:

3.06GHz Intel Core i3 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading

3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost

3.6GHz Intel Core i5 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost

27-inch models, one of the following:

3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost

3.6GHz Intel Core i5 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost

2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 processor with 8MB level 3 cache; supports Turbo Boost

2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 processor with 8MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost

The only processor that doesn't have hyperthreading is the quad-core i5. The non quad-core i5 does have hyperthreading. What is Turbo Boost?

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 27, 2010 17:26 |  #21

Tony-S wrote in post #10613799 (external link)

Oops, I knew I would miss a detail or two :)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,905 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 27, 2010 17:31 as a reply to  @ post 10613377 |  #22

The quad core i5 is made with the same die as the i7, just with hyperthreading disabled.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 27, 2010 17:34 as a reply to  @ post 10613377 |  #23

Thanks for the input so far everyone. I'm going to be buying one of these soon, so I'd like to make a wise choice ;)

I think I'll pass on the SSD. Maybe in the future I can add one if I decide I need it, but for now I don't have the $700+ to spend on that option.

My biggest issue right now is that I am building a desk which this computer will sit on. The desk is in a hole in the wall (used to be a bar) and is 4 feet wide. I'm afraid the 27" (25" in width) is too wide for the desk that's almost finished :confused:

If I decide on the 27", I will spend the extra money for the i7. Otherwise I guess the i5 in the 21.5" model will have to suffice. I can always buy the 27" and return it if its too big though :D

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,905 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 27, 2010 17:34 |  #24

Staszek wrote in post #10613851 (external link)
The only processor that doesn't have hyperthreading is the quad-core i5. The non quad-core i5 does have hyperthreading.

Right, dual core i5 has hyperthreading but not the quad core.

What is Turbo Boost?

Increase of cpu clock speed on-demand.

Staszek wrote in post #10613911 (external link)
My biggest issue right now is that I am building a desk which this computer will sit on. The desk is in a hole in the wall (used to be a bar) and is 4 feet wide. I'm afraid the 27" (25" in width) is too wide for the desk that's almost finished

My desk is 4 ft wide by 2 ft deep and the 27" iMac fits quite nicely. Even the keyboard tucks away.

If I decide on the 27", I will spend the extra money for the i7. Otherwise I guess the i5 in the 21.5" model will have to suffice. I can always buy the 27" and return it if its too big though

That's what I have, and that's what you should do if you can afford it.

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 27, 2010 17:53 |  #25

Trout Bum wrote in post #10612433 (external link)
Not building my own computer-- forgot I must always mention that on this forum...
I also use LR.

Thanks.

If you're heavy into multitasking, video, scientific or audio (Logic) then the i7 for sure. Otherwise, the i5 has enough power for most people. However, for $180 I would seriously consider just getting the i7.

EmmaRose
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 27, 2010 17:59 |  #26

Tony-S wrote in post #10612313 (external link)
It's just a multi-touch trackpad, like what's found on Apple's laptops (e.g., gestures, etc.). I doubt it's an equivalent to a Wacom and it's unlikely to be pressure sensitive.

I know what it IS, I'm asking what it's useful for.

Gear. Flickr. (external link)

EmmaRose
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 27, 2010 18:00 as a reply to  @ post 10613377 |  #27

I want to know where they found the room to put in an SSD. I don't understand what they're leaving out or what shrunk for it to fit

Gear. Flickr. (external link)

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 27, 2010 18:07 as a reply to  @ post 10613377 |  #28

Am I the only one having screen issues with the new iMacs?

Three different units back when they first came out...all had nasty yellow screens. I just barely tried again....No yellow but there is a weird gray bar across the bottom of the screen. I really want one of these but I just cant believe my bad luck with the screens.

I just ordered the updated i7. Hopefully I get a screen I can live with.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,905 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 27, 2010 18:08 |  #29

Same thing as any multi-touch trackpad with gestures, but not useful like a Wacom.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,905 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 27, 2010 18:09 as a reply to  @ post 10613377 |  #30

My 27" is beautiful. No screen issues with it.

sponsored links

7,779 views & 0 likes for this thread
iMacs have been updated! Lets discuss
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.