Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 27 Jul 2010 (Tuesday) 07:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

iMacs have been updated! Lets discuss

joe9047
375 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 28, 2010 06:55 |  #46

PhotosByT wrote in post #10617220 (external link)
So I googled this and apparently, apple's official rule is the 14day return with 10% restocking. However, some people were given the opportunity to upgrade within 30 days, no restocking free.. Store manager discretion, so I guess I have to talk to the manager if they give me a hard time!!

Good luck. I finally talked my Mother-In-Law into trading in her Dell and bought her an Imac on Sunday. I have looked over the upgrade and decided that for what she uses the computer for she will never notice the difference.

Joe
Gear

sponsored links
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 28, 2010 08:41 |  #47

PhotosByT wrote in post #10617220 (external link)
So I googled this and apparently, apple's official rule is the 14day return with 10% restocking. However, some people were given the opportunity to upgrade within 30 days, no restocking free.. Store manager discretion, so I guess I have to talk to the manager if they give me a hard time!!

Return and exchange are two different things.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 28, 2010 08:46 |  #48
bannedPermanent ban

wow, they really know how to rip people off

weak video card, no blu-ray, no usb3

Gear List

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 28, 2010 08:48 |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

lannes wrote in post #10615840 (external link)
Just return it, they really should have told you in store, that there was a new model coming.

they won't, that is the point, trying to get rid of one overpriced machine before the second one appears.

Gear List

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 28, 2010 09:03 |  #50

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #10617753 (external link)
they won't, that is the point, trying to get rid of one overpriced machine before the second one appears.

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #10617741 (external link)
wow, they really know how to rip people off. weak video card, no blu-ray, no usb3

This was such a nice thread until you came in with your uninformed statements. Hopefully Moppie or another moderator will delete them so you will be saved the embarrassment of being disproved. Otherwise you have just started the end of this thread because it will end up getting locked.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 28, 2010 10:08 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

Tony-S wrote in post #10617827 (external link)
This was such a nice thread until you came in with your uninformed statements. Hopefully Moppie or another moderator will delete them so you will be saved the embarrassment of being disproved. Otherwise you have just started the end of this thread because it will end up getting locked.

sure, uninformed.

do they have bluray? no
do they have usb3? no
is 5770 considered weak? well depends by who, when compared to 480, 5870, 5970 etc.. then yes.

and about the

comment, that is the typical business practice.

Gear List

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 28, 2010 10:18 |  #52

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #10618226 (external link)
sure, uninformed.

Your assertion that iMacs are overpriced is fallacious. I challenge you to build a PC with the same specifications of the 27" Core i7 iMac, which are:

2.93 ghz Core i7 processor
27" H-IPS display
4 gb RAM
ATI 5750 gpu with 1 GB vRAM
1 TB hard drive
DVD burner
Gigabit ethernet
802.11n wifi
Bluetooth
Keyboard
Magic Mouse
Digital audio output
Digital audio input
Analog audio output
Analog audio input
1024x728 video camera at 30 fps
Stereo speakers
IR receiver
Aluminum case
Power supply
64 bit operating system (with Snow Leopard's features)

I've priced them and they are more expensive than the iMac.

dolina
Goldmember
4,880 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 28, 2010 10:21 |  #53

Chances are someone will present a cheaper PC with less gear and justify this by saying they do not need a a WiFi or a Webcam or an iLife.

Tony-S wrote in post #10618281 (external link)
Your assertion that iMacs are overprices is fallacious. I challenge you to build a PC with the same specifications of the 27" Core i7 iMac, which are:

2.8 ghz Core i7 "Lynnfield" processor
27" H-IPS display
4 gb RAM
ATI 5750 gpu with 512 mb vRAM
1 TB hard drive
DVD burner
Gigabit ethernet
802.11n wifi
Bluetooth
Keyboard
Magic Mouse
Digital audio output
Digital audio input
Analog audio output
Analog audio input
1024x728 video camera at 30 fps
Aluminum case
Power supply
64 bit operating system

I've priced them and they are more expensive than the iMac.

Visit my Flickr (external link), Facebook (external link) & 500px (external link) and see my photos. :)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 28, 2010 10:34 |  #54

dolina wrote in post #10618303 (external link)
Chances are someone will present a cheaper PC with less gear and justify this by saying they do not need a a WiFi or a Webcam or an iLife.

Yeah, and I don't have a problem with that. Macs are expensive, but they are no more expensive than Win PCs with the same features. That means they're not overpriced but instead that they are priced right at the market's value. Apple has chosen not to play in the low end market because there's not much profit in it. That's Dell's domain - and why Dell's financial woes continue.

iSax1234
192 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 28, 2010 10:49 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #55

Number one store managers and employees don't know when updates are. They get boxes that say don't open until a certain date, they may know like 1-3 days ahead just so they can train the geniuses on any different repairs. They can't tell you, if they got caught doing that they'd surely be fired. Apple never releases when the next update is they just update, (except with the new displays and mac pro). That way they keep there sales strong.

Price: There is an Apple Tax! But honestly you get every bit of your money's worth, now I'm not trying to start a Mac Vs. PC debate. I've used Windows 7 and its covered leaps and bounds that Vista just couldn't do. I feel so much more comfortable on Mac OSX. Expose and Spaces makes work so much faster and easier. Also Macs are built strong, no cheap plastics or flimsy materials. Metal and glass and they look darn good as well. Its really preference, but price wise they're not terribly over priced, especially when you looks into the R&D required to make there products.

5d gripped - 85mm f/1.8 - Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 - 430EX - Yongnuo 560
Flickr (external link) - My Site (external link)
Andrew

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 28, 2010 10:54 |  #56

Let's NOT turn this into another Mac vs. PC thread, shall we?
Back on topic please...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

PhotosByT
222 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 28, 2010 13:12 |  #57

joe9047 wrote in post #10617274 (external link)
Good luck. I finally talked my Mother-In-Law into trading in her Dell and bought her an Imac on Sunday. I have looked over the upgrade and decided that for what she uses the computer for she will never notice the difference.

OK! Success!! :) My husband brought back the 3 day old (old) iMac that we bought last Saturday, and they didn't even opened it (my husband wished he took the keyboard and mouse) heheh.. Then they handed him the new one...

So, I actually had 2 new imacs in 4 days!

I've been using a Sony laptop, and my other iMac is 4 YEARS old, so this one is awesome for sure! For photo editing alone, I don't think I'll see the difference in a dedicated graphics card.. but I still want the newest one, of course! :)

T

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 28, 2010 13:16 |  #58

PhotosByT wrote in post #10619394 (external link)
For photo editing alone, I don't think I'll see the difference in a dedicated graphics card.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 29, 2010 02:11 |  #59

but basically is the i5 option on the 21,5 a waste as it does not do hyperthreading? as we have merged 2 threads its a bit hard to keep up....

Edit: would i see a difference in photo editing between the 2: using mainly aperture and a bit of retouch in photoshop

3.60GHz Intel Core i5
2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 29, 2010 03:40 |  #60

zincozinco wrote in post #10623172 (external link)
but basically is the i5 option on the 21,5 a waste as it does not do hyperthreading? as we have merged 2 threads its a bit hard to keep up....

Edit: would i see a difference in photo editing between the 2: using mainly aperture and a bit of retouch in photoshop

3.60GHz Intel Core i5
2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

The 21.5" i5 does support hyperthreading. The quad core i5 on the 27" does not do hyperthreading.

Staszek wrote in post #10613851 (external link)
Pulled this from the tech specs on Apple's site:

21.5-inch models, one of the following:

3.06GHz Intel Core i3 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading

3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost

3.6GHz Intel Core i5 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost

27-inch models, one of the following:

3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost

3.6GHz Intel Core i5 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost

2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 processor with 8MB level 3 cache; supports Turbo Boost

2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 processor with 8MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost

The only processor that doesn't have hyperthreading is the quad-core i5. The non quad-core i5 does have hyperthreading.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

sponsored links

7,752 views & 0 likes for this thread
iMacs have been updated! Lets discuss
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.