Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Jul 2010 (Tuesday) 10:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using AI Servo on 85LII

joonrhee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,852 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 28, 2010 10:23 |  #16

Gatorboy wrote in post #10617094 (external link)
First off AI Focus is horrible, so don't even consider using that mode.

Most sports shooters use AI-Servo and have the focus moved to the back button (*) rather than the shutter. This way, they can mash down on the * button with their thumb and track the subject without having to worry about making sure your shutter is depressed half-way down.

The key to AI-Servo is keeping your subject within your frame. Practice, practice, practice.

However, you have two things going against you.
A) 5DM2 - The 5D is not a camera an action photographer will use. It is not the best for tracking quick movement
B) 85 f/1.2L - It's a slow focusing lens

I shoot sports (indoor badminton) quite often in AI Servo mode, but never really knew about using * button. Would it be possible to elaborate a little more about how to use the * button for better shooting? Also, using * button technique would be applicable for 85L as well? given that it's a slow moving subject...

jacobsen1 wrote in post #10617484 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

yep, the keg sucks at AIservo... ;)

it all comes down to technique, contrast, lighting and distances. The closer you are the harder it will be. It works alright, but it's no where near as fast as the 1.8. That's the PITA with it. The 1.2 has the insane IQ, but it's got much worse CA and much slower AF for a much more expensive lens that's crazy heavy.... A lot of people go with the ~$400 1.8 version instead and rightly so. Personally, I went with the 1.2 because of it's speed, but only because I want lower ISOs inside with the 7D. 1.5 stops is a pretty big difference.

Hey, that picture was taken using 85L? That's nice! So, you used AI Focus not AI Servo? And I completely agree with you about the comparison between 1.2 and 1.8. I used to own and really enjoyed shooting indoor sports with 85 1.8, but sold it for 1.2 assuming my 135L could resume my 1.8 duties... But, I just want some kind of decent results from 85 1.2 at the same time because I can't always stay at 135mm FL.

a7RII • RX1RII • CV12 • B18 • L21 • B25 • B85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

sponsored links
Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 28, 2010 10:29 |  #17

newworld666 wrote in post #10617943 (external link)
:rolleyes: Ai focus is like perfect for me ... much better then AI servo on 5D MKII...

There is a reason why the pro camera's do not have AI Focus. It does not work as advertised.

Dave Hoffmann

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 28, 2010 10:53 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

I try to stay away using my 85L in Servo. I go with one shot only. The other thing I had to get used to is: focusing-recompose will give me out of focus shots all the time. That's probably due to f/1.2 as well, giving a shallow dof. For the AF, I always stick with single point. The keepers I get, are really the keepers!!! They give a photo this "WOW" effect that no other lens can do!

Gear | My gear is changing faster than I can update the signature
VoyageEyewear (external link)

joonrhee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,852 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 28, 2010 11:15 |  #19

Guys, I absolutely understand this 85L is not useful for moving subjects nor intended for indoor sports. However, I really want to extend the coverage of this lens, at least my slowly moving dogs... I get blurred shots even when they're tilting heads...

SmugMug (external link)

newworld666
Goldmember
2,306 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 28, 2010 11:31 |  #20

fashioneyes wrote in post #10618131 (external link)
newworld666 :

This is isn't a dig ... but I wonder how many times I've seen those Maclaren F1 shots pop up in the questions relating to lenses !

Don't get me wrong that are great and were a contributory factor tome purchasing the 300mm f2.8 L !

:o ... this discussion started in a another thread, and was more or less concerned between AI focus and AI servo mode with 5D MKII which seemed for most people to be a non sense to be used for sports :confused: ..

I use it without any major difficulties. and 85L1.2II also (of course not for F1:lol:) .. for me -> fullframe is a must even if AF can be more tricky. I almost never use my 50D as I never could get a real difference.
So 5DMKII+85L1.2II+AI Focus can be used for action or sport ..

Marc
5DMKII+1Dx 24L1.4II 85L1.2II 180L3.5 300F2.8nonIS TC2XII ..... Sigma14F2.8AFDG, Zuiko 500F/8 Reflex
http://myc-photos.eu (external link)

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 28, 2010 11:33 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

You need to set the focus, and wait for them not to move, then reset the focus again (press focus button half-way). If they tilt their head for 1 inch, you'll get OOF shots. If they don't, then after focusing press shutter right away. This is not rocket science, just takes a lot of patience & practice to master the art of 85L :lol:

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 28, 2010 11:34 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

Another option, decrease the aperture, as you learn all the tricks. Also, u need to use fast shutter speeds. 1/160 and faster would do.

joonrhee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,852 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 28, 2010 11:53 |  #23

aboss3 wrote in post #10618787 (external link)
You need to set the focus, and wait for them not to move, then reset the focus again (press focus button half-way). If they tilt their head for 1 inch, you'll get OOF shots. If they don't, then after focusing press shutter right away. This is not rocket science, just takes a lot of patience & practice to master the art of 85L :lol:

in One Shot mode or Focus/Servo mode?

SmugMug (external link)

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 28, 2010 12:14 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

In 1 shot. In servo, you need to keep your finger on AF all the time anyway for tracking.
I'm shooting my parrot a lot with it, and was able to get sharp photos at f/1.2 out of the box. Spot on. Right on the eyes. And the bird moves a lot...he's never at one spot for longer than a second.

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 28, 2010 12:17 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

Straight out of the camera: 5D2/85L2 - ISO 200, f/1.2, 1/800

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 28, 2010 12:18 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

I used to do lots of mistakes while trying to recompose with one shot. Not gonna cut it @f/1.2, so I gave up :)

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jul 28, 2010 13:05 as a reply to  @ aboss3's post |  #27

I shot some BIF with my 85f1.2 and it had no problem tracking them.

Gear List

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 28, 2010 13:08 as a reply to  @ aboss3's post |  #28

joonrhee wrote in post #10618322 (external link)
I shoot sports (indoor badminton) quite often in AI Servo mode, but never really knew about using * button. Would it be possible to elaborate a little more about how to use the * button for better shooting? Also, using * button technique would be applicable for 85L as well? given that it's a slow moving subject...

using the CFs you move the focus from the shutter to the rear button. Exposure lock then uses the shutter instead. This lets YOU decide when the camera should focus or not, once it's in focus you just let go and it STAYS THERE... It can't accidentally shift focus on you. The other great part about this, is if you're in a crucial situation where you NEED a shot and it might not be in focus, with the shutter and AF tied together, it won't shoot unless it's in focus. Could be off by 1%, 10% or 100%, it won't shoot. Using the rear button you just fire away and you'll get the shot, maybe in focus maybe not.

Hey, that picture was taken using 85L? That's nice! So, you used AI Focus not AI Servo?

no, AIservo. I've never used AFfocus before.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,929 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 28, 2010 13:15 |  #29

If you are going to use AI Servo (which I would also recommend) I highly advise you to also separate the AF button from the shutter ( What Ben is talking about )

This is set via custom function to make you use the AF ON button only to focus.

As mentioned, forget AI Focus, pretend it does not exist. All it does is take yet another decision out of your hands, and give it to the camera, decisions it is not often inclined to make correctly. The goa os for you to be able to control the camera,. not vice versa.

AI Servo linked to the shutter button is a bad idea, as you can't tell the Camera to stop altering focus,.
AI Servo with the [AF ON] button, once mastered gives the photographer the best control of how and when the camera is focusing, when it's not, and allows you to lock exposure on one area and focus on another faster than any other method will allow.

Master this trick (it may take months) and you will thank yourself for years to come.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 28, 2010 13:24 |  #30

I use the 85L II f 1.2 on my MKIII using the outer focus point placed on the subjects closest eye while in AL Servo, this is my standard portrait method on this camera, it however worked pooh this way on my Assic 5D.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

sponsored links

5,452 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using AI Servo on 85LII
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.