Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Jul 2010 (Wednesday) 15:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Purple fringing with my 135L - need help

hawking_0103
THREAD ­ STARTER
215 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 28, 2010 18:29 |  #16

fnothaft wrote in post #10620955 (external link)
It happens! I think the general problem is that it's somewhat difficult to make a super-fast prime that doesn't have CA, especially at hard transitions.

But 135L is still not a super fast lens.. I'm waiting to see some photos shot wide open using this lens.

Guys, if you can, PLEASE post the pictures of thin cables and see how bad the purple fringes are.

If this is a lemon, I need to get this fixins quick by sending it in tomorrow hopefully I can get it back before any important event which is coming up next month. Thanks again.

-Kenzie-
My Flickr (external link)
T2i, some lenses and a flash

sponsored links
fnothaft
575 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 28, 2010 23:29 |  #17

hawking_0103 wrote in post #10621065 (external link)
But 135L is still not a super fast lens.

:confused::confused:

For a lens of it's length, it is super fast.

Body: Canon EOS 5D Mark 2 • Lenses: Bower 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC, Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Lensbaby 2.0, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 135 f/2L USM • Lighting: Canon Speedlite 580EX II • Support: Dolica CX620B104
Gear listWebsite (external link)Flickr (external link)

KinoC
524 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 28, 2010 23:37 |  #18

Kenzie send it back to Canon and you will be very happy. I love my copy!

KC
1Dx |5D MII | 7D|16-35 MII|24-70 MII|70-200 MII

kja
Cream of the Crop
5,923 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 29, 2010 02:19 |  #19

mmahoney wrote in post #10620851 (external link)
That's poor IQ .. a well tuned 135 will show ZERO CA or purple fringing of any kind in any lighting, even strong backlighting or high contrast. I posted some CA free samples here some weeks ago taken in severe lighting.

Send it in for adjustment, it's worth the trouble.

Wow, I'm surprised and never thought to send it in for adjustment. I see the CA on mine, too ;(

Kristin

mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 29, 2010 04:15 |  #20

fnothaft wrote in post #10620955 (external link)
Just out of curiosity, can you link to the files?

I had this same "it's a fast lens so it will have CA" discussion a few weeks ago on this forum and did post a quick sample of a high contrast file and 100% crops of center and corners straight out-of-camera showing absolutely zero CA or purple fringing. Just search my posts and you should find it.

Worth repeating .. a well tuned 135L shows ZERO CA OR PF under any lighting conditions.

Newfoundland Wedding Photographer (external link)

Rsyx
619 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 29, 2010 04:41 |  #21

I just made a photo of a tree at f/2, with a metal doorframe in the foreground. The doorframe was OOF and it did show a purple tint in the OOF blur. The leaves in the tree also showed purple fringing.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Instead of telling everyone to just dig through all your posts, why don't you just post up your sample here mmahoney? :confused:

5D II + ZE 50 MP

mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 29, 2010 04:43 |  #22

hawking_0103 wrote in post #10621065 (external link)
Guys, if you can, PLEASE post the pictures of thin cables and see how bad the purple fringes are.

OK .. you owe me for 5 minutes shooting :lol:

These taken just now from my back deck, one of a series of 6 shots of telephone wires photos. Shot wide open at 2.0 with no post-processing of any kind and none has any CA or purple fringing of any kind.

To put this in perspective I shoot full time and the 135 is one of my three most used lenses .. probably sees over 30,000 frames a year. And not a freaking one of those frames shows any CA. Hope I've made my point.

Shots from this morning .. reduced size file and 100% crop.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Rsyx
619 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 29, 2010 04:46 |  #23

Thanks mmahoney, this is also helpful to me.

I do see some moderate CA around the branches of the tree, but it's really minimal. Was that shot at f/2?

5D II + ZE 50 MP

mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 29, 2010 04:57 |  #24

Rsyx wrote in post #10623486 (external link)
Thanks mmahoney, this is also helpful to me.

I do see some moderate CA around the branches of the tree, but it's really minimal. Was that shot at f/2?

Yes, 2.0 wide open with no post-processing. If you see "moderate' CA around the tree branches you need an eye exam.

Rsyx
619 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 29, 2010 05:06 |  #25

mmahoney wrote in post #10623508 (external link)
Yes, 2.0 wide open with no post-processing. If you see "moderate' CA around the tree branches you need an eye exam.

Wow.. Because it's not there or because it's more than moderate?

5D II + ZE 50 MP

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 29, 2010 05:53 |  #26

mmahoney wrote in post #10623508 (external link)

+1 I can't see any, I'm also struggling to get a heap of CA out of my 135mm lens and when I do get some it's been at 200% magnification.

normal image of a light

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i81.photobucket​.com …6/lannes2007/IM​G_2316.jpg (external link)

around 200% magnification, start to see CA.
PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i81.photobucket​.com …s2007/IMG_2316c​ropped.jpg (external link)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

Rsyx
619 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 29, 2010 05:58 |  #27

Look at the 100%, the branches on the left. I do see some CA there, though it's minimal. Maybe it's not me who needs the eye exam. ;)

5D II + ZE 50 MP

fnothaft
575 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 29, 2010 10:02 as a reply to  @ Rsyx's post |  #28

This is all kind of silly. We're talking about pixel peeping on bizarro test shots. We're taking photos of telephone wires against a blown out sky, shot wide open, and zooming in to 100-200%, or photos with OOF foreground and a lot of detail against a blown out sky, and trying to spot CA. Why doesn't the OP just send the lens in to be calibrated if they really feel that they absolutely need to shoot dark, OOF foregrounds against blown out backgrounds and they can't PP the CA out of the photo? I know that I'll probably send my 135L in shortly, along with my body and my other lenses, just so that focus is as well calibrated as possible on each, but unless you need to send the lens in, it doesn't seem completely practical for a minor issue.

Body: Canon EOS 5D Mark 2 • Lenses: Bower 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC, Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Lensbaby 2.0, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 135 f/2L USM • Lighting: Canon Speedlite 580EX II • Support: Dolica CX620B104
Gear listWebsite (external link)Flickr (external link)

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 29, 2010 11:57 |  #29

hawking_0103 i've never noticed CA on my 135,but i've recently lost infinity focus so i'll be heading to canon on tuesday to have it repaired, at least your lens will have some company.

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 29, 2010 12:06 |  #30

mmahoney, your wires seem better than the OP's since my guess is that the sky isn't as intense of a white. I do see touches of purple on the leaves but that's just being way too anal. Maybe try an extreme case of wires against bright clouds.

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

sponsored links

7,640 views & 0 likes for this thread
Purple fringing with my 135L - need help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.