Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 30 Nov 2009 (Monday) 02:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Business Practices for Photographers

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 10, 2010 10:31 |  #46

kona77 wrote in post #9580708 (external link)
LOL, no, Logan, but I will come down because I want an autographed copy of your new book when it comes out.

Give me a call and we'll try to make it happen. Although I might opt for a Manhattan instead ;). It will help pass the time while waiting for the flight arrival, and I'll use the time after to collect some Boston architecture shots.

Stephen
Commercial Photography (external link)

sponsored links
mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 10, 2010 11:51 |  #47

Got my copy today. This thing is nothing short of a TOME.

But great reading thus far..

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

dmp-potn
489 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 10, 2010 12:04 |  #48

Just added a sample to the queue on my kindle.

-- David

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 14, 2010 10:42 |  #49

Package from Amazon arrived yesterday - quite a volume of information I've got to say.

It's hard to know where to begin. I've actually just been leafing through it, noting those areas that apply to my own business and practice, where I'm hitting the mark and where I need to improve. At the Amazon price, the book certainly seems worth it's money so far.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 06, 2010 14:05 |  #50
bannedPermanent ban

Svetlana wrote in post #9426516 (external link)
Hi Karl, Does it cover Canadian side of pro photography at all? What do you like most about this book?

I think its mostly US cocentric but what I like is the magnitude of real information in it. Thats a bit vague but upon reading just one chapter of this book I found 10 different ways to do things, or step back and evaluate my goals from an objective point of view.

In the first few pages he talks about the essential task of looking at yourself-pardon...your BUSINESS*- objectively - where do you suck, where do you rule?

It covers practically everything to do with the small business management of a photographer in any special facet of the business.

Just finished reading it (it takes a while, this thing is like 500 pages of information to absorb) so I thought I would do a blog review up on it. Meanwhile I remembered that POTN had a thread on it too that would be worth bumping.

What I hate reading is ....go read this book. its great. Why is it great? What if i go and spend 40 $ on something I already know? I find there are few really good reviews of books, though this one seems to be really well known now and recommended so its not so bad. Anyway that was my reasoning for trying to do a review of it

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 06, 2010 20:50 |  #51

If this was the first business book I read, it would have been the only one. It will help you towards not overlooking fees to charge. Because of this book, I bought fotoBiz. which includes fotoQuote and have submitted my first Commercial shoot estimate and I'm confident that because of this book and fotoBiz my negotiating will be more confident and I'm not underselling myself, or overcharging.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

bdavisx
122 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 06, 2010 21:58 |  #52

Karl Johnston wrote in post #9106096 (external link)
Tell us more about it, you're not selling me yet. What is it about the book that you liked ? What kind of info should we expect?

Everytime I pick up a photo related book its filled with the same regurgitated drivel in glossier pages. Educate me! What kind of topics does this book cover in particular?

You want to know what's worth the price of this book alone? He talks about how he got audited, it was supposed to be a full audit (i.e. kinda like a body cavity search of your financials); but when the auditor saw how organized his records were (he talks about how to organize them yourself); they switched it to a spot audit (i.e. check a few records here and there, a pat-down).

This book helped me organize my book-keeping better than I would have ever thought possible.

Bill Davis, Photography by Howard's End - Central Illinois (Bloomington, Peoria) Wedding, Portrait, Boudoir and Senior Photographer (external link)

jmborkowski
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 29, 2010 11:54 |  #53

Lots of good stuff on his blog too...

http://photobusinessfo​rum.blogspot.com/ (external link)

Book link (external link)

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 29, 2010 19:53 |  #54

Want to also just say that I landed a five figure contract using advice from this book. Fantastic read for anyone looking to get into photography as a career.

Actually, it sucks don't read it. :lol:

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

roszell
947 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 01, 2010 07:57 |  #55

Picked up this book as I plan to start doing portraits (and events eventually) part-time.

Just looking through the chapter titles it seems like there is a wealth of knowledge here. Everything from negotiating, accounting, to how to balance your family life (and keep your wife happy) with having a successful business.

I am hoping this book will allow me to get started quicker Instead of spending countless hours scouring forums for answers to these questions. :D

Dustin -flickr (external link)
5D
35L 135L 580EX II

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 01, 2010 18:19 |  #56

RacingThoughts wrote in post #10828874 (external link)
I am hoping this book will allow me to get started quicker Instead of spending countless hours scouring forums for answers to these questions. :D

Don't waste your time on forums for business advice. I've found most of it counter to advise offered by those well entrenched into the industry, and with real world experience under their belt. Might as well go right to the source!

Here is a short list of books in my library that I've read, recommend, and are recommended by many within the industry. Read these and you'll be way head even if you spent 10 times the amount of time reading forums. Plus, its already organized, indexed, you can add notes to the pages and store it on your bookshelf for future reference :)

Advertising Photography: a straight forward guide to a complex industry
Lou Lesko
(highly recommended, also goes well with BlinkBid and Fotoquote software. Same author/company)

The Real Business of Photography
Richard Weisgrau
(highly recommended)

Licensing Photography
Richard Wesigrau and Victor S. Pearlman
(highly recommended)

How to Succeed in Commercial Photography
Selina Maitreya
(highly recommended)

John Harrington
(highly recommended)

Professional Business Practices in Photography
ASMP, seventh edition
(highly recommended)

Pricing Photography: The complete guide to Assignment and Stock Prices
Michael Heron and David MacTavish

Professional Photographers Survival Guide
Charles E. Rotkin
(older, but relevant with interviews from industry notables)

The Big Picture: Professional photographers guide to Rights, Rates, and Negotiation
Lou Jacobs Jr.
(highly recommended)

The Business of Commercial Photography
Ira Wexler
(older book, but worth a read)

Photographers Legal Guide
Carolyn E. Wright
(highly recommended)

Diary of a Small Business Owner
Anita F. Brattina
(perspective of a small business owners struggles)

LLC or Corporation?
Attorney Anthony Mancuso

Art-Directing Photography
Hugh Marshall
(older, but gives the AD's perspective)

(note for internet police: I have no affiliation with any of the authors, nor any financial interest. I am soley responseible for my spelling erros, typeos, and gramar misteaks. I can be opinionated but do so in good faith)

Stephen
Commercial Photography (external link)

sponsored links

10,073 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.