Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Jul 2010 (Wednesday) 15:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Purple fringing with my 135L - need help

Poe
Goldmember
1,956 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 29, 2010 12:15 |  #31

mmahoney wrote in post #10623427 (external link)
I had this same "it's a fast lens so it will have CA" discussion a few weeks ago on this forum and did post a quick sample of a high contrast file and 100% crops of center and corners straight out-of-camera showing absolutely zero CA or purple fringing. Just search my posts and you should find it.

Worth repeating .. a well tuned 135L shows ZERO CA OR PF under any lighting conditions.

Well, those posts must have been made longer than four weeks ago, because I've yet to find them when I search.

This is somewhat the first I've heard of the 135L having trouble with PF. Canon might be able to do some adjusting for you, but unless the lens is an apo-chromatic lens, there isn't a guarantee that the PF will be completely eliminated.

Nikon D750, D7200 | Nikon-Nikkor 14-24G, 60G Micro, 70-300E | SIGMA 35A, 105 OS, 24-105 OS | ZEISS Distagon 2.0/25 Classic, Apo-Distagon 1.4/55 Otus, Apo-Planar 1.4/85 Otus, Makro-Planar 2/100 Classic, Apo-Sonnar 2/135 Classic

sponsored links
[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 29, 2010 13:14 |  #32

yeah, I see some fringing in my 135L as well. It's not a deal breaker and your samples are rare.
(I can't think of why I'd shoot snapshot / walkaround type photos in f/2.0)

If it makes you feel better, you can send it in, but you'll most likely get the same result.

CA is most prominent when there's something very bright next to something very dark, which you showed in your examples. The 135L is a very fast lens, especially for the focal length and unfortunately, CA is normal in these types of lenses.

The CA is very apparent in my example:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

the diference between your lines photo and mma's is that he's shooting in the shade, so the contrast between the powerlines and the blue sky is not as bad as your example.

I find no point in pixel peeping. The only people who care about that are other anal photographers.
To me, a photo is more like a book trying to tell a story, but many times we treat it like a math exam and deducting 'points' to the photo. An interesting photo will go much farther than a technically correct, but boring one.

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

hawking_0103
THREAD ­ STARTER
215 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 29, 2010 13:16 |  #33

Now my question is, is the fringing something that Canon repair could fix?

The PF from my first pic is unacceptable for me even when not zoomed in.

-Kenzie-
My Flickr (external link)
T2i, some lenses and a flash

Rsyx
619 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 29, 2010 13:18 |  #34

hawking_0103 wrote in post #10625760 (external link)
Now my question is, is the fringing something that Canon repair could fix?

The PF from my first pic is unacceptable for me even when not zoomed in.

Did you try to fix it in PP? I think you'll be able to remove most - if not all - the PF with good software.

5D II + ZE 50 MP

hawking_0103
THREAD ­ STARTER
215 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 29, 2010 13:23 |  #35

Rsyx wrote in post #10625770 (external link)
Did you try to fix it in PP? I think you'll be able to remove most - if not all - the PF with good software.

I tried that in lightroom but don't like the desaturated purple tone..
The image becomes dull and white balance is off..

[Hyuni wrote:
='[Hyuni];10625752']

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Yours is still acceptable for me.
I know PF and CA is normal in fast lenses but just wanna know to what extend in such extreme cases like mine?

I don't usually pixel peep(in fact, almost never) until I got the first shot in this thread.

Also I tried to dig out my shots taken using another 135L, I don't see any PF unfortunately most of them are taken f/9.0, shots taken with f/2.0 didn't seem overexposed or subjected to extreme lightning like this one, so I couldn't compare and thats why I post it here and see if anyone could tell me if these fringing are normal.

AGAIN, I DON'T EXPECT ZERO PF AND CA IN THESE LENSES.. It has to do with the lens design as Poe said

-Kenzie-

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 29, 2010 13:27 |  #36

that photo's sky is completely overblown. I'd say that CA would be bad with any lens.
In that photo, it looks like you exposed the ground correctly, underexposed the trolley, and completely blew the sky.

That'd be great if there was an affordable lens that would eliminate all CA in any harsh condition, but until then, you're going to have to shoot within the limits of the 135L (Which in my opinion is VERY acceptable. I love my 135L!)

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jul 29, 2010 14:16 |  #37

[Hyuni wrote:
='[Hyuni];10625819']th​at photo's sky is completely overblown. I'd say that CA would be bad with any lens.
In that photo, it looks like you exposed the ground correctly, underexposed the trolley, and completely blew the sky.

That'd be great if there was an affordable lens that would eliminate all CA in any harsh condition, but until then, you're going to have to shoot within the limits of the 135L (Which in my opinion is VERY acceptable. I love my 135L!)

I agree.;)

Gear List

mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 29, 2010 14:43 |  #38

[Hyuni wrote:
='[Hyuni];10625752']ye​ah, I see some fringing in my 135L as well. It's not a deal breaker and your samples are rare.
(I can't think of why I'd shoot snapshot / walkaround type photos in f/2.0)

If it makes you feel better, you can send it in, but you'll most likely get the same result.

CA is most prominent when there's something very bright next to something very dark, which you showed in your examples. The 135L is a very fast lens, especially for the focal length and unfortunately, CA is normal in these types of lenses.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

the diference between your lines photo and mma's is that he's shooting in the shade, so the contrast between the powerlines and the blue sky is not as bad as your example.

I find no point in pixel peeping. The only people who care about that are other anal photographers.
To me, a photo is more like a book trying to tell a story, but many times we treat it like a math exam and deducting 'points' to the photo. An interesting photo will go much farther than a technically correct, but boring one.

Wow .. there is no way I could ever coax my 135 wide open into the type of PF you showed with the water on a leaf. Not for a million bucks, it just won't do it unless I intentionally misfocus the lens .. you may want to have your lens & bodies checked.

And I shot the dark black telephone wires against a bright blue sky, which is hardly "shade" and he specifically asked for telephone wire examples.

Owning a 50 1.4 and an 85 1.8 I know PF all too well :lol: ........... but a well calibrated 135L does not suffer from the same ailment.

Of course if your artistic talents are so great that unwanted ugly purple blobs in the middle of the frame is easily overlooked by your agency, clients, or publishers then I take my hat off to you. Because all three of those pixel-peep, big time.

Newfoundland Wedding Photographer (external link)

mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 29, 2010 15:02 |  #39

Here's a little contest for those who never care to look at actual pixels because their immense artistic talents overshadow any and all technical flaws :lol:

Which well known stock photo agency has the words "SHOW US THE PIXELS" (ie 100% crop) as part of their submission requirements?

PS .. no prize for the right answer.

Newfoundland Wedding Photographer (external link)

hawking_0103
THREAD ­ STARTER
215 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 29, 2010 15:08 |  #40

So mmahoney, did you get your lens calibrated in the past? I just sent it back this morning, its sad to part a few weeks with my beloved 135L, my favourite lens so far.. :(

-Kenzie-

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 29, 2010 15:51 |  #41

mma, but your photo is the blue sky away from the sun and not facing the sun which is a much different circumstance than the OPs.
Plus, my photo is a snap of beading water on a leaf in the harsh mid day sun. It's nothing important and not worth getting my gear checked at since for the most part, all my gear has been very reliable. The real reason I kept it and posted it to my flickr is because the person I'm interested took a look at the photo after I took it and said, "It looks like a heart!" and she liked it for some reason. :P

anyway, looks like hawking sent her lens in for calibration. I just don't think there's anything wrong with it.

hawking_0103
THREAD ­ STARTER
215 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 20, 2010 08:54 |  #42

Hey guys, after 20 days of long wait for my 135L from Canon, I'd finally got back my baby 30 minutes ago!!! I was like a little girl so excitingly unboxing a Christmas present ya know!!

*Cough Cough*
Okay, I'm posting here again just to show how good their services are.

First, extreme PF torture test

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4910438804_3bd536ebee_b.jpg

Crop
IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4909839341_ae294a5c4a_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4098/4910440458_7658492ba4_b.jpg

I told them to recalibrate again because it wasn't as sharp as my previous copy...

My previous copy was extremely sharp.. look at the purple water drops

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/4761980893_6e08e47770_z.jpg

Sharpness test
IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4077/4910461724_2b2bc9a90e_z.jpg

It is all worth the trouble.. not to say PF has TOTALLY gone, but at least now its normal..

-Kenzie-

AbPho
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 20, 2010 09:47 |  #43

I first saw the purple fringing when using an EF 50 1.4. I was a little put off by it. Then after some research I found that this is normal. Some lenses are worse than others. Call it a lens trait. :D

I'm in Canada. Isn't that weird!

sponsored links

6,919 views & 0 likes for this thread
Purple fringing with my 135L - need help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.