Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 14 Jul 2010 (Wednesday) 14:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Track and Field Photography Tips....

Kiddo
Goldmember
2,243 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 14, 2010 14:51 |  #1

So I've surfed the web and found a few tips and tricks but I figured that it was no harm in asking here too....

Next week the IAAF Jr's are here in Moncton and I'm one of the photographers photographing the event :D Which I am really excited about!! I've shot local sports here for years, but this is the first major sporting event that I will be photographing.

If anyone wants to share tips on gear bags, shooting, what to look for, press room, ect it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much in advance... :)

http://www.tanyaeveret​tphotography.com/ (external link)
http://tanyaeverettpho​tography.blogspot.com/ (external link)

Canon 30D, Canon 10D, Canon SXi, Canon EFS 18-55mm Lens, Canon EF 28-80mm Lens, Canon 75-300mm EF Lens, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8LUSM Lens, Speedlite 540EZ

sponsored links
Craign
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 14, 2010 18:26 |  #2

I have never shot track and field. I have looked at some good pictures and some that were not very good. Big differences: Good shots were closer and did not have nearly as much distracting background. Like pole vault or high jump posts that appear to be leaning or even coming out of someone's head. Sounds like fun, there is always some kind of action.

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

Kiddo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,243 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 14, 2010 18:39 |  #3

For sure there is gonna be lots of action... And I don't want to miss any of it! :)

Canon 30D, Canon 10D, Canon SXi, Canon EFS 18-55mm Lens, Canon EF 28-80mm Lens, Canon 75-300mm EF Lens, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8LUSM Lens, Speedlite 540EZ

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,837 posts
Gallery: 295 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 17, 2010 17:44 |  #4

Kiddo wrote in post #10537482 (external link)
For sure there is gonna be lots of action... And I don't want to miss any of it! :)

Your going to miss some action, there just nothing you can do about that as they run several event at the same time.

Tip.

Keep your eye on Holly Bleasdale in the Pole Vault for Great Britain. Holly has broke the British Junior record 3 times this year with a PB now at 4:35 the WR is 4:48

Gear List

Ingerson"PCD"
Goldmember
2,796 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 18, 2010 00:39 as a reply to  @ whiteflyer's post |  #5

I am not a pro...... "disclaimer"

Get out your 70-200 2.8 and click away. I've shot Cross country and Track and field. Morning and evening mean different ends of the track or different corners. The trouble I ran into was, pole vault and long/triple jump do not offer the same options for day light. You have to shoot those two events when they're lighting allows it. I would for sure have a good fill flash because there is a ton of sun light issues.

secondly, wide angle corners on a track look great, especially breaking the finish line tape.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!

Eric

-Eric-
I have too many hobbies to be good at any of them.
Flickr (external link)

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,837 posts
Gallery: 295 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 20, 2010 05:23 |  #6

I don't think the use of flash while the athletes are actual competing is going to go down very well at all. I know from experience some will complain about have their photo take while doing the high jump and that's without flash, as they say it's distracting.

Check with the IAAF first if flash is allowed track side.

Also back to the women's Pole Vault Sweden's Angelica Bengtsson is only 1cm below the world record.

Gear List

Ingerson"PCD"
Goldmember
2,796 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 20, 2010 10:37 |  #7

whiteflyer wrote in post #10569414 (external link)
I don't think the use of flash while the athletes are actual competing is going to go down very well at all. I know from experience some will complain about have their photo take while doing the high jump and that's without flash, as they say it's distracting.

Check with the IAAF first if flash is allowed track side.

Also back to the women's Pole Vault Sweden's Angelica Bengtsson is only 1cm below the world record.

I will definitely make it a point to ask in the future. I hope I'm not out there upsetting athletes.

-Eric-
I have too many hobbies to be good at any of them.
Flickr (external link)

Kiddo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,243 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 29, 2010 20:23 as a reply to  @ Ingerson"PCD"'s post |  #8

The week went great and I got some excellent photos.... :) And the only time I used a flash was when the race was over and when ceremonies were going on.. I'll be posting some photos later from the event.. :)

sponsored links

5,791 views & 0 likes for this thread
Track and Field Photography Tips....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.