I went to photograph the Great Crested Grebes that reside not far from where I live. I spot one, get off my bike, park it and as I approach the water I see three chicks hurrying home to mummy. What a nice surprise that was! Now normally these Grebes are very skittish and therefore hard to photograph: the moment they see you coming, they turn and run. This time was no different. Or so I thought, because she did not leave the spot and only went to the other side of the canal. So I sat down, took shots and waited, and after some time, she got used to me being there and relaxed. In the end she came so close to me that I had to adjust the settings on my lens so that it would focus close by as well! And then, in that very spot, she went to sleep.
I was beside myself there and had a ball. I came home with a card full of the most amazing images. I mean, even without the babies being there, it would have been amazing! The light played tricks on me and constantly changed. The nice thing about that is that I have similar shots that are very different because of the light. Also, the colours of the cars on the other side of the canal sometimes coloured the water beautifully and gave it a special feel. I have a very special series of those that I will post in a separate thread later.
In short, I had a card full and I will post more of this family in the upcoming week (so many images to get ready for the Web - and I really, really HATE doing it!). In the mean time I hope you like them as much as I do.
Part II: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=910644
Part III: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=911202
1. Mrs. Grebe sees me coming and takes off, calling the babies home...
2. Plenty of room back there...IMAGE LINK: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/288477/17890151
3. A curious little fellow...IMAGE LINK: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/288477/17890743
4. Beginning to relax with me being there...IMAGE LINK: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/288477/17890207
5. Still, nice and safe with mummy...IMAGE LINK: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/288477/17890229
6. Taking the front seat...IMAGE LINK: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/288477/17890307
7. In the mean time dad is working hard to bring home the goodies...IMAGE LINK: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/288477/17889787
8. Down the hatch...IMAGE LINK: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/288477/17889791