Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2009 (Wednesday) 12:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

General Wedding Somewhat less Chit-Chatty of Late (Everyone's gotten busy) Thread (6)

Kathy ­ H
" it's a very handsome sheep! "
7,622 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 31, 2010 01:17 |  #3151

Chris Dana wrote in post #10635458 (external link)
Come to Michigan...we have...um...er...dilap​idated buildings...um...flat land...hrm...yeah....

Hummmm, sounds a lot like where I live....No Thanks! :p Well not flat land, but pretty boring!

Kathy H
BLOG (external link)

sponsored links
Chris ­ Dana
Goldmember
1,421 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 31, 2010 01:21 |  #3152

Kathy H wrote in post #10635478 (external link)
I found it harder to make myself happy with my photography doing weddings. Weddings never seem to go how we hope they will because we aren't the star of the show at them and don't have as much control as we want to get the pictures we dream of taking. I get really frustrated after some of them because I feel i didn't really do anything great, and in my mind and with my critique, I'm right....the images are not what I wanted to achieve, but that's mostly because I didn't have the cooperation I thought I needed! It's always high energy and usually stressful and people mostly want to do their thing and enjoy their guests so the pressure is there to not push them too much to idulge our fantasys about the wonderful pictures we could get.....if only the would...:) You know what I mean?

I get much more satisfaction from the e-sessions, because there i am in control!

OH YEAH....Did I mention I am still shooting lots of weddings and still only get a handfull of shots that make ME happy! LOL

Yeah, I know what you mean. This last wedding taught me that if I'm going to be doing weddings on my own, I need an assistant (with DA, I will have an assistant). Part of my problem was that I was so drained by the time I go the B&G together, that I was struggling some. The images I like from that wedding are from earlier in the day.

In the end, it really doesn't matter what I think, though. As long as the clients are happy - but I will continue to study what others do to find some inspiration as well as tearing my work apart and figuring out what to do differently next time.

Chris Dana Photography (external link) - Mid Michigan Family Photography
Digital Alchemy (external link) - Detroit and Mid Michigan Wedding Photography

Chris ­ Dana
Goldmember
1,421 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 31, 2010 01:22 |  #3153

Kathy H wrote in post #10635485 (external link)
Hummmm, sounds a lot like where I live....No Thanks! :p Well not flat land, but pretty boring!

I miss the mountains. :cry:

Chris Dana Photography (external link) - Mid Michigan Family Photography
Digital Alchemy (external link) - Detroit and Mid Michigan Wedding Photography

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,216 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 31, 2010 01:27 |  #3154

SuzyView wrote in post #10635474 (external link)
I'm meeting you in NYC if I can, Mo. It's only a 5 hour drive for me.

Hooray!!!! We will be there May 5-11. May 6th is a Friday and my b-day. Why don't we plan on celebrating together?

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Maureen ­ Souza
33,216 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 31, 2010 01:30 |  #3155

Know what is funny? Pictures I thought were only mediocre at the time are now pictures i love to re-visit. I guess it takes a little time to get used to the shots because when I go back months or years later, I am like : "Wow, did I take that?" :)

5DMK4
7DMK2

Kathy ­ H
7,622 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 31, 2010 01:32 as a reply to  @ Kathy H's post |  #3156

Okay, one last thought then I am headed for bed.....

Mo, I have been thinking about what you posted in my e-session post about the back yard weddings and you know what!! Next one of those I get i am going to make the bride & groom pose by the plastic yard deer! If I get lucky maybe I can get a yard with some plastic pink flamingos! LOL I will have a new inspirational trial...making beauty out of yard junk!:lol:

I do have a wedding tomorrow and luckily it is at a high-lakes resort. If I can just get some clouds to help me out! I went up to the resort to meet with the couple and see what the place was like...hahaha! Oh jeez...This couple is from Portland and they had no idea what the resort was like, they only knew what they saw on the website for the place, but they reserved it anyway, sight unseen. Welllllll... the first question the groom to be had was...."while our ceremony is going on, will the boaters stay out of this area of the lake" HAHAHAHAHA!! Ummmm NO NO NO! The lake is a resort area and it's a PUBLIC resort! They can have a small area of the grounds roped off, but not the lake! So they will most likely have boats, kids, dogs, sunbathers, etc. joining in their celebration. Should be interesting!

Okay, bed time! Good night all, fun visiting with you!

Kathy H
BLOG (external link)

Kathy ­ H
7,622 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 31, 2010 01:38 |  #3157

Chris Dana wrote in post #10635500 (external link)
I miss the mountains. :cry:

I lived in Detroit for a short period of my life. Best time I had there was in the winter we would run water in an old abandoned warehouse cement floor, it would freeze almost instantly (dang it was COLD) and then we would slide all over the ice with plastic bags. There's a memory for ya! lol

Kathy H
BLOG (external link)

Derweissehai
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 31, 2010 03:07 as a reply to  @ Kathy H's post |  #3158

Morning all. Just a quick note to say hi. Sorry have been really busy with the move, vacation and a weekend trip to TX. Well the movers will be here on Monday and then we will be in VA on the 10th to get the house.

I leave for the boat 14 days after that and won't be back until almost Christmas.....YEAH. But rest assured I will be taking pics of the places I visit and share with everyone when I can....now back to bed.

Sony A7, Mamiay 645AF & RZ67, Canon 7D & 40D, Pentax Spotomatic SP2, Ashai SuperTakamur 50mm 1.4, Profoto D1 1000 Air.
FLICKR (external link)

Maureen ­ Souza
33,216 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 31, 2010 03:22 |  #3159

Kathy H wrote in post #10635533 (external link)
Okay, one last thought then I am headed for bed.....

Mo, I have been thinking about what you posted in my e-session post about the back yard weddings and you know what!! Next one of those I get i am going to make the bride & groom pose by the plastic yard deer! If I get lucky maybe I can get a yard with some plastic pink flamingos! LOL I will have a new inspirational trial...making beauty out of yard junk!:lol:

I do have a wedding tomorrow and luckily it is at a high-lakes resort. If I can just get some clouds to help me out! I went up to the resort to meet with the couple and see what the place was like...hahaha! Oh jeez...This couple is from Portland and they had no idea what the resort was like, they only knew what they saw on the website for the place, but they reserved it anyway, sight unseen. Welllllll... the first question the groom to be had was...."while our ceremony is going on, will the boaters stay out of this area of the lake" HAHAHAHAHA!! Ummmm NO NO NO! The lake is a resort area and it's a PUBLIC resort! They can have a small area of the grounds roped off, but not the lake! So they will most likely have boats, kids, dogs, sunbathers, etc. joining in their celebration. Should be interesting!

Okay, bed time! Good night all, fun visiting with you!

I did one on the beach in San Diego at 5 pm. The setting sun was what I had to shoot into plus there was a bicycle/jogging path just on the other side of where the B&G stood. So I fought the silhouettes and all the public were in the photos. There are a LOT of people biking and jogging in San Diego :)

No wonder wedding photogs charge so much!! I am trying my best to convince my couple to shoot photos earlier in the day at some really cool grunge buildings dowstown. One groom refuses to see the bride before the wedding or go afterwards. Now I am trying to talk him into going the next morning before he has to return his tux.

5DMK4
7DMK2

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,424 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 31, 2010 06:38 as a reply to  @ Maureen Souza's post |  #3160

Good Morning, All :)

Great photos Kathy and Mo!

Suzie, the family is looking good and you are looking chipper...must be feeling much better I trust :)

Had the grandkids over for a sleepover last night...we are off to Micky D's for a grand grandkids breakfast.

Jim -- I keep the Leica D-Lux 7 in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L, Leica D-Lux 7

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,424 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 31, 2010 06:40 |  #3161

Maureen Souza wrote in post #10635825 (external link)
I did one on the beach in San Diego at 5 pm. The setting sun was what I had to shoot into plus there was a bicycle/jogging path just on the other side of where the B&G stood. So I fought the silhouettes and all the public were in the photos. There are a LOT of people biking and jogging in San Diego :)

No wonder wedding photogs charge so much!! I am trying my best to convince my couple to shoot photos earlier in the day at some really cool grunge buildings dowstown. One groom refuses to see the bride before the wedding or go afterwards. Now I am trying to talk him into going the next morning before he has to return his tux.

Yea but it is the challenge that makes it fun! I know you, Mo...you will get awesome photos in spite of the situation :)

Jim -- I keep the Leica D-Lux 7 in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L, Leica D-Lux 7

Derweissehai
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 31, 2010 07:28 as a reply to  @ JimAskew's post |  #3162

Morning all. I have been fortunate enough to work with the same guy for the last 3 years and the some of the couples have had no problem with seeing each other prior to the wedding. It makes the photos go so much easier and less time is spent trying to wrangle everyone up after the wedding.

Yes they do charge a lot but it is needed especially when you have the mother from hell that insists that you be here and there and she really wants this shot. I have to admit there have been times where I have to be snotty to her and tell her that it is her daughters wedding not hers or send her to the wedding coordinator.

But working with the shadows are some the best ways to go....it gets away from the traditional wedding photography and makes it unique, sometimes the long shadows make the picture.....play with it. I have and that's why the guy i worked with business jumped......never hurts to have a second shooter with modeling experience to help with the weddings. Cause they see other things the traditional wedding photographer may miss. But we still take the traditional shots that are required, but nowdays most couples are looking for something to spice up the photos.

Hope all is well this morning with everyone.

Sony A7, Mamiay 645AF & RZ67, Canon 7D & 40D, Pentax Spotomatic SP2, Ashai SuperTakamur 50mm 1.4, Profoto D1 1000 Air.
FLICKR (external link)

Kathy ­ H
7,622 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 31, 2010 13:12 as a reply to  @ Derweissehai's post |  #3163

Good morning everyone! It's Saturday, wedding shoot day, and of course after a week of lovely stomry overcast skys.....There's not a cloud in the sky today! DANG IT how can this happen! lol

Maybe the clouds will appear later in the day, the ceremony isn't until 4:00.

Kathy H
BLOG (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 31, 2010 13:18 |  #3164

Working is good. But I'm with Jim. I'm enjoying the family. Mo, I will put the date on my calendar and let's plan on it. Yes, Jim, I am feeling better. We had a very nice dinner last night at World Famous right on the beach so it was well worth the time and money. But today we're off to Point Loma? It's supposed to be amazing, but we haven't seen the sun in 4 days yet.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 01, 2010 00:42 |  #3165

Seems like everyone is asleep already. We just got back from a very filling dinner in Old Town. I'm tired of Mexican food, finally. I'm ready for some more sea food and then some Chinese food in San Francisco. San Diego proved most beautiful and the sun came our finally today. I don't have hardly any tan, but my family members are a little sunburned. Missed Tom today, we were both busy. Next time. I'm actually very excited about driving from Cambria to Monterey to see the shore line. Should be beautiful. Getting the 5D with 17-40 ready.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

sponsored links

405,014 views & 0 likes for this thread
General Wedding Somewhat less Chit-Chatty of Late (Everyone's gotten busy) Thread (6)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.