Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Jul 2010 (Friday) 13:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

America in Color from 1939-1943

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 30, 2010 13:11 |  #1

http://blogs.denverpos​t.com …-in-color-from-1939-1943/ (external link)

This link was posted in another forum I frequent (oddly enough, an NFL football forum). These are some pretty amazing photos IMO and I thought others here may enjoy them as well.

From the linked site:

These images, by photographers of the Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information, are some of the only color photographs taken of the effects of the Depression on America’s rural and small town populations. The photographs are the property of the Library of Congress and were included in a 2006 exhibit Bound for Glory: America in Color.

Blane
Gear List

sponsored links
kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,552 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 30, 2010 13:45 |  #2

Thank you, for the link.
They have another collection from earlier Russia.
Amazing too.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 30, 2010 13:46 |  #3

Fascinating series of images - thanks for posting.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

gkarris
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 30, 2010 14:16 |  #4

That's just awesome...

Sort of "eerie" as I'm used to seeing only B&W from that era and seeing these and on top nicely scanned in and enhanced seems like just modern Hollywood shots...

tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 30, 2010 21:36 |  #5

gkarris wrote in post #10632563 (external link)
That's just awesome...

Sort of "eerie" as I'm used to seeing only B&W from that era and seeing these and on top nicely scanned in and enhanced seems like just modern Hollywood shots...

Wonderful photos, thanks for posting it. I agree, I kind of thought the world was mostly sepia-colored back then.

Dave

Performance/sport dog photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"Always available to shoot your dog"

gkarris
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 31, 2010 10:16 |  #6

Now this is REALLY eerie - the Member Photo of the Month for EAA Sport Magazine - there was a re-enactment and on top of that, the photographer shot with era equipment. Nicely scanned in and printed, after seeing the above shots, my mind thinks that the photo is from that era...

http://www.sportaviati​ononline.org …=150&pm=2&u1=fr​iend#pg150 (external link)

Wonderful shot - shows how film, in certain ways, can rule over digital...

Mike-DT6
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 31, 2010 17:25 |  #7

This is absolutely magical! Thanks for posting.

Old black and white photographs have an inherent barrier that prevents the viewer (at least in my case) from being able to appreciate the subject matter in the same way as would be the case with a colour photograph.

With colour it bridges that gap and brings everything to life, allowing the viewer to appreciate the photograph and relate it to modern times.

Excellent! Thank you,

Mike

:-)

Gear list

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 31, 2010 18:31 |  #8

A magnificent find and display. Some of these images are breathtaking. The America I never knew 70 years ago. I wish I could time travel and spend a year or two here and there just to see how different things are past, present, and future.

Viva-photography
Goldmember
1,442 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 31, 2010 18:54 |  #9

Very cool! Great Find! Thank you for posting! :D

jaredholtphoto.com (external link)
Canon 5D Mark II// Canon 85mm f/1.8//Sigma 35mm f/1.4//Canon 70-200 f/4L

sponsored links

2,148 views & 0 likes for this thread
America in Color from 1939-1943
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.