Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 01 Aug 2010 (Sunday) 11:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is Acting CRAZY a sport??

WoodworthPhoto
241 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 01, 2010 11:55 |  #1

What do yal think?

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i849.photobucke​t.com …IMG_3739.jpg?t=​1280639575 (external link)

http://i849.photobucke​t.com …/gtrrocker02/IM​G_3741.jpg (external link)

http://i849.photobucke​t.com …IMG_3755.jpg?t=​1280639575 (external link)

5D MKii - 7D - Sigma 10-20 - 24-70L - 50mm 1.8 - 70-200L 2.8 IS - 430ex ii - AB1600/vegabond mini - 
http://www.codywoodwor​th.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/woodworthphoto (external link) << "LIKE if you LIKE" <<

sponsored links
putch
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 01, 2010 11:58 |  #2

Stupidity isn't a sport!

bjoynes
132 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 01, 2010 12:04 |  #3

1st Pic. Does he know his pants are falling down, his pants are held up with wipersnipper line, and a rope seems to be around his right foot. Drive has an evil grin.
2nd Pic, Almost looks like a cartoon, reminds me of a bird trying to fly. This is why the driver had an evil grin.
3rd Pic, Well all I can say is "You might be a redneck if"

In the south anything can be made a sport, so yes I would say acting crazy is a sport of sorts.

If only the third pic had been in focus, sharper etc., it would have made one hell of a shot.

Bryn

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 01, 2010 12:12 |  #4

I love seeing pictures of medical choppers. Got any of those? ;)

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

WoodworthPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
241 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 01, 2010 12:35 |  #5

bjoynes wrote in post #10641717 (external link)
1st Pic. Does he know his pants are falling down, his pants are held up with wipersnipper line, and a rope seems to be around his right foot. Drive has an evil grin.
2nd Pic, Almost looks like a cartoon, reminds me of a bird trying to fly. This is why the driver had an evil grin.
3rd Pic, Well all I can say is "You might be a redneck if"

In the south anything can be made a sport, so yes I would say acting crazy is a sport of sorts.

If only the third pic had been in focus, sharper etc., it would have made one hell of a shot.

Bryn

haha. Ya. its pretty redneck. but no one got hurt and it turned out to be a pretty fun day. and i wish the last one came out sharper to. but o well.. maybe a re-shoot:p

5D MKii - 7D - Sigma 10-20 - 24-70L - 50mm 1.8 - 70-200L 2.8 IS - 430ex ii - AB1600/vegabond mini - 
http://www.facebook.co​m/woodworthphoto (external link) << "LIKE if you LIKE" <<

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 01, 2010 13:54 |  #6

Biffbradford wrote in post #10641760 (external link)
I love seeing pictures of medical choppers. Got any of those? ;)

IMAGE: http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing013.gif
IMAGE LINK: http://www.freesmileys​.org/smileys.php  (external link)

This wasn't crazy, it's stupid and dangerous. It's why personal watercraft have a fatality rate that is 3X anything else.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

Cebu
111 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 01, 2010 16:53 as a reply to  @ JohnJ80's post |  #7

A viable candidate for the Darwin Awards.

Elisha
577 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 01, 2010 16:57 |  #8

Well is acting crazy is a sport, then most of the games in the Winter Olympics are crazy since they are mostly daredevil stunts!

Nikon D750
flickr (external link)

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 01, 2010 17:06 |  #9

Except for the difference called "training." Olympic athletes spend hours/days/weeks/years with spotters and safety equipment and also wear protective gear. These knuckleheads most likely had a few too many brewskis and were feeling invincible. Big difference.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

WoodworthPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
241 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 01, 2010 19:11 |  #10

JohnJ80 wrote in post #10643135 (external link)
Except for the difference called "training." Olympic athletes spend hours/days/weeks/years with spotters and safety equipment and also wear protective gear. These knuckleheads most likely had a few too many brewskis and were feeling invincible. Big difference.

J.

No beers. only had water on the boat n and some RedBulls. The closest thing to training is the fact that they're Pro wakeboarders lol. But does that make it safe? naaa.. There just some crazy kids lol.

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 01, 2010 20:31 |  #11

JohnJ80 wrote in post #10643135 (external link)

J.

What sort of safety gear do you need to be on the water besides a life jacket, which they both are wearing? What exactly are they doing that increases their risk of injury over say skilling or wakeboarding?

I have also not seen too many spotters helping downhill skiers stay safe and the form of water they fall on is a bit harder.

You also might want to do a bit of research on the fatality rates. In 2007, 67 people died in PWC accidents while 77 died canoeing and 334 died in open motor boats. 46 of the 67 died from trauma, which was not from hitting the water but from hitting or being hit by other boats or fixed objects like a bridge or tree trunk.

http://www.injurytrial​lawyer.com …ry/2007_Boating​_Stats.pdf (external link)

Was what they were doing safe? No, but don't make it sound like they were playing with loaded guns or driving 90 in the snow. They were a couple of kids who spend a ton of time in the water just having some fun.

I just wish there would have been better pictures taken of it. :-)

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

WoodworthPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
241 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 01, 2010 20:53 |  #12

Big K wrote in post #10644019 (external link)
What sort of safety gear do you need to be on the water besides a life jacket, which they both are wearing? What exactly are they doing that increases their risk of injury over say skilling or wakeboarding?

I have also not seen too many spotters helping downhill skiers stay safe and the form of water they fall on is a bit harder.

You also might want to do a bit of research on the fatality rates. In 2007, 67 people died in PWC accidents while 77 died canoeing and 334 died in open motor boats. 46 of the 67 died from trauma, which was not from hitting the water but from hitting or being hit by other boats or fixed objects like a bridge or tree trunk.

Was what they were doing safe? No, but don't make it sound like they were playing with loaded guns or driving 90 in the snow. They were a couple of kids who spend a ton of time in the water just having some fun.

Ya. there are much sharper Pictures taken. but they werent captured at as cool of moments as these unfortunately. O well tho. i liked the blur on the second one. gives good emotion to it i think.. but the last one i wish was at a higher shutter speed.

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 01, 2010 21:03 |  #13

I was just giving you a hard time. I know how it goes. It did look like you had a fun day on the water. Have a good one.

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 01, 2010 23:34 |  #14

Big K wrote in post #10644019 (external link)
What sort of safety gear do you need to be on the water besides a life jacket, which they both are wearing?

You're right, there is no other safety equipment that would be recommended for a completely illegal and unauthorized use of a watercraft like this.

What exactly are they doing that increases their risk of injury over say skilling or wakeboarding?

Well for starters, a person waterskiing or wakeboarding cannot fall over backwards and sustain a brain injury from hitting the boat that they were being towed by. As well, the odds of being run over by the boat that you were being towed by are pretty small compared to this where it is a very real possibility.

Seems pretty obvious to me. In most, if not all, states this would be considered illegal operation and you would be ticketed. Describing this as a Darwin award attempt is accurate.

Well, you need to look again. They are called "ski patrollers" and their primary duties are accident prevention followed by rescue. Most ski areas have a very sizable staff of patrollers on duty making sure that that risk is managed and that dangerous behavior is identified and stopped.

What you also miss in this is that every major ski area has a huge focus on risk management and guest safety. They have entire staffs on the mountain that monitor guest behavior and either get the guest to moderate their behavior or they are ejected from the ski area. Many of the larger ski areas have used or still use radar guns to identify too fast skiers.

You specifically mentioned professional athletes. In Alpine racing (the example), the athletes are very highly trained, they are wearing protective gear, the runs have been cleared and barricaded to prevent unauthorized use and there are rescue personnel and course officials close at hand if there is an accident and to identify unsafe conditions and rectify them ASAP. Serious accidents rarely happen.

Very different, and much safer, situation than this.

I have. That's why I made the comment.

What you miss is that the proportion of injuries due to personal watercraft are much higher than their proportion of licensed watercraft as a whole. In MN (where I live), the numbers are something like 30% of the total accidents (including fatalities) and something like 12% of the boat registrations (I'll have to find that again, but that's about right). Clearly out of whack - if they are 12% of the registrations they should be 12% of the injuries/fatalities/ac​cidents instead of 3X as many. PWC are responsible for much more of the problem on a proportional basis - which is the only one that really matters.

Most state DNR's have similar information and reflects similar issues. It's why State DNRs focus on watercraft safety with special emphasis on PWC safety for youth.

Not much different than driving 90 in the snow - equally irresponsible behavior.

I live on a major body of recreational water. Every year there are accidents and fatalities are not unusual here. They almost invariably happen when someone is doing something foolish and dangerous like this. Often, this sort of behavior leads to injuries by parties that were not involved (collisions). The problem with water sports is if you get injured in a way that would be quite survivable on land, if your ability to maintain your airway or to keep your head out of water is compromised, you can quickly die. Often problems are compounded when those around them, unfamiliar with water rescue, get into trouble rescuing them.

Fun? Maybe. Stupid? Absolutely. Is the defensible behavior? No.

Obsessive Gear List

SnapLocally.com
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 02, 2010 11:29 |  #15

I hope the fun line is drawn before cups on cold winter days.

www.SnapLocally.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,290 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is Acting CRAZY a sport??
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.