Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 04:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Freezes or locks up.

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 03, 2010 04:40 |  #1

Its a quick fix - pop the battery and put it back in again. Is anyone else suffering from this, it seems it happened after the new firmware and when it goes to sleep. But not always...

here is a video.... not sure why it is only downloading but its only 6mb.

ok is sorted it out - i think new link:

no download:

http://www.nosolobodas​.es/Estudio_Fotografic​o/7d (external link)

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

sponsored links
zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 03, 2010 06:19 |  #2

has anyone else suffered from this, i just wanna know if there is a quick fix. if not ill call canon this afternoon...

Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 03, 2010 06:28 as a reply to  @ zincozinco's post |  #3

The instructions from Canon say to turn the camera OFF and then remove the battery for a few seconds after updating the firmware. Is that what you are referring to? As far as I know, that is the standard procedure for all Canon cameras when doing a firmware upgrade.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 03, 2010 06:49 |  #4

no no, it locks up during shooting. Sometimes when it goes on hibernation or sleep it hungs like that in the video. But it has only happened after the firmware update.

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 03, 2010 07:54 as a reply to  @ zincozinco's post |  #5

I would reinstall the firmware again.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,925 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Aug 03, 2010 09:53 |  #6

Wow. That's pretty wild. Your on/off switch doesn't even do anything it seems. If reinstalling the firmware doesn't fix it, then I'd suggest e-mailing Canon with the link to the video and unfortunately you may need to send it in.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 03, 2010 09:58 |  #7

Never had this happen, sorry couldn't be of more help

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 03, 2010 10:00 as a reply to  @ e02937's post |  #8

As suggested I would try reinstalling the firmware again and if that doesn't take care of it then a call/visit to Canon is in order. I have had my 7D for about 10 months and have never seen anything like that at all.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 03, 2010 13:43 |  #9

Yeah its pretty new for me too. I had a 5d2 that took about 3 sec to start up and had the mouse maze thing going on, once they removed those 2 problems there was heavy banding so they sent me a new one. its just that sending it in is a tedious process and wanted to know if somebody had a quick solution. I have sent the video to canon in spain but no response so far. I have re installed the 1.2.2 and will take it for a test, however these things always happen when you are working and never when you are testing....

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 03, 2010 16:47 as a reply to  @ zincozinco's post |  #10

My 5D2 will lock up like that occasionally during video, but it seems to be caused by a couple of memory cards that I have. The issue that I've experienced is actually a known issue with certain Sandisk Extreme III cards, but I haven't bothered to get them replaced, because I normally shoot with Lexars anyway. It's the same deal though...have to remove and reinsert the battery to get the camera to respond.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 03, 2010 18:03 |  #11

Yeah could be camera to camera i was actually on 2 different cards on the day before my own kingston 16gb and when i did the film a borrowed extreme 3. I normally use faster cards in that camera, but it never happened when o was using it only when i left it alone...

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 03, 2010 18:19 |  #12

Turn off auto sleep I guess for now... actually I hate it and only set it to 30 minutes for the times when I accidentally leave it on. I hate it when it turns off and just the top LCD takes so little power (my old EOS 650 doesn't turn off the top LCD until you finish the roll of film which can take weeks or months these days :lol: ).

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 03, 2010 20:54 |  #13

Haven't had mine do this.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 04, 2010 03:40 |  #14

i might just turn auto sleep off and see what happens...

Flitske
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 30, 2010 11:57 as a reply to  @ zincozinco's post |  #15

Any news on this?

I have the same problem on my 7D. I accidentally discovered it during my holidays. The camera locked up several times (maybe 10 times) within the same trip. I changed the auto shut-off from 5 minutes to 30 minutes, and now I don't have the problem anymore, since I normally turn off my camera when I'm not intending to use it for a longer time. But unfortunately, this does not solve the root-cause of the problem...

sponsored links

27,059 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D Freezes or locks up.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.