Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 01 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 18:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moving to Apple?

this thread is locked
fensterbme
367 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 02, 2010 22:55 |  #46

ReflektionsPhotography wrote in post #10651096 (external link)
None of this post makes any sense. I just started typing, jumping around, typing some more, and crap.

.... I would agree.

My Gear: Doesn't Matter, but I have more than my fair share of it.
My Web Site:
http://www.fenstermach​er-photo.com/ (external link)
My flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fensterbme/ (external link)

sponsored links
dakboy
62 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 02, 2010 22:58 |  #47

imahawki wrote in post #10649961 (external link)
The stats at the end of that article are interesting. Mac OS users seem to upgrade to the newest version at a far faster rate than Windows users. I assume because it is cheaper? I also think that MS finally really hit the mark with XP and I personally have had NO OS related issues since XP. Even though Vista was much maligned, my Vista laptop (that I'm typing this from) has been flawless and my Windows 7 machine rocks.

In part because it's cheaper, but also because it's easier, safer, and there's demonstrable improvements in each release that make it worthwhile (especially "faster on the same hardware"). Not to mention the fact that most MacOS developers move forward very rapidly, leaving older versions of the OS in the dust. There was a huge break when 10.5 (Leopard) came out - lots of software was updated to use Leopard-only features & users had to stay with old versions of their software or upgrade their whole system.

Upgrade advice for every version of Windows: back up your data, reformat & install clean because upgrade installs always end up with problems and junk left over.

Upgrade advice for every version of MacOS (since I've started watching Apple): Back up your data, pop in disc, select upgrade type (and this last step wasn't even needed with Snow Leopard). Walk away for an hour & let it do its thing.

dakboy
62 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 02, 2010 22:59 |  #48

Blackwood wrote in post #10651103 (external link)
Maybe, or maybe because Microsoft's monthly patches serve much the same purpose as Apple's less regular refreshes.

Apple regularly issues patches & "service packs" via Software Update. MS's monthly patches do not add new features/functionality any more than Apple's updates.

It's a pretty sad commentary on MS's record of security & quality that they have to issue fixes monthly - and that they had to scale back to monthly releases because corporate customers were complaining about getting multitudes of patches pushed out every week.

dakboy
62 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 02, 2010 23:12 |  #49

tonylong wrote in post #10648977 (external link)
Now, Apple users also have for many years promoted the "security" superiority over Windows. I'd say that's a mixed bag. Windows has grown more secure over the years as they moved from single user systems into a "real world internet" system, but they are always going to be subject to people probing and attacking them because they are the "big target". Apple on the other hand (and Unix/Linux) were not bothered because they were so small compared to MS -- nobody bothered. But as Apple grows in its position due to the iPod/iPhone/iPad explosion, well, I'd say the target grows on them as well. And correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't we actually seen viruses crop up on Macs?

I think there was a single MacOS virus a few years ago. The rest have been trojans - they depended upon a user running a malicious program from an untrusted source. That will happen on any OS.

The difference between Windows security and MacOS X/UNIX/Linux/BSD security is that Windows security has been patched & hacked time & again (see UAC in Vista), whereas the others have had it designed in from the beginning. MS never really held developers' feet to the fire when it came to writing their apps properly for a secure/multi-user environment back in the 90s even when they offered an OS which had the facilities available (the NT line), and they're still wrestling with cleaning it up today. It's a lot better than it used to be, but there are still a lot of badly-behaved Windows apps out there which don't understand that they aren't supposed to be writing user preferences to c:\program files

tonylong wrote in post #10648977 (external link)
I know it's been coming along, but has the Apple system "opened up" more to outside programmers? I know that Microsoft has had a pretty open platform for programming from back in the MS-DOS days, maybe even more open than Unix was (less protection). Things have tightened up security-wise in Windows, for sure, but still you have some great programming tools that allows you to develop powerful Windows apps, not just "scripts" -- and here I'm ignorant -- does Apple have programming platforms that allow a user to fully develop apps from the ground up?

XCode is free for anyone to download and is the standard for app development on MacOS and iOS (iPhone/iPad Touch). It's Apple's answer to MS Visual Studio. In addition you've got Automator and AppleScript, the latter of which will allow you to automate any application which provides a "dictionary" (an API, essentially) and the former can utilize "actions" which may be provided by any application if the developer creates them.

And, since OS X is UNIX under the hood, porting apps from Linux isn't a monumental task either, though it's not as easy as bringing a Linux app to SunOS or BSD because the UI toolkits aren't the same - there is an X11 layer for OS X though, and I'm pretty sure Qt has a OS X port.

fensterbme
367 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 02, 2010 23:19 |  #50

dakboy wrote in post #10651171 (external link)
It's a pretty sad commentary on MS's record of security & quality that they have to issue fixes monthly - and that they had to scale back to monthly releases because corporate customers were complaining about getting multitudes of patches pushed out every week.

Microsoft deserves a lot of what is negatively said about them... but they have done a really good job with security in the past few years. They still have issues (all OS's have them) but they have made huge strides.

The reality is that Microsoft is the one with the big target on their back... why? Because people are more familar with Windows and there is more of a desire to find and a bug that can be exploited to take advantage of the most users. These days most hackers are professionals hacking for illegal profits, etc. so why would they put all the effort into hacking an OS that only a comparitively small subset of folks use... There are plenty of bugs with Apple's applications (Safari, etc.), and it's kind of foolish to assume that if something isn't being updated it's secure.

Not saying Microsoft is perfect but they are a lot better and other OS's (including Apple's) have their own issues.

I love OS-X and have a brand new MacBookPro (and soon to have a new Mac Pro) and they both sit safely behind an OpenBSD based firewall that's pretty locked down, I don't trust them anymore than I would a Windows system. That said a firewall doesn't do a ton of good since there are many hacks that just require one to surf to the wrong web page (or surf to one that has a buggy ad delievered to it) to get 0wnd.

My Gear: Doesn't Matter, but I have more than my fair share of it.
My Web Site:
http://www.fenstermach​er-photo.com/ (external link)
My flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fensterbme/ (external link)

ReflektionsPhotography
363 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 03, 2010 04:15 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

Mac also has patches, but they are installed a bit more stealthily than MS, which often gives you a choice to set up your updates.

Canon 5D Mark II, 1D Mark IV, 580EX II x2, PW Flex TT1 & TT5s (x2), Canon 17-40L (for sale), 24-70L (for sale), 70-200L 2.8 mark ii, 135L, 100 usm macro, Sigma 50 1.4,. Software: Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS4. WTB: 16-35 2.8 ii, Sigma 85 1.4

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 03, 2010 04:41 |  #52

Just a reminder: This was the start of the thread: (4 weeks ago, and the OP hasn't been back since...)

plusnq wrote in post #10462733 (external link)
Hi
I am considering an Apple MacBook pro 15 i7 as my next laptop. I will use it for my photoediting and tethered shooting only, mainly with Photoshop CS5 and lightroom 3. Is anyone using one with these programs and how are you finding it? Also I want to drive my Dell 30 inch monitor from it. I wondered if anyone was using theirs in a similar fashion? Any problems/issues?

Not "are Macs more expensive" or "is a Mac a better choice".

Please, not another Mac vs. PC thread...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

dakboy
62 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 03, 2010 05:31 |  #53

ReflektionsPhotography wrote in post #10652200 (external link)
Mac also has patches, but they are installed a bit more stealthily than MS, which often gives you a choice to set up your updates.

Please explain this. I've had Windows Update automatically reboot computers when I wasn't looking because the default setup was to install without my interaction. In 3 years of Mac ownership, I have never had an update installed without Software Update popping up and asking me to start the installation. It downloads behind the scenes, but nothing has been installed without my consent.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 03, 2010 08:49 |  #54

Blackwood wrote in post #10649226 (external link)
Video cards you're pretty much restricted to whatever specific cards are available in the Mac, but you can probably save *a little* buying from a vendor like newegg rather than paying Apple to install it.

Apple's video cards have specific ROMs that allow them to be used with their computers. You cannot buy an off-the-shelf video card and install it in an Apple Mac unless you flash those cards with an Apple ROM (not a trivial task). You can, however, install a large number of off-the-shelf video cards with hackintoshes, particularly those from NVidia.

imahawki wrote in post #10649865 (external link)
My comments in this thread have never been about the quality of Apple products, their market share, etc. just my objection to the fallacy that Apple computers aren't more expensive when they are...

If the computers have the same features and specifications then they cost just about the same. They are expensive, but not overpriced.

...and every comparison I've seen is either ULTRA high end or picks some ridiculous component (like an $1,100 monitor) to even the prices out.

Since this seems directed at me, can you point to another 27" H-IPS display that costs less?

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Blackwood
158 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 03, 2010 10:10 |  #55

dakboy wrote in post #10651171 (external link)

I don't know if that's so much commentary on MS or commentary about what they have to deal with. I'm not a MS or an Apple "fanboy." I'll use whatever suits my objectives. I try to view things objectively with an eye towards engineering. MS builds an "everyman's" OS that has to install on whatever hardware combination gets thrown at it, and since they have such a huge percentage of the market, they have a big target on their back. Apple builds a "specialized" OS that only has to work on hardware of their choosing, and since they have such a small marketshare they aren't much of a target.

Really, I think MS does a pretty good job considering.

fensterbme wrote in post #10651266 (external link)
There are plenty of bugs with Apple's applications (Safari, etc.)

iTunes on Windows is probably the most egregiously bad piece of software I've used in years, and given how many windows users run iTunes, there's no excuse for it.

Tony-S wrote in post #10653068 (external link)
Apple's video cards have specific ROMs that allow them to be used with their computers. You cannot buy an off-the-shelf video card and install it in an Apple Mac unless you flash those cards with an Apple ROM (not a trivial task).

Unfortunate. Thanks for the info.

Tony-S wrote in post #10653068 (external link)
If the computers have the same features and specifications then they cost just about the same.

Do you think that's true even towards the end of a system's life cycle (e.g. a few months before a refresh rather than a few months after)?

Marc Blackwood (external link) | HYPERcontrast (external link)

ReflektionsPhotography
363 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 03, 2010 14:05 |  #56
bannedPermanent ban

I've actually also worked with some Microsoft guys who actually told me that they could release a bunch of extra features in patches, but they choose not to, because they need some good stuff to release with other patches and stuff. @_@

I guess you can't show your hand all at once, eh?

Canon 5D Mark II, 1D Mark IV, 580EX II x2, PW Flex TT1 & TT5s (x2), Canon 17-40L (for sale), 24-70L (for sale), 70-200L 2.8 mark ii, 135L, 100 usm macro, Sigma 50 1.4,. Software: Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS4. WTB: 16-35 2.8 ii, Sigma 85 1.4

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 03, 2010 17:41 |  #57

Blackwood wrote in post #10653488 (external link)
Do you think that's true even towards the end of a system's life cycle (e.g. a few months before a refresh rather than a few months after)?

It was a couple of weeks ago when I built my i7 hackintosh with the same cpu as the 27" iMac.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

dlpasco
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 03, 2010 18:59 |  #58

Tony-S wrote in post #10656168 (external link)
It was a couple of weeks ago when I built my i7 hackintosh with the same cpu as the 27" iMac.

Do you know what the legal status of hackintosh is these days?

Dan

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 03, 2010 19:40 |  #59

I used to be into all the custom building and so on, and then bought a Macbook Pro last year. I haven't had the urge or desire to ever use a windows based PC again, and in fact I even quit a job around that time because of their unwillingness to let me use my Mac on the job (for something that could have easily been done on an Apple computer). Not sure what was up with that, but yeah.

I'm over Windows-based machines. I used them for the better part of my life (at LEAST 15 years) and have no desire to return to them.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 03, 2010 21:02 |  #60

EdWood wrote in post #10480146 (external link)
Be sure to get a 7200 rpm drive and as much memory as you can afford.

You will never go back to windoz.

I did :D

Jason

sponsored links

6,421 views & 0 likes for this thread
Moving to Apple?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.