Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Jul 2010 (Monday) 09:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

where to buy canvas for prints? printing tips

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 19, 2010 09:26 |  #1

I'm purchasing a Canon Pixma 9000, and I'd like to use it for printing onto canvas.

(yes I searched here)
Can someone suggest where to buy the canvas?

Also, any suggestions/tips on canvas printing? Are different settings required? I imaging the are print profiles for the canvas. There doesn't seem to be much info on POTN about canvas printing, maybe most people just hire it out from White House, MPix, etc.

Thanks, Tom

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

sponsored links
ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 19, 2010 09:33 |  #2

Can a Canon 9000 handle canvas?

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

tomd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 19, 2010 09:53 |  #3

ChasP505 wrote in post #10563561 (external link)
Can a Canon 9000 handle canvas?

not sure, I thought so, based on a thread I read here.
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9186285&p​ostcount=6
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=10392534&p​ostcount=3

maybe not...

jgogums
729 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 03, 2010 19:38 |  #4

If you have the 9000mkII then it will handle any media up to 1.2mm thick. If you have the original 9000 printer then I'd check the manual just to be sure.

I've printed on canvas with my 9500mkII (the primary difference is 9500mkII uses pigment ink and 9000mkII uses dyes). I'm no expert but I've done a bit of research here and other places and here is what I've found.

Loading the canvas via the front tray is easy but you do need to follow the directions on lifting the front door "up" as it is swinging "down" and into position. This will engage the front feed mechanism allowing for a straight path through the printer. Allowing the front door simply to open as if you are loading paper via the rear tray is won't work.

I've had a hard time finding ICC profiles for the 9500mkII from manuf. of inkjet ready canvas. Epson is wildly supported as are the higher end Canon and HP's but less so with our model printer at the moment.

The only stuff I found locally was at an Art store and it was from a brand called Fredrix. Straight forward 8.5x11 inkjet ready canvas. No ICC profiles though. I bought a pack anyway and ran a couple prints using the following settings:
- Photoshop handles color management
- Canon print driver set to "none" for color management
- Paper type was Photo Matte
- ICC profile was set to Canon's Fine Art Matte
- rendering was "perceptual"
- black point compression checked to "on"

Print of my girlfriend and her dog at sunset came out great. I stretched it over a 6x9 frame and gave it to her and she loves it.

Since our printers do not support rolls of paper/canvas, we are limited to finding pre-cut sheets. I finally hunted down Moab Anasazi Matte Canvas via B&H photo in 13x19 sheets. The good thing is you can download their ICC profile for this media and your Pixma 9000 (http://moabpaper.com/i​cc-profiles-downloads/canon/ (external link))
I currently have the Anasazi canvas on order from B&H http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …azi&N=0&Initial​Search=yes (external link) and will use their ICC profile to run some larger prints.

Also, wrapping your image around the stretcher bar looks great but you will lose some of your image that way as it 'falls of the face' and wraps around. If you want to preserve as much content as possible you can use photoshop to enlarge your canvas on all four sides the same amount you'll need to wrap around the frame. Now fill in this 'blank' space by duplicating the edge of your image and doing a flip horizontal/vertical command. Choices, choices, choices...:)

Lastly, selecting 'photo matte' as your "media" in the printer driver dialog will allow you to print on your canvas with no pre-defined border limits. Selecting 'canvas' or any of the 'fine art' media choices will automatically give you a 35mm border. I didn't want that much of a border so the good folks around the web suggested the work around, which is telling the printer you have photo matte paper loaded and not a specialty paper.
Note: the 35mm border is there, presumably, to protect the printer head from coming in contact with media that might curl up on the edges as the ink is applied. Thus, I still allow for a 1/4 inch border when I'm setting up my dimensions and I don't select "borderless" printing. So far I've had no problems.

I finish the print off with a Krylon UV Protective Gloss coating. I found it protects the print from finger prints, dirt, etc. but also helps keep the ink from flaking off in tiny little flecks.

Hope some of this helps...and good luck!

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 03, 2010 20:05 |  #5

Check out Red River Paper as well. The buy bulk OEM paper and cut it up themselves for their own label.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

jgogums
729 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 03, 2010 20:17 |  #6

Red River is great! I use their paper, but sadly they don't sell canvas...

They do sell a photo paper that is textured like canvas, but you don't stretch it over bars. Hell...maybe that is what the OP wants! I assumed he meant printing on canvas weave...:p

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 04, 2010 04:57 |  #7

Hahnemuhle offer at least two different canvases, Daguerre at 400 sgm and Monet at 410 sgm. Monet is a firmer material with a creamy white, Daguerre is softer, with a brilliant white. Epson do at least one and I'd be very surprised if Canon did not.

As with normal paper, the media is only half the battle, you need to make sure before buying that ICC profiles are available for your printer.

I struggled to print canvas on my Epson R2880 until another user suggested I needed a card "leader" taped to the canvas, it solved my problems immediately.

Also, if you want to display the print in the normal canvas way of stretching over a frame, you need a big border.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

tomd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 04, 2010 08:51 |  #8

thanks for all these suggestions!
keep em' coming.

wysiwyg59
284 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 04, 2010 22:00 as a reply to  @ tomd's post |  #9

Premier Art has canvas paper, satin or gloss. I use their paper in my Canon Pro9000 for a few years now. I also use their Eco Print Shield to "coat" the canvas. It protects it's from UV and liquids.

Rick
Canon A1, 7D2, 40D, Canon G12, Sony NEX-5N
Canon 70-200 IS F2.8 L, Canon 35mm f1.4 L, EF-S 18-200mm, EF-S 10-22mm
wysiwyg@hickorytech.ne​t (external link)

sponsored links

2,583 views & 0 likes for this thread
where to buy canvas for prints? printing tips
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.