Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 05 Aug 2010 (Thursday) 19:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Whoa Hoo Going to Aspen Co

dano57
793 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 05, 2010 19:49 |  #1

My son and I are headed to Aspen for a photography and fly fishing get away in a couple of weeks, any recommendations on photography subjects in the area?

Dan - Central Oklahoma
www.imagesbywest.net (external link)
www.classychassisphoto​.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/ClassyChassisPhoto (external link)

sponsored links
flyfisher
Goldmember
1,056 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 05, 2010 20:19 |  #2

Maroon Bells in snowmass wilderness area is a clasic photo spot.

Steve

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,287 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 06, 2010 07:07 |  #3

Lots to see around Aspen, with a little driving. Maroon Bells at/shortly after sunrise is a must. Independence Pass has some opportunities, as well as Twin Lakes and Leadville. I've driven up Aspen Mountain in the summer, great views. The ghost town near Aspen (Ashcroft?) is very interesting and scenic. You may want to drive to Redstone and Marble, where you could visit Crystal Mill and Crystal City. (That requires a 4WD but you can hire one in Marble.) My gallery has samples of all these.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 06, 2010 13:47 |  #4

Maroon Bells is now a mandatoty bus ride up there. They don't let you drive your own car up because of the huge ammount of folks wanting to shoot it. You can hike up if you want more time to shoot. Otherwise the bus ride is it.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

shaftmaster
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 06, 2010 13:58 |  #5

ChasWG wrote in post #10673901 (external link)
Maroon Bells is now a mandatoty bus ride up there. They don't let you drive your own car up because of the huge ammount of folks wanting to shoot it. You can hike up if you want more time to shoot. Otherwise the bus ride is it.

I thought you could drive up if you left early enough (before the bus starts running). I was able to do that, but it was five years ago.

Paul

Gear -- Flickr (external link)

dano57
THREAD ­ STARTER
793 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 06, 2010 18:34 |  #6

Stan, very nice gallery, so I assume that the Bells will lie to the west at sunrise? Also, just checked and according to the Forrest service website the bus up starts at 9 am before that you can drive in which will be my choice, we have a 4 x 5 view camera I plan to use some on this trip and would hat to lug that and my digital on the bus!

I am checking everything out so keep those ideas coming...

Dan - Central Oklahoma
www.imagesbywest.net (external link)
www.classychassisphoto​.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/ClassyChassisPhoto (external link)

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,287 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 06, 2010 20:36 |  #7

Dan, I've always gone early and drove up. A 4x5 should do an awesome job there for you. Too bad about the timing. Wildflowers are past their peak and it's too early for fall color. Bummer, you'll have to go again.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
11,281 posts
Gallery: 301 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2004

Aug 17, 2010 20:53 |  #8

Dan - Looking forward to seeing some photos once you get back... I took my family to Aspen about a week ago, but our trip was for the world-famous Aspen Music Festival so I only had time for some quick family snap shots.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

sponsored links

1,309 views & 0 likes for this thread
Whoa Hoo Going to Aspen Co
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.