Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Aug 2010 (Friday) 14:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DIV vs 5DII

jamesb
383 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 06, 2010 14:04 |  #1

Yep, two body comparisons for ya. I'm sure you read the title and thought, "Not Again!" LOL, I just signed up on here and it looks like a good place to start. I've shot weddings with a friend of mine who is a wedding photographer for a while now. I mainly stayed in the 2nd shooter role while just recently moving into more of an authority position with posistioning and getting some of my own shots. I've come to really enjoy doing this and i'm learning a lot. I've done at least 10-12 weddings with him now and he has let me take control of the last few so I can see what it feels like to be the primary shooter. I've gone home and looked at my files to see what worked, what didn't, and how I might be able to better capture the shot which is very helpful in my learning.

Anyways, he is double booked in September so I will be the 1st shooter for two weddings back to back (Friday and Saturday). I also have another wedding myself in October. I will have 2nd shooters with me on both weddings in September. I'm looking at picking up some more gear for September. I make it a point to go out hours early to scope the locations, write down some ideas at each place and test a few photos out to see how it looks. I'm getting in the habbit of doing this because it seems to make the day go smoother having a plan. Obviously, it doesn't always go perfect, but so far I have enjoyed every wedding i've shot with him and I seem to get better and better as I go.

Currently I have:

Canon 1D Mark III
Canon 50D w/ grip
Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
Canon 70-200 f/4L
Canon 17-40 f/4L
Canon 580EX
Canon 430EXII
Elinchrom Skyport transceiver/receiver (for off camera flash)

In talking with my dad, I think he is loaning me some $$ to pick up some gear. Figure my budget is no more than $8k:
These are the two different ideas i'm thinking of going with.

Package 1:
1DIV
70-200 2.8 IS II
50 1.4
memory cards

OR:

Package 2:
5DII w/ 2 spare batteries
70-200 2.8 IS II
100-400 4.5-5.6 IS (more for me, not weddings)
50 1.4
15 2.8 fisheye
memory cards and lens UV filters

I think either would give me a pretty damn good overall kit. Also, with either kit, I would sell my 70-200 f/4 and pick up a 580EXII.

I'm just debating for low light stuff would I be better picking up Package 2 for the FF 5D Mark II as well as more glass instead of Package 1 which gives me the 1D Mark IV and less glass?

Any ideas are welcome. I love the ruggedness of the 1D bodies and i'm really leaning towards the new 1D. I also prefer the SD card slot in the 1D series. Makes doing slideshows at the reception w/ JPEG images very easy.

So what would be your suggestions as to what will give me the best value while also giving me awesome quality? I'm talking about noise quality, focusing ability in low light, and video to mess around with.

Some of my work for critique/and to give you an idea of how I shoot:

IMAGE: http://www.annandalephotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/MelissaMike-121.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.annandalephotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/MelissaMike-116.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.annandalephotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/MelissaMike-131.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.annandalephotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/LILY7.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.annandalephotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/LILY4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.annandalephotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/LILY33.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.annandalephotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/LILY29.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.annandalephotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/LILY23.jpg

Canon gear
CT Wedding Photographer
www.jamesbernatchez.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
jamesb
THREAD ­ STARTER
383 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 06, 2010 14:06 |  #2

Few more shots:

IMAGE: http://www.annandalephotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/MicheleSchott-106.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.annandalephotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/MicheleSchott-125.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.annandalephotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/MicheleSchott-174.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.annandalephotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/KristyKeelan-129.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.annandalephotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/MicheleSchott-641.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.annandalephotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/KristyKeelan-113.jpg

Canon gear
CT Wedding Photographer

btmlinedan
Goldmember
1,559 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 06, 2010 14:13 |  #3

ok so i gotta ask. what can't you do w/ the 1dmk3 that you are going to be able to do w/ the 1dmk4 or 5dmk2?

In all honesty : i would sell the 70-200 f4 and pick up a used 70-200 f2.8 IS (not the II version). Keep the 1dmk3, sell the gripped 50d, and pick up a 5dmk2. the glass you have is perfect. maybe a 50mm f1.4 down the line but you have more than enough equipment to pull off weddings...hell i've seen more done with less.

I could be wrong here but I think you're just looking for an excuse to get some 'newer' gear when what you have is perfectly fine. that being said, the 1dmk3 and 5dmk2 probably have very similiar high iso's and the mk4 is probably overkill for 'weddings'. just depends on if that's all you are going to shoot, but I dont' see a need here for you to dip the 1dmk3 for the 4 version.

just my 2 cents. and if you decide to sell the mk3, lmk, im looking.

*dan l *Flickr (external link) l *cars: dkfx Photography (external link) l weddings: Blue Martini Photography (external link) l YN622C tranceiver review (external link)

jamesb
THREAD ­ STARTER
383 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 06, 2010 14:19 |  #4

btmlinedan wrote in post #10674022 (external link)
ok so i gotta ask. what can't you do w/ the 1dmk3 that you are going to be able to do w/ the 1dmk4 or 5dmk2?

In all honesty : i would sell the 70-200 f4 and pick up a used 70-200 f2.8 IS (not the II version). Keep the 1dmk3, sell the gripped 50d, and pick up a 5dmk2. the glass you have is perfect. maybe a 50mm f1.4 down the line but you have more than enough equipment to pull off weddings...hell i've seen more done with less.

I could be wrong here but I think you're just looking for an excuse to get some 'newer' gear when what you have is perfectly fine. that being said, the 1dmk3 and 5dmk2 probably have very similiar high iso's and the mk4 is probably overkill for 'weddings'. just depends on if that's all you are going to shoot, but I dont' see a need here for you to dip the 1dmk3 for the 4 version.

just my 2 cents. and if you decide to sell the mk3, lmk, im looking.

Who doesn't like getting new gear? :lol:

I would use the new camera as well as my 1D3 with my 50D as a third body backup.

I want one of the new cameras to dabble in video (airplanes, motorycling, etc). I'm also looking at a new body for better ISO and larger files (for the stuff I want to blow up to poster size). The 5DII appeals to me for the full frame and huge files it produces. The 1DIV appeals to me because of the speed, quick focusing, and feel. I don't just use this gear for weddings. I also shoot my hobbies and other things as well. I think i'll like the 5DII, I just feel if I get it I will wish I got the 1DIV after using the 1D3 as my main body.

Canon gear
CT Wedding Photographer

btmlinedan
Goldmember
1,559 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 06, 2010 14:32 |  #5

We all like geting new gear, It just seems silly to borrow money to upgrade gear out of want, not necessity. maybe pick up the 70-200 f2.8 IS, the 50mm f1.4, and the 100mm macro and call it a day...i personally think what you have is more than capable of producing the images your after. but if you need video, i guess it's time to upgrade.

for me, im a 1d fan, and the 5dmk2's AF and 9 point system is just archaic. I couldn't go back to that....but the high iso is incredible, just depends on what is important to you.

lmk when that 1dmk3's for sale.

*dan l *Flickr (external link) l *cars: dkfx Photography (external link) l weddings: Blue Martini Photography (external link) l YN622C tranceiver review (external link)

jamesb
THREAD ­ STARTER
383 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 06, 2010 14:38 |  #6

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I'm talking to my dad on Monday so i'll see what he is thinking. I don't NEED all that gear. I do WANT it all, but who doesn't. LOL!

I enjoy shooting airplanes and animals which is why I have the 100-400 in one of my packages.

Canon gear
CT Wedding Photographer

btmlinedan
Goldmember
1,559 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 06, 2010 15:24 |  #7

put together what you need to get paid : then with the money you get paid, buy the things you want. that's typically how any job goes.

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 06, 2010 15:39 |  #8

jamesb wrote in post #10673967 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Ha, I know the guy on the far right side of this photo...

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

Bradfordguy
941 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 06, 2010 15:56 as a reply to  @ timnosenzo's post |  #9

I would sell the 50D and the 70-200F4. Keep the 1DIII and add a 5DII. This will give you two excellent bodies. Must have 2 to do wedding work. I would also buy a 70-200 2.8 IS MKII, I think it's like a sac full of primes. Having the FF will also seem like you have another set of lenses due to the crop factor, really gets more out of your glass. I would also likely sell the 17-40 and replace it with a 16-35 2.8L. I think 2.8 is a necessity in wedding gigs in case of poor lighting. I would also want 3x 580 EXII flashes and a radio trigger of some type for off camera work. So:
1DIII
5DII
16-35L
24-70L
70-200 MKII
580EXII x3
Quite the kit I would think.

G10, 7D gripped, 17-55 2.8 IS , 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, EF 85 1.8, 105 2.8 EX Sigma Macro, 1.4 TC , 580 EXII, 430 EX, ST-E2

jamesb
THREAD ­ STARTER
383 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 06, 2010 16:52 |  #10

I'm also thinking what about the possiblity of picking up:

1DsMKIII w/ 70-200 MKII

Then sell the 50D w/ grip, Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 (didn't list it prior cause I rarely use it), 70-200F/4 and get three 580EXIIs and the 15mm fisheye. That would give me:

1DsIII
1DIII
17-40L
24-70L
70-200 MKII
15mm fisheye
580EXII x3
430EXII

I don't use the 17-40 enough in low light to warrent the extra $$ for the 16-35L right now. Maybe in a year or so.

Canon gear
CT Wedding Photographer

Bradfordguy
941 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 06, 2010 17:04 as a reply to  @ jamesb's post |  #11

The 1DsIII would be great but they are still going for a fair dollar for good ones. You wouldn't gain much in IQ but the AF is like a dog on a bone in that line. I had a 1DsII for a while and trust me the AF is not overhyped. I have never had much use for fisheye lenses but it may have value to you.

G10, 7D gripped, 17-55 2.8 IS , 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, EF 85 1.8, 105 2.8 EX Sigma Macro, 1.4 TC , 580 EXII, 430 EX, ST-E2

jamesb
THREAD ­ STARTER
383 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 06, 2010 17:11 |  #12

I'm also considering keeping the 70-200 f/4 because mine really is super sharp and getting the 135L instead of the 70-200 f/2.8 II. A bit more moving around but cheaper, and supposed to be an exceptional lens. And i'll still have the 70-200 f/4 if I need more zoom for outdoor stuff.

This is my list right now:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com/wl/35EDCEB995 (external link)

Canon gear
CT Wedding Photographer

dKweddings.net
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 06, 2010 17:18 |  #13

If it comes down to 1DIV vs 1Ds3. I'd recommend 1Ds3 for the full frame option it gives you. I'd totally recommend the 70-200 II.

So Package 1, but 1Ds3 instead. A used 1Ds3 is cheaper than a new 1DIV!

-David

www.dKweddings.net (external link) || www.facebook.com/dKwed​dings (external link) || www.facebook.com/david​ucla (external link)

banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 06, 2010 17:21 |  #14

the biggest problem i have with 5D2 is ISO noise banding. does 1D4 have that problem?

Flickr (external link)

jamesb
THREAD ­ STARTER
383 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 06, 2010 17:30 |  #15

dKweddings.net wrote in post #10674927 (external link)
If it comes down to 1DIV vs 1Ds3. I'd recommend 1Ds3 for the full frame option it gives you. I'd totally recommend the 70-200 II.

So Package 1, but 1Ds3 instead. A used 1Ds3 is cheaper than a new 1DIV!

-David

That might be a good idea. I'm just warry of buying a $5k used camera. Adorama has them refurbished for $5k on ebay. Same as their site. Would you feel comfortable buying it refurbished from Adorama (not the ebay store)

http://cgi.ebay.com …664909?pt=Digit​al_Cameras (external link)

Canon gear
CT Wedding Photographer

sponsored links

4,738 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DIV vs 5DII
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.