Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Aug 2010 (Sunday) 09:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon lenses and sticky zooms ?

David_S
201 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 08, 2010 09:02 |  #1

I recently purchased a used 17-85mm as a replacement for my 18-55mm kit lens that I traded for a 50mm 1.8 (another story). The 17-85mm zoom is smooth if zoomed rather quickly from one end to the other but when zooming slowly or stopping in the middle and restarting it is very stiff and jerky. I've talked to two people selling the same lens and and both of theirs have some time of binding tho not as bad as my copy it seems. After doing numerous internet searches (which may or may not be valid since it is the internet) it seems there are many of these lenses that exhibit sticky zooms as well as many other Canon zoom lenses. I'm new to Canon so I'm wondering if this is the norm and maybe it's from the weather sealing? My 55-250 is nice and smooth but I don't think it's sealed. I'm looking for a lens to cover the wider end with a bit more coverage than the 18-55mm. I really didn't want to spend for the 15-85mm but would if it has a smooth zoom but from appearnce it looks pretty similar to the 17-85mm in build. Any suggestions on a good quality smooth zoom in the range similar to the 17-85mm? I've uploaded a video to show how bad my copy of the 17-85mm is. The video itself is garbage but you can see and hear the sticky zoom HERE (external link). If you've read this far thanks and if you have any suggestions thanks again.

DS

http://davidsprague.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Aug 08, 2010 09:09 |  #2

All of my Canon zoom lenses ("L" family lenses) are perfectly smooth. My suspicion is that the reason the lens you bought was sold was because the owner did not like it for one reason or another, but I seriously doubt that the stickiness is something you'd find in most (if not all) of the brand-new copies you could find to purchase.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Destractions
391 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 08, 2010 09:36 |  #3

You are right on this. My 17-85mm would zoom pretty jerky as well depending on the speed. I find the upgraded 17-55mm to be better but not by a bunch. Strangely I was in a camera store yesterday playing around with a $200 used sigma 28-300mm Super zoom that more than doubled in length over it's zoom and it felt smoother than both. I also had a very inexpensive tokina 24-200mm that zoomed smoother in most respects.

The unholy trinity:
EF 70-200mm F4 \ & Tamron-F 2X TC
EFS 17-55mm f/2.8
EFS 10-22mm

David_S
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 08, 2010 09:44 |  #4

Destractions wrote in post #10681922 (external link)
You are right on this. My 17-85mm would zoom pretty jerky as well depending on the speed. I find the upgraded 17-55mm to be better but not by a bunch. Strangely I was in a camera store yesterday playing around with a $200 used sigma 28-300mm Super zoom that more than doubled in length over it's zoom and it felt smoother than both. I also had a very inexpensive tokina 24-200mm that zoomed smoother in most respects.

That's kinda what has me bumming. I recently sold all of my Sony gear because I wanted video capability so I purchased the T2i now I'm getting bummed by the lens issue. All my Sony lenses where very smooth as well as my third party lenses including a Tamron 18-250mm. I really don't want to move to a third party super zoom because I'm really happy with the Canon 55-250mm as it's probably one of the best budget lenses I've used as far as IQ and bokeh are concerned. I also really love the Canon IS system versus the Sony in body IS. L lenses are not an option because of price and the fact I'm just a recreational shooter.

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 08, 2010 14:39 |  #5

David_S wrote in post #10681957 (external link)
That's kinda what has me bumming. I recently sold all of my Sony gear because I wanted video capability so I purchased the T2i now I'm getting bummed by the lens issue. All my Sony lenses where very smooth as well as my third party lenses including a Tamron 18-250mm. I really don't want to move to a third party super zoom because I'm really happy with the Canon 55-250mm as it's probably one of the best budget lenses I've used as far as IQ and bokeh are concerned. I also really love the Canon IS system versus the Sony in body IS. L lenses are not an option because of price and the fact I'm just a recreational shooter.

I must be misunderstanding your post. Why do you have to switch to a 3rd party superzoom at all ? If you're happy with 55-250, that is. Sounds like your only problem is with 17-85.

I have Tamron 17-50 non-VC (about $350) and played with the "new" 18-55 IS Canon kit lens (brand new sells dirt cheap). Both zoom smoothly. Both very nicely complement 55-250 in focal range. Tamron is definitely a better lens but the kit isn't at all bad, either. There's also a Sigma in the same focal range at about the same price, also supposedly with excellent IQ. A combo of any of these and 55-250 is going to be better than any superzoom.

I don't care that much about lenses being weather sealed - your T2i body isn't really weather sealed. Some rain getting on the lenses isn't going to hurt. Heavy rain or just a drop in a really bad place would likely screw up the camera before the lens.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,048 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 08, 2010 14:46 |  #6

i'd zoom it in and out a whole bunch of times to try and see if that loosens it up a bit...it seems a little strange though, i've never noticed that on any of my lenses

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

David_S
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 08, 2010 17:10 |  #7

Thanks DreDaze I tried that but but it didn't help. Cleaned the barrel, blew everything off good etc.

Amamba I think you did misunderstand my post or perhaps I'm poor at explaining which is probably the case. I don't want to switch to a 3rd part superzoom because I am happy with the 55-250. I'm just looking to cover the wide end but I would like to go longer than the 18-55 to keep from switching lenses a lot. Maybe my 17-85mm is just a bum copy but I can't find anything in stock local to try out in person.

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 08, 2010 18:05 |  #8

David_S wrote in post #10683819 (external link)
Thanks DreDaze I tried that but but it didn't help. Cleaned the barrel, blew everything off good etc.

Amamba I think you did misunderstand my post or perhaps I'm poor at explaining which is probably the case. I don't want to switch to a 3rd part superzoom because I am happy with the 55-250. I'm just looking to cover the wide end but I would like to go longer than the 18-55 to keep from switching lenses a lot. Maybe my 17-85mm is just a bum copy but I can't find anything in stock local to try out in person.

Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 18-50 are both exceptionally good and reasonably priced lenses.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

phreeky
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 08, 2010 18:27 |  #9

That shouldn't rule out a superzoom though, assuming it's strong side is the wide end of its range.

Maybe consider the Sigma 17-70 which is reasonably priced and supposedly quite a nice lens. Or if you don't use the wider end of the 18-55 much then perhaps a Tamron 28-75 or equivalent.

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 10, 2010 08:41 |  #10

After reading this and checking my own lenses I've come to a conclusion. Zooming while recording video is a bad idea.

I have a couple of USM zooms, including the 17-85. If I hold them any other way besides normal still photo shooting position I don't get a smooth zooming. I've never noticed it while shooting stills before.

I think if you want to zoom while shooting, something I hate btw, then you are going to have to spring for an 'L' zoom.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

David_S
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 19, 2010 05:50 |  #11

Well it seems some 17-85's are better than others. The first one I bought was terrible so I returned it. The second one I scored off of ebay is a Canon refurb and there is just the slightest hitch around 24mm but smooth every where else. Not silky smooth by any means but it doesn't stick just is stiffer than non sealed lenses that I have used.

DS

sponsored links

4,684 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon lenses and sticky zooms ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.