Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Aug 2010 (Saturday) 09:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you have dead pixels on your G11 LCD?

ZCphoto
426 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 07, 2010 09:55 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I just purchased a G11 from BB yesterday. Putting it through the tests everything is fine except for one dead pixel right in the center of the screen (not CCD). Is this a common occurence witht the G11 that I should just accept?

Robert
5D MKII I 1D MKIII I 7D I G11 I S90gear list sales feedback

sponsored links
the ­ jimmy
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 07, 2010 11:26 |  #2

ZCphoto wrote in post #10677764 (external link)
I just purchased a G11 from BB yesterday. Putting it through the tests everything is fine except for one dead pixel right in the center of the screen (not CCD). Is this a common occurence witht the G11 that I should just accept?

Nothing on mine...it's got to be really small, but I guess once you see it, it stands out

ZCphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
426 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 07, 2010 11:37 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

It is very small. Its a small black dot right in the center of the LCD. No big deal but I'm just curious to see if Canon's QC generally allows for dead LCD pixels. I'm returning it today.

Robert
5D MKII I 1D MKIII I 7D I G11 I S90gear list sales feedback

kezug
729 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 07, 2010 14:22 |  #4

ZCphoto wrote in post #10678115 (external link)
It is very small. Its a small black dot right in the center of the LCD. No big deal but I'm just curious to see if Canon's QC generally allows for dead LCD pixels. I'm returning it today.

I would return it...this is not common.

Camera's: 70D, G12 | Len's: 18-135mm IS STM, 55-250mm IS STM, 50mm f/1.8 II | Photos:flickr (external link)

arg245
827 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 08, 2010 09:49 |  #5

All LCD panels may at one point or another have "dead" pixels, so it is not uncommon. That being said, they usually develop over time, and it is unusual for a new panel to exhibit one so readily. But as a previous poster said, once you notice it, you can't help but keep on noticing it.

I would return it to BB immediately, and get another G11. Don't waste time - no sense in giving BB an excuse to force you to return it for service rather than exchanging it right at the store. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think BB's policy on camera returns is 15 days, not the usual 30 typical for electronics.

---------------
Andy Garcia
Google+ (external link) | Zenfolio (external link)

tware
183 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 14, 2010 11:51 |  #6

I just had to buy 3 S90s to find one that didnt have hot pixels on the sensor, 2 of those cams had stuck pixels on the LCD as well. I fully understand the nature of dead/hot pixels.. but I'm not sending a brand new cam to have them mapped out (which should have been done before the camera left the factory). As for the LCDs, that is just annoying over time. I wouldnt hesitate to swap it... especially since you just paid a rather large premium to purchase it locally for this very reason, convenience if there was an issue. Now, if you got it cheap and were looking at large restocking fee, a dead pixels is easier to accept :)

matthewm
363 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 18, 2010 23:32 |  #7

It's fairly common and unfortunately manufacturers have a certain percentage of dead pixels that they allow. Say, 1/2 of a percent or so. Still, I'd take it and exchange it if it's bothering you. I had a dead pixel on an XTi that I had and I just tried to ignore it and over a period of about 4 months it grew exponentially. Fortunately I worked at Ritz Camera at the time and was able to swap it out free of charge, but it was interesting to see the spread of dead pixels.

Swap it out. Better safe than sorry.

sponsored links

5,135 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you have dead pixels on your G11 LCD?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.