Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Aug 2010 (Sunday) 13:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there purple/blue in this photo?

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 08, 2010 13:14 |  #1

Hello folks.
I recently got a calibrator and I'm really pleased with how my display looks. I've downloaded lots of test images with plenty of faces and gray scales (in other words, lots of opportunities to see color casts) and I think they look great on the screen. And I've printed all of those test images many times, using different settings on the same paper, and I'm thrilled to death with my printer. So as of yesterday, I feel like I'm doing great with the color on my screen and my printer, and they match, and everything's just hunky-dory!

Today, I printed this photo,

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

and I see definite blue or purple in that background that just looks like a perfect combination of grays, browns, and other natural stuff on my screen. So I'd like to know if other people see the blue or purple in the background.

Thanks
P.S. This image was sized as 1024x683. Why is it so huge here?

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 08, 2010 13:25 |  #2

ncjohn wrote in post #10682798 (external link)
and I see definite blue or purple in that background that just looks like a perfect combination of grays, browns, and other natural stuff on my screen. So I'd like to know if other people see the blue or purple in the background.

A bit of blue, like reflection of a blue sky in some leaves on the ground.

ncjohn wrote in post #10682798 (external link)
P.S. This image was sized as 1024x683. Why is it so huge here?

Because it's 1024x683?

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 08, 2010 15:57 |  #3

It looks good. The very slight blue on the leaves seem to be from the sky or perhaps ambient light. If you are happy with the prints, then everything is fine.

7D, 5DII

theelectrician
388 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 08, 2010 16:54 |  #4

I don't see any blue. I see wet brown leaves that are maybe reflecting some light that look blue/grayish

Photography is like a drug and I think I need an intervention.
50D w/BG-E2 - Sigma 30 f/1.4 - Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 - Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon 430exII - Slik 500DX and Smith-Victor BH5 Ball Head

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 08, 2010 19:48 |  #5

René Damkot wrote in post #10682849 (external link)
Because it's 1024x683?

My screen is 1440x900, so when I open the picture normally, it fits well within the screen. But on the forum, I have to scroll to see it all.

:D And I just realized it's because I have my browser enlarged for reading on the web!:D Hah!
...never mind...

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 08, 2010 19:51 as a reply to  @ ncjohn's post |  #6

Well, you know, after reading your responses, I guess I can see it too. I sure didn't see it on my monitor before. It's amazing how a print of something makes you see things you don't see on the monitor. At least it does for me.
Thanks folks.

cmchavis
160 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 08, 2010 21:02 |  #7

ncjohn wrote in post #10684583 (external link)
Well, you know, after reading your responses, I guess I can see it too. I sure didn't see it on my monitor before. It's amazing how a print of something makes you see things you don't see on the monitor. At least it does for me.
Thanks folks.

It's easy enough to check with either photoshop or WatchColours. The background colors in LAB are mostly -B channel (Blue) with +A channel (red) which is violet. Doesn't look bad, but it is violet. When I say mostly, I see just as much +A-B as I see all the other combinations combined.

tim
Light Bringer
50,977 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 08, 2010 21:25 |  #8

It's a bit dark isn't it?

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 08, 2010 21:31 |  #9

cmchavis wrote in post #10684910 (external link)
It's easy enough to check with either photoshop or WatchColours. The background colors in LAB are mostly -B channel (Blue) with +A channel (red) which is violet. Doesn't look bad, but it is violet. When I say mostly, I see just as much +A-B as I see all the other combinations combined.

Are you referring to the "info" tool in PS? (Doesn't really matter, since I don't have PS, just curious.:)) I've never heard of Watchcolours, and can't find it on the internet.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 08, 2010 21:38 |  #10

tim wrote in post #10685011 (external link)
It's a bit dark isn't it?

To me it's perfect. Except for the blue; I don't think I like the blue. But I like the density.

tim
Light Bringer
50,977 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 08, 2010 21:40 |  #11

As long as you get a nice print that's all that matters! On my screen though it's a little dark.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

cmchavis
160 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 08, 2010 22:26 |  #12

ncjohn wrote in post #10685039 (external link)
Are you referring to the "info" tool in PS? (Doesn't really matter, since I don't have PS, just curious.:)) I've never heard of Watchcolours, and can't find it on the internet.

Yeah, I use PS - so yeah, the info tool and LAB color mode. I'm sure there are other apps out there that use LAB, but PS is what I use.

ColourWatch (external link) was written by a guy who appears to know quite a bit about color correction and using LAB color mode. I don't use it that often, but it comes in handy because you don't have to load photos up into photoshop anymore to see the colors since it shows you the value under the mouse cursor anywhere in windows.

Again, I like the image though and wouldn't say it's bad, I'd play with the colors and luminosity to get a more natural look, but it's not my call. But seeing that everything is wet - the rain does bring out a certain saturation that isn't found at other times.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 08, 2010 23:07 as a reply to  @ cmchavis's post |  #13

Thanks for that info. I'm going to take a look at ColourWatch; I've wished more than once that Gimp had that info tool.

And actually... everything wasn't wet in the photo.:) It had rained within the last few days, but things were pretty dry by the time I went out. I seem to have a knack for making my nature shots look that way. That's not the goal, I just play with the photo until I like it, and that's how they wind up. One of my favorites is of some tree roots that look horribly dry, dusty, and boring in the original shot. I started playing with it, trying to make something, anything, out of it, and the first thing I knew, the colors just popped out and it looked like everything was wet. I loved it!

cmchavis
160 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 08, 2010 23:55 |  #14

ncjohn wrote in post #10685467 (external link)
Thanks for that info. I'm going to take a look at ColourWatch; I've wished more than once that Gimp had that info tool.

While not exactly the Info tool that Photoshop has - Gimp has the Pointer Information dialog that works well enough. It'll even do the Sample Points that the info palette does.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 25, 2010 22:15 |  #15

cmchavis wrote in post #10685686 (external link)
While not exactly the Info tool that Photoshop has - Gimp has the Pointer Information dialog that works well enough. It'll even do the Sample Points that the info palette does.

Came back to this thread to find the name of that dialog again and saw that I never said thanks. It's a useful tool. So thanks!:)

sponsored links

1,389 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there purple/blue in this photo?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.