Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 24 Jul 2010 (Saturday) 20:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bride in a bathtub? Why not.

YankeeMom
Goldmember
3,118 posts
Gallery: 312 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 01, 2010 10:41 |  #46

picturecrazy wrote in post #10641290 (external link)
Thanks for your input. There's sure a lot that you don't like! Thank goodness I didn't shoot your wedding! LOL!! I'm not a fan of tilting either but when shooting at low or high angles then tilt actually mostly improves the compositions in my experience. But if I'm standing on my two feet normally, then I really actively avoid the tilts.

thanks Derrick!

Yes -- a lot has changed since I got married in 1987. Some of it very good, but others I just don't get. I'm fairly traditional, but you have to give the people what they want and selective coloring, tilting, and "getting ready" seem to be it! :)

Kristin
Mom to 11 ~ Still sane and rocking my Canon 5DMkII.
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)
| Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Pinterest (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
picturecrazy
THREAD ­ STARTER
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 01, 2010 10:47 |  #47

YankeeMom wrote in post #10641346 (external link)
Yes -- a lot has changed since I got married in 1987. Some of it very good, but others I just don't get. I'm fairly traditional, but you have to give the people what they want and selective coloring, tilting, and "getting ready" seem to be it! :)

haha, I've been shooting since 1990 and yes, a lot sure has changed. There is much that I don't get either. You take some and leave others and build up your own style. Some love it, and some will hate it. But that's what makes this interesting and fun!

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,932 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 02, 2010 15:23 as a reply to  @ post 10597609 |  #48

LLoyd.. i like them all.. nice job. and i agree, how many different ways can you shoot a dress. cool bathtub shot.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Steffenkrys
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 02, 2010 17:05 |  #49

Love #7, superb!!!

martin2day
103 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 02, 2010 17:15 |  #50

7 is fantastic!

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 02, 2010 20:25 |  #51

beautiful !!! I would hire you!! but I'm a photographer so I won't :)

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

saikit
180 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 04, 2010 14:17 |  #52

I disagree with the negative criticisms in this post.

In fact, #2 is a shot that I tried to get in a few weddings. Nicely executed, Lloyd. (I still don't quite understand the angle tho).

#3, 5, 6, 7, 8 are all first class shots.

What I don't understand is why you need to use that many cameras - Just switch lenses. It's not that hard =P

TORONTO WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER
http://www.saikit.com (external link)

My Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.c​om …otography/24847​3165224628 (external link)

MomTo2
429 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 08, 2010 12:46 |  #53

I like the bride in the bathtub! It was a very creative shot!

www.jillchildsphotogra​phy.com (external link)

captainpenguin
250 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 08, 2010 13:12 |  #54

picturecrazy wrote in post #10597293 (external link)
Thanks, I value your opinion. I have other dress shots but they're so standard that I'm sick of them, so I try to use different angles to add some variety into there.

I'd be interested to know what makes the execution exceptionally poor in 2 though.

It interests me that "You are sick of them" but for the bride they are unique the first time she has seen herself in this type of shot so why deny her that oppurtunity

There's A lady Who's Sure All That Glitters Is Gold
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/captainpenguin/ (external link)
[URL][URL]http://cliff​y366.blogspot.co.uk/[U​RL]

madhatter04
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 08, 2010 15:27 |  #55

captainpenguin wrote in post #10682790 (external link)
It interests me that "You are sick of them" but for the bride they are unique the first time she has seen herself in this type of shot so why deny her that oppurtunity

Photographers are artists, and artists have vision. A wedding photographer's execution should evolve with his vision rather than being cookie cutter for every single wedding.

That being said, I think the entire set is great. They're 'different' and it's important to try new things, and I think the attempts were successful. Otherwise, why stay in the business for so long if you're going to do the same shots over and over? Sure, part of it is offering the bride and groom great photos, but they don't have to be the same every time, nor do you have to compromise yourself to do so.

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

whirligig
280 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 08, 2010 22:58 |  #56

i always look forward to your work... and while photo #2 isn't my fave (mainly because of the towel ring), it is by no means amateur-esque. your photos always leaves me feeling inspired! thanks!

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 08, 2010 23:01 |  #57
bannedPermanent ban

I notice you do a lot of sepia in a lot of your shots, I was wondering if that it was something that was in demand or is it a part of your style?

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

form
"inadequately equipped"
4,929 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 09, 2010 11:00 |  #58

4 is not appealing to me at all: it makes her leg look extremely unattractive by the focal length distortion. I prefer to make the bride's legs look great whenever possible, but certainly avoid making them look ugly.

I respect creativity and I know you're a far better photographer than me, but that photo is just no good to my eyes.

Las Vegas Wedding Photographer: http://www.joeyallenph​oto.com (external link)

picturecrazy
THREAD ­ STARTER
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 11, 2010 10:07 as a reply to  @ form's post |  #59

umphotography wrote in post #10648784 (external link)
LLoyd.. i like them all.. nice job. and i agree, how many different ways can you shoot a dress. cool bathtub shot.

madhatter04 wrote in post #10683356 (external link)
Photographers are artists, and artists have vision. A wedding photographer's execution should evolve with his vision rather than being cookie cutter for every single wedding.

That being said, I think the entire set is great. They're 'different' and it's important to try new things, and I think the attempts were successful. Otherwise, why stay in the business for so long if you're going to do the same shots over and over? Sure, part of it is offering the bride and groom great photos, but they don't have to be the same every time, nor do you have to compromise yourself to do so.

captainpenguin wrote in post #10682790 (external link)

I get bored easily with the same shots over and over. It's a challenge to get different perspectives after shooting the same type of subject over and over and over, like a wedding dress. It's the only way to keep things interesting. But don't worry, I still get the standard boring (to me) shots too for the bride's sake, like this one:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

I just didn't think it was anywhere near post-worthy as it's so standard, and I don't like how you can see patio furniture outside. I couldn't blow out the background any more as it would lose all detail in the dress too. I'd rather have a bunch of people say they hate a shot than post something standard which doesn't illicit any kind of emotional response. :p

saikit wrote in post #10661647 (external link)
I disagree with the negative criticisms in this post.
In fact, #2 is a shot that I tried to get in a few weddings. Nicely executed, Lloyd. (I still don't quite understand the angle tho).

It's an angle I'm also working on, trying to get better and better at it. Here is a more recent attempt at it.

IMAGE: http://www.nightanddayphoto.ca/blog/10/JennRandyW/115727_7402.jpg

-Lloyd
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

picturecrazy
THREAD ­ STARTER
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 11, 2010 10:23 as a reply to  @ picturecrazy's post |  #60

Cheers... thanks for the comments everyone! :)

form wrote in post #10687693 (external link)
4 is not appealing to me at all: it makes her leg look extremely unattractive by the focal length distortion. I prefer to make the bride's legs look great whenever possible, but certainly avoid making them look ugly.

I respect creativity and I know you're a far better photographer than me, but that photo is just no good to my eyes.

Thanks Joey, I value your opinion. It lets me know that I'm doing stuff that isn't common. :) It's not a typical kind of shot, but if you distort reality to a high degree like this one, people know that it's an intended effect and the shape of the legs seem to matter less to people. The reaction I got from the bride and her friends were "whoa that's so neat!". Kinda like a fisheye shot... it usually distorts people to look really weird, but it's such a purposeful effect that the weird bodyshapes are not really criticized.

What can I say, some like it and some hate it but I guess I like weird shots. Keeps me from getting bored. hahaha

Karl Johnston wrote in post #10685449 (external link)
I notice you do a lot of sepia in a lot of your shots, I was wondering if that it was something that was in demand or is it a part of your style?

Yeah, I use lots of sepia. It's part of my style. I'm quite old school in the way I shoot and think. I had to shoot with a colour camera and a BW camera around my neck long ago (yay for film) so I always knew before I trip the shutter whether a shot is going to be colour or BW/sepia. I still carry this habit to this day... I see the final shot before I take the picture. Oddly enough, looking now I still have about the same ratio of color to BW/sepia as I did back with film. I guess it's all just habit.

saikit wrote in post #10661647 (external link)
What I don't understand is why you need to use that many cameras - Just switch lenses. It's not that hard =P

Hahaha, I actually don't like switching lenses. I keep missing stuff while I switch lenses. I figure I have multiple cameras that all have different strengths. Since I already have them in my bag, why not strap them around my neck too? It does save me quite a bit of time to now swap lenses so much. For example, for the processional, I get a telephoto closeup shot, then a wider 50mm shot with some of the guests visible, and then an ultrawide shot with the whole church visible. I could never do that by lens switching. It's all preference I guess. :)

Not to mention, I've dropped 6 lenses while trying to rush lens changes. I'm just a bit clumsy I guess. LOL

-Lloyd

sponsored links

12,320 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bride in a bathtub? Why not.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.