Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Feb 2008 (Friday) 16:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1D Mk II and Mk IIn Owners Unite!

this thread is locked
george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 11, 2010 14:18 |  #6376

Any suggestions on camera settings would also be appreciated. I will get the camera in a week for one final trial period. If all goes well I will officially join this club in a few weeks. Thanks!

I have mine set for focus on the half press of the shutter release button. I have tried back button focus, and did not like it. I use the center AF point most of the time. For action, use AI servo, and track the subject for a half second or so with the button at half press, then shoot a burst of two to four frames. Use evaluative metering. See what your results are from that and get back to us.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

sponsored links
pantherphotos
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 11, 2010 14:36 |  #6377

MrChip wrote in post #10702443 (external link)
Hello,

Recently I posted a question regarding optimal camera settings for shooting soccer and outdoor sports. I saw this dedicated 1DIIn thread and decided to post some more general questions here. I have a 40D now but have the opportunity to purchase a low mileage 1DIIn. This would replace my 40D and not be a second body. I tested the camera at a soccer meet this past weekend with mixed results. Overall, very few images were tack sharp. Most were a little fuzzy and a few were way OOF.

I am convinced this was due to 1) me not knowing how to use configure and use the camera, 2) my using IS on my 300F4, and my inability to press the * button for extended times (my finger would slip off as I try to get used to the much heavier camera weight).

Since everyone here loves the Mark II, I am assuming you will be in favor of the upgrade. Can you provide any tips for techniques for a new user? Are there any recommended straps for this heavier set-up? I have a Black River strap but could not use it due to the owners current strap getting in the way. Will this be good enough? Do you shoot sports with a monopod, tripod, or hand held?

Any suggestions on camera settings would also be appreciated. I will get the camera in a week for one final trial period. If all goes well I will officially join this club in a few weeks. Thanks!

Here is a good start for the custom settings. It is what Sports Illustrated recommends:

http://www.siphoto.com​/?canon1DM2N.inc (external link)

Start with these settings, and adjust as you see the need. Make sure that CF 20 is set to slow. That is the setting for AI Servo tracking. That means it will be slower, if you accidentally move your focus point off of the subject. It will retain focus lock a little longer than if it is set to standard, or any of the other settings. That may be the reason you had so-so results.

If you are shooting jpeg, than the 1D2/n needs quite a bit of sharpening. I shoot RAW, so that doesn't matter for me. Just something to know.

If using the * button for focus isn't comfortable, then the half-shutter button press works too. Many prefer the * button, as you can just hold it down. But it needs to be whatever is comfortable for you! I went back and forth several times until I got used to, and now prefer, the * button.

As far as straps, again, it's personal preference. I've wanted to try the Black Rapid system, but currently use a free Smugmug strap I got from my account. It works great, is a neoprene type material, and is very comfortable hanging from my shoulder.

I upgraded from a 50D to a 1D2. I have never missed the 50D, nor regretted the decision. It will be a great upgrade, especially if you are shooting sports.

Eric
Canon EOS 1D MkIIn | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | 70 - 200 f/2.8L | 50 f/1.8 II | 2x YN560 flash
My Blog: http://pantherphotogra​phy.wordpress.com/ (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

Camera ­ Nerd
935 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 11, 2010 15:03 |  #6378

pantherphotos wrote in post #10702711 (external link)
Here is a good start for the custom settings. It is what Sports Illustrated recommends:

http://www.siphoto.com​/?canon1DM2N.inc (external link)

Start with these settings, and adjust as you see the need. Make sure that CF 20 is set to slow. That is the setting for AI Servo tracking. That means it will be slower, if you accidentally move your focus point off of the subject. It will retain focus lock a little longer than if it is set to standard, or any of the other settings. That may be the reason you had so-so results.

If you are shooting jpeg, than the 1D2/n needs quite a bit of sharpening. I shoot RAW, so that doesn't matter for me. Just something to know.

If using the * button for focus isn't comfortable, then the half-shutter button press works too. Many prefer the * button, as you can just hold it down. But it needs to be whatever is comfortable for you! I went back and forth several times until I got used to, and now prefer, the * button.

As far as straps, again, it's personal preference. I've wanted to try the Black Rapid system, but currently use a free Smugmug strap I got from my account. It works great, is a neoprene type material, and is very comfortable hanging from my shoulder.

I upgraded from a 50D to a 1D2. I have never missed the 50D, nor regretted the decision. It will be a great upgrade, especially if you are shooting sports.

though the 7d might even be a better upgrade because of the 1.6x crop can be handy, but if you find that 1.3x is long enough then the 1d mark II is great.

canon 7d, canon 5d classic, 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 2.8 (non-is) L, .
my flickr http://www.flickr.com/​photos/51827770@N04/ (external link)

kissel
157 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 11, 2010 15:14 |  #6379

A friend of mine tested his 100-400L with 1.4x II Canon TC on 7D, 50D and my 1Dmk2, all on 400mm. Conclusion is:
50D - AF hunts even in a good light. In twilight sometimes it won't focus at all.
7D - much better, but still not as good as my 1D mk2.

Also, I recently bought an ebay EMF AF confirm chip to use with my numerous MF lenses, and was pleasantly surprised with my camera's performance - AF confirmed at f/16, no matter what AF point you choose!

Nikon D3 and stuff

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 11, 2010 15:18 |  #6380

Aw man, first day I wish for more resolution with a cropped image... someone wants to license a pic but the stock site has a minimum and my image is cropped. Guess I'll try a wider crop to the minimum and an up-res of the crop they liked and hopefully one or both will be acceptable! The same image wouldn't even have been high enough resolution on a 7D, obviously I need an 800mm lens :lol:

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 11, 2010 17:23 |  #6381

george m w wrote in post #10688117 (external link)
Good point Harry, and that's a good way to look at it. That is, in fact kind of how I have mine set up. I normally use the center point, and have the "assist/WB" button set to switch to the registered AF point ( CFn 18=2 ). Quick and handy....love it when shooting people and/or horses.

Cool, this is what I remember reading about somewhere. Thanks!

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

Jason ­ C
do I need to submit a resume...?
4,841 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 11, 2010 19:53 |  #6382

Looks like you got a wee bit more "Chicken Strip" to scuff-up. ;)

Otherwise, nice ride.

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

dophoto
112 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 11, 2010 20:23 |  #6383

shmoogy wrote in post #10700839 (external link)
Hahaha did your head explode from the speed difference? :p

On High speed shutter mode, OMG YES! Sounds like a paintball gun. For the first 5days i forgot how to switch the shutter mode to single click, so i was doing street potrait shots on HS mode. You end up taking 3-4 shots when u mean to take 1.

Some info on the new one, from previous owner.

Cliff Notes:
- new shutter in January 2010 by Canon North Ryde (cost over $500)
- used as backup/secondary camera since then, perhaps 5000 shots total (i'm being optimistic there, it's probably less).
- battery holds great charge and will easily see you through 1500 shots, probably closer to 2000 on a single charge
- has some bumps and marks on the body as you'd expect from a camera which has been used.

Comes with
- Genuine Canon Twin battery charger and australian cord
- AC coupler adaptor
- Aquatech Eyepiece (worth $39.95 RRP)
- possibly a spare Canon Eyepiece (if I can find it!)
- various USB and AV cables (sitting in the box somewhere)
- the box and manual (have to dig out the manual from someplace)

So i ended up getting it for just under $1200 AUD. As i also do alot fo motorsport stuff, most guys still are shooting with the mk2's. As they are better for that than mk3s, in the field.
Guy i got it off, went to a mk4. Alot are also going that route atm, so you can bit up some good deals.

Been out shooting alot of different stuff since i got it to familiarise myself with different conditions. Portrait, night, motorsport, etc.

GuitarFreak
894 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 11, 2010 20:31 |  #6384

I'll be ordering the 70-200 f/2.8L on monday :D I can't wait!

1D MkIII | A2E + VG-10 | 430EX II | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | Σ 14-24 f/2.8
DA (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 12, 2010 04:18 |  #6385

Great bike shot, inspiration to keep shooting

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

kawboy613
860 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 12, 2010 07:25 |  #6386

MrChip wrote in post #10702443 (external link)
Hello,

Recently I posted a question regarding optimal camera settings for shooting soccer and outdoor sports. I saw this dedicated 1DIIn thread and decided to post some more general questions here. I have a 40D now but have the opportunity to purchase a low mileage 1DIIn. This would replace my 40D and not be a second body. I tested the camera at a soccer meet this past weekend with mixed results. Overall, very few images were tack sharp. Most were a little fuzzy and a few were way OOF.

I am convinced this was due to 1) me not knowing how to use configure and use the camera, 2) my using IS on my 300F4, and my inability to press the * button for extended times (my finger would slip off as I try to get used to the much heavier camera weight).

Since everyone here loves the Mark II, I am assuming you will be in favor of the upgrade. Can you provide any tips for techniques for a new user? Are there any recommended straps for this heavier set-up? I have a Black River strap but could not use it due to the owners current strap getting in the way. Will this be good enough? Do you shoot sports with a monopod, tripod, or hand held?

I'm deffinately no pro with this camera, but my 2 cents worth, are, as already suggested, use Cf 20 "tracking speed" set to slow, focus which ever way is comfotable to you, back button * does take some time to get used to, but I've found it to be better for me as the shutter button is SO sensitive on the 1D series and on mine i couldn't "feel" the half press so I was getting a LOT of OOF shots. Not such a problem anymore since getting used to the * button to focus. If weight is an issue, use a monopod, that's how I started with sports, now i hand hold just about all the time unless using my 300 f/2.8 And do to my neck injuries and the weight of this body/lens combo, i've found the Black Rapid strap "sling style" to be amazing! 1 more thing, I only turn on my IS on the 70-200 for static shots, as I found with chasing sports subjects around would make the IS wacky.... Since turning it off, I get much better results. Again, just my experiences, hope this helps and let us know what happens !

Tim
GEAR & FEEDBACK
Website http://www.bent-treephotography.com (external link) its small right now, but.... it's a start !

kdarling
82 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 12, 2010 07:49 |  #6387

hpulley wrote in post #10702975 (external link)
Guess I'll try a wider crop to the minimum and an up-res of the crop they liked and hopefully one or both will be acceptable!

I've had very good results with the stair-step method of up-sizing an image (http://www.imphotograp​hy.com/downloads/ssima​gesize.htm (external link)). I think I did +10% in 3 rounds so approx 33% larger in each dimension - but then again, that wasn't for pro use.

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 12, 2010 08:45 |  #6388

kdarling wrote in post #10707147 (external link)
I've had very good results with the stair-step method of up-sizing an image (http://www.imphotograp​hy.com/downloads/ssima​gesize.htm (external link)). I think I did +10% in 3 rounds so approx 33% larger in each dimension - but then again, that wasn't for pro use.

Thanks, I'll give that one a try too. I just upsized it from Raw last night, thankfully I had the original Raw with edits all saved so I could give them exactly the same framing and am now waiting to see if it is acceptable. If not I'll try other software.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 12, 2010 09:25 |  #6389

hpulley wrote in post #10702975 (external link)
Aw man, first day I wish for more resolution with a cropped image... someone wants to license a pic but the stock site has a minimum and my image is cropped. Guess I'll try a wider crop to the minimum and an up-res of the crop they liked and hopefully one or both will be acceptable! The same image wouldn't even have been high enough resolution on a 7D, obviously I need an 800mm lens :lol:

I remember reading about people using Alien Skin Blow Up with good results, it's $249 but should pay for itself eventually.

Christian.

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 12, 2010 09:52 |  #6390

20DNewbie wrote in post #10707616 (external link)
I remember reading about people using Alien Skin Blow Up with good results, it's $249 but should pay for itself eventually.

There's that or GenuineFractals and a bunch of free stuff I may have to check out. Or... if I get enough money I can get a 1DIV and forget the upscaling :lol:

sponsored links

1,449,895 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1D Mk II and Mk IIn Owners Unite!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.