Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 03:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any pointers for a portrait noob......natural light

kit ­ lens
Goldmember
1,150 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 09, 2010 03:31 |  #1

Using my 30D, which is noiser than a Harrier jet.......anyone have any particular pointers for portrait shots using only natural light, or possibly just with the built-in flash? I'll be shooting an experienced model with a car.

I've got the equipment in my sig........50 f1.8, kit 18-55, and 100-400L. Should I be shooting anything and everything wide open, and just adjust from there? Never really purposely shot portrait stuff before....just curious as to what everyone says....

My flickr (external link)
rick_reno is a postwhore

sponsored links
Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 09, 2010 05:39 |  #2

If you think the 30D is producing very noisy images, you must be shooting at ISO 3200 and/or underexposing.

If you want to shoot with only sunlight, get yourself some reflectors.

Dave Hoffmann

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 09, 2010 13:37 |  #3

Find a book on available light portraiture. Don't bother with the built-in flash. While you're learning, don't do it in direct sunlight, either.

Whether the lens should be wide-open or not depends on the results you want.

And there's nothing wrong with a 30D.

thran
577 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 09, 2010 21:21 |  #4

shoot at sunset or in the shade man. shoot at low apertures with the 50 for portrait like shots, and shoot with hip angles on the kit lense at mid f stops. You should be mean.

Make cheap reflectors. Cardboard and foil lol.

5Dmkii x2 / 5Dc x 2/Canon 135L / Canon 35Lii / Canon 85Lii / Canon 17-40L / Canon 45mm TSE/ Canon 430 EXII / Sony a7 / Zeiss 35
@jonathanyacoub / facebook fan page (external link) / website (external link)

RL.
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 11, 2010 00:08 as a reply to  @ thran's post |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

I find that the 50 f1.8 is not sharp at 1.8 so I'd stay at 2.8 or faster, but it really depends on the affect you are going for/background. Use the eyes as the focal point and just experiment...I personally like shooting into the sun but it's hard.

Canon > Nikon

borism
Goldmember
3,415 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 11, 2010 07:37 |  #6

I agree with the above
Forget your onboard flash for a subgect like a model with a car
Find a nice place with lots of light at a golden hour of your choice (morning or late afternoon)
Get one or two white (or silver) reflectors to direct the light (be aware of reflections on the car of your surroundings) the covers for cars that are silver to protect your dashboard from the sun work like a charm for around 10$.
Take a helper with you so you can direct him to hold the reflector
Look at your histogram and your blimkies while trying to expose to the right using low ISO sttings

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

andrersa
48 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 12, 2010 02:24 |  #7

I had a 30D and it wasn't noisy even in low light church wedding photography. If exposure if good the noise is very low

sponsored links

2,085 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any pointers for a portrait noob......natural light
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.